Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Chat Archive vanished?

I run a weekly campaign, but it's winding up and we're going to play something else next. So, I created a second "Untitled" campaign to begin preparations, and after testing some things, I deleted the chat archive for it. I came back this week, and found that it had deleted most of the log for that campaign, leaving only a few dice rolls in the archive, which was weird. I tried deleting it a second time and it finally cleared the rest of Untitled's chat archive, so I was like, "whatever." But now we come to the real problem, which is that somehow my main campaign's chat archive was totally wiped, and this is going to suck because I don't actually remember what happened last time. Can this possibly be reverted from a backup or anything?
1427995507
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Unfortunatley not.
Okay, well hopefully my players remember it better than I do. I have a copy of the chat log saved, but it's before last session, so it's no help. Seriously, you guys don't do backups? That's actually legitimately scary. What happens if there's a bug or a hack, and everyone's campaigns get corrupted or wiped? If you don't have backups of them, you should at least have a method for people to download a tar of the campaign files to make a local backup for themselves, and to restore from that backup, so if something really bad happens you guys don't have to say "Sorry, folks, rebuild all your campaigns from scratch."
1428000155
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Jeremy, We back up the campaigns and some of the periphery elements around them. However, the chat archive is not one of them. Which is why there is a big red confirmation button with a warning saying that it cannot be undone.
Well, that's reassuring to hear. (OTOH, I don't see the point of skimping on space by not saving the chat archives, since text is so compressible even a large archive would be much smaller than one of my maps. But that may be largely my annoyance at the bug that out wiped my main campaign's chat archive) Thanks for responding.