Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Android App, what does it work on?

I have a Galaxy 3 tablet and a Galaxy S5 phone. It says both are incompatible.
There is a bit more information on compatibility here: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Roll20_for_iPad_and_Androi" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Roll20_for_iPad_and_Androi</a>... Do you know what version of android your tablet is running?
Hmm, maybe I just need an update. I'll check and see if I can run an update on my tablet.
Interesting that it says the S5 is incompatible, it worked fine on my S4 (running 4.4.2), the interface is geared towards a tablet but the app installed fine. Ironically it was marked as incompatible on my Tablet (Asus Transformer Prime) but I think that's just because it's running an older version of Android (4.0ish off the top of my head).
Hell, if they would backdate it to use an older version of android, like 4.0 or 4.1 I would consider subscribing and giving them money, or even buying the app itself.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Felix said: Hell, if they would backdate it to use an older version of android, like 4.0 or 4.1 I would consider subscribing and giving them money, or even buying the app itself. 4.4 was most likely selected because the app relies on something in Android 4.4+. Considering what the app ties into (Roll20, an existing webapp), I suspect the main feature is the WebView implementation. Or, considering some sheets are still slow on some devices, the improved memory management may be desired. GPU acceleration is probably used by devices that are capable of rendering the 3D dice. Moving forward, one of the top suggestions in the suggestions forum is printing character sheets, and Android 4.4 includes a new printing framework. I don't claim to have an inside track on the decisions Riley and Steve have made with regard to the app, I'm just speculating. However, speaking from experience as an Android app developer, the minimum version is usually chosen for a reason.
It becomes harder to test if you open it up to older versions of Android; I don't feel like 4.0 is that old but as I understand it there are fundamental differences in terms of development and they have to draw the line somewhere. I suppose they could theoretically remove the strict requirement for 4.4 and just noted that only 4.4 or later is *officially* supported but that's their call; I can see the potential for people then complaining and asking for fixes regardless of official support.
The reason we have to use 4.4 is because they put in a totally new WebView (the main component we rely on) that is based on Chromium rather than the old Android browser in that version. The older WebView doesn't have the functionality we need to make the app work with the dynamic character sheets, among other things. I know that the Android ecosystem can be wonky in that not every device has access to 4.4+, but unfortunately the software requires that new functionality. When we were doing the Alpha we did have testers who used older Android versions to test it, and they found that the app did not work at all.
that makes me a sad panda, i understand the necessity behind it and i'm glad you elaborated as to why. now I just need to figure out how to get my 3 year old tab up to date.
Guess I will just have to hope that they eventually update my tablet to 4.4 -kicks Samsung and google- the update is out in germany already! Gimme!
I read on the provided link (Thanks Sarah A!) that it is for Tablets, and nowhere are phones mentioned. While I do have a tablet, it is older, and I will have to check where it is, as it and my phone were listed as incompatible. I believe that I am due an upgrade for my phone, but may either delay or speed that up if I knew -if- there were plans to support phones, and if that was the case, if there was a minimum version. (My phone is 4.4.2, so, it would work, if it was for phones, as it stands now.)
Doesn't help in your specific situation but I can confirm I'm using a phone on Android 4.4.2 and the app works fine (albeit a little squished). I can only guess that some other factor is making your phone incompatible.
I have a Galaxy S 4 that is running 4.4.2 and Google Play states it is not compatible. It's through Cricket (don't laugh hehe) if that has any impact
Mine is an S3 also 4.4.2 Oh well!
I am running 4.4.2 android with a 1080p screen. Says incompatible. I suspect that since i recently upgraded to 4.4.2 from 4.1.2 (i know), that "IT" doesnt know about my current hardware. - how do i tell google play about any changes to OS, etc? - is there a way to get an .apk file or something and manually install?
Will this be available for ither versions of android at any point? My tablets run 4.2.2
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Jennifer H,. the answer is 'Not Likely' because of the reason below. Riley D. said: The reason we have to use 4.4 is because they put in a totally new WebView (the main component we rely on) that is based on Chromium rather than the old Android browser in that version. The older WebView doesn't have the functionality we need to make the app work with the dynamic character sheets, among other things.
My Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is running Android 4.4.4, and is more powerful than many of the "tablets" on the market. Is there a way to get this on the list of approved devices? We have 4 of them in our family and would really love to use them around the table.
My Google Nexus 6 (Android 5.1) and my son's Galaxy Note S3 (Android 4.4.2) are both incompatible, according to Google Play Store. Maybe next time...
Hello devs, can you try sending me an apk with the "supports-screens" section of the manifest modified for it to work on newer 'phablet's like the Note 4? I would be glad to test it and see if there are any funky bits compared to my Nexus 9 that it works on now.
I've got android 5.0.1 on my Galaxy Note 4 and it is giving me an incompatible notice.
Well the Galaxy Note 10.1 is stuck on 4.1.XX so wont work :( The Note 3 is up to 4.4.2 and wont install either....

Edited 1428425082
App does not work, Says Incompatible... ?!?!?!? Samsung Galaxy s4 , 4.4.2.. Please FIX asap.... EDIT. Just saw its for tablets only... that stinks