Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

iPad App and Usability Questions

I'm uncertain about how to deal with rolls that work by selecting the token, Like Initiative adding to the turn order. For example, one of my characters has a @{selected|token_name} field in almost all their macros. This of course generates the "You attempted to use a roll command looking for the value of a selected token, but no tokens are selected" error, or "...but no valid token was selected!" from &{tracker} Other macros written to refer to the sheet name explicitely or refer to attributes via @{AttributeName} seem fine. *************** Is there any way to access your Macros (not Abilities), or show abilities in the Chat window instead of the Basic Rolls panel? *************** When a character sheet is loaded on an iPad, what's the refresh rate between the Attributes/Abilities page that's loaded and the campaign? ie: If I have a character loaded on the iPad and on the web and make a New Ability on the web, how can we update what's loaded on the iPad? It's cached and I haven't found a way to refresh it other than re-joining the campaign on the iPad.
I totally agree, nearly all of the rolling I do requires macros with token selection. So while it's nice to have a stand alone app, looks like I'm going to have to keep using the site on the iPad safari browser
I agree, this seems a little problematic.
Also getting similar errors for some complex macros where you insert a spell level or a mod of some kind,
Yeah we definitely need to figure out something for the selected_token stuff. For &{tracker} it's simple enough (just don't auto-add anything to the tracker) but for other stuff I'm not sure what to do. Maybe allow you to select something on the turn tracker page? I'll look into the refresh issue for the Abilities/Attributes tab. In theory it should be instant. And yes we're planning to add a way to use your Macros on the tablet.

Edited 1427900652
If I may make a possible suggestion towards the macros piece; perhaps it would be possible to optionally select or swap out the initiative or dice roll panel and select a Macro panel instead? Having macros and chat on the same screen , for me at least, generally means I'm never manually rolling anything... and in a pinch I can always type the roll in chat. So swapping out dice roller for macro buttons would be more efficient in that scenario At a table-top game, as a player, the initiative order would remain unused unless everyone and the GM was using the app together. That seems to be more a feature suited for playing with other roll20 players over web. Being able to reclaim that space with macro or ability buttons would be a nice touch.

Edited 1430238132
Another option here, which doesn't solve the initiative but I really like the reroll feature in chat, what if it also kept track of what "attack/Cast spell" abilities you use from the sheet and saves them there? You could pull the name from the box "halberd" or "burning hands" save having to live in the sheet so much. Also maybe storing vitals "hp" there as well under a new section.