Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[Script] Edge of the Empire Dice with Images in the Chat Window

[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Cory said: Hey Rhino. Great work btw, your sheets have been invaluable. Just one question. I'm trying to use the initiative for the GM sheet but every time I try to roll it states in the chat, "Please update character name field" Where so I do this. I've put names everywhere I can, it's literally driving me insane. Please update character name field indicates that the Character sheet you are trying to call, does not have the name field filled in. When you are expecting to call a separate sheet, you need to fill out at minimum 3 areas; The Name of the Character Sheet This is the name that appears on the top of the Character Sheet. It is also what is displayed in the Journal. The Name of the Character This is the "Name" in the Character Info Tab of the Character Sheet Tab of the Character Sheet itself. Open the Character Sheet Look at the tabs at the top, click the far left one, titled "Character Sheet" Below the Top Stats, Dice Pool, and Destiny Pool, there is another set of tabs. Look for the one labeled "Character Info" On this tab there is a "Name" field this must match the field in step 1 exactly. No extra spaces, or extra characters. The field you are expecting to call Whatever field you are expecting to call, should have some sort of value in it. =) I added this information to the Wiki
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
A Twitch Streamer requested a method to display the Destiny Points remaining in the chat window. After multiple attempts to make it and then make it pretty, 4.0.3.10&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/SWRPG-API-Compatible#Curre" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/SWRPG-API-Compatible#Curre</a>... added that feature. Let me know if it is what you want it to display. I added a few subtle things to the Destiny Pool chat thing as well. When the GM tries to use a Dark Side point and there are none left in the pool it sends the GM a Whisper. Likewise, when the Player tries to use a Light Side point and there are none left it whispers them as well. If the Dice Pool system gets reset, it now announces the hiccup and then Whispers the troubleshooting for it to the GM. Pictures!&nbsp; <a href="http://imgur.com/a/WWaQL" rel="nofollow">http://imgur.com/a/WWaQL</a> If you have more ideas (I think the only one I have not done is the GM Whisper) let me know.
Is there any way to implement an option to combine the skill list into one big list? Splitting it into combat and non-combat is somewhat annoying when using the Star Wars Character Generator by OggDude. I'm constantly scrolling up and down when trying to enter skills and make sure everything matches.
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
That is more a failing in OggDude's than in the Roll20&nbsp;sheet. The lack of useful way to sort the skills in that program has been an annoyance of mine as well.&nbsp;&nbsp;The sheet's display of skills is like the official character sheets. If there is interest I might look into it, but it will add a significant chunk to the code (the current skills section is 2500 lines). It would take a large effort to add this to the code without redesigning the whole sheet to lower the lines of code.
Yeah... guess I'll just deal with it. :/
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Unless you want to help me redesign the code to do it =), it is quite a few moving parts to make a simple option like that available.
We are using this in our game, or we were going to start using it, but for some reason the dice rolling from our character sheets completely started to fail yesterday and we have no idea what is causing it how to even go about sorting it out...
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Nathaniel R. said: We are using this in our game, or we were going to start using it, but for some reason the dice rolling from our character sheets completely started to fail yesterday and we have no idea what is causing it how to even go about sorting it out... What version of the script/sheet? What Browser? Did you see any errors in the API Console Window?
I'm the owner of Nathaniel R.'s game. We're using version 4.0.2.17 of the API script, and the dice rolling is breaking down on both Firefox and Chrome for me. It works for a while, and then just stops. I've gotten it to start up again by just re-saving the API script. Unfortunately, the API console window shows that there was an error, but it doesn't have any error message generated.
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hate to sound like "every tech support person ever" but the answer is "upgrade to the current version". <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/SWRPG-API-Compatible#Current_Version.28s.29" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/SWRPG-API-Compatible#Current_Version.28s.29</a> I would rather not bother to re-troubleshoot a fix I have already fixed. 4.0.2.18 is the version I submitted to be the next Roll20 "official" SWRPG sheet, and the current "in progress" version is 4.0.3.12. On the bright side 4.0.3.12 has lots of fixes/goodies that 4.0.2.17 did not have.
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Version 4.0.3.12 got merged with the Roll20 GitHub today so, I will recommend everyone use this version now. Soon as it is added to the dropdown it will be the only available version. Any other ideas for improvements (aside from the hidden/GM Roll, have not decided how to implement this yet.) ? The last suggested idea (Destiny Pool remaining/new display in chat for Twitch Streamers) has been implemented on the current version so I need to have the next challenge/idea. I have been working on methods to import data from OggDude's Generator, but due to Roll20 rules I cannot distribute those, but I might be able to distribute with blank databases. The only other things I have planned/in the works at the moment are related to figuring out a way to change the colors, and displaying on the sheet somewhere that it is FFG SW RPG rather than just ignoring it.
It's not against the rules to create a script to import data from an external character creator. I've done so in the past for the D&D 4e DDI character builder.
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
HoneyBadger said: It's not against the rules to create a script to import data from an external character creator. I've done so in the past for the D&D 4e DDI character builder. If my scripts are filled with all the weapons/armor/cybernetics/species stats/talent descriptions, I am pretty sure that would be closer to the realm of "not okay". Though if that IS allowed, and I have it wrong, then I have some ideas of how to make it really fun with those scripts filled in with the data. Soon as I finish up the next set it can nearly build a full character from a few macro commands.
The xml from the character generator has that info. All the import script would be doing is taking the xml data and shoving it into attributes and abilities on the Roll20 character sheet. You shouldn't be including any game data really. Just basically copy and paste from xml to roll20.
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I got some word back, I think if they like the newest update it should solve the issue they had with it. Should be replacing the old sheet soon. =)
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
So I decided to make some "how does it look" changes to the Character Sheet. A preview of the changes from Imgur&nbsp; <a href="http://imgur.com/a/4fxya" rel="nofollow">http://imgur.com/a/4fxya</a> Basically the changes are; I took&nbsp;the purple hexagon that is in the titles of sections and made it more of a star field. I added an image for the top of the Group Sheet I added a listing at the top of the pages that shows it is for Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Role Playing Game I added small images of Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, and Force and Destiny. I got this idea from looking at other character sheets As a note the sheet I submitted most recently to Roll20 I added the "original" vehicle tabs to the vehicle section to make transitioning to this sheet easier, but in this new update I moved it in this update to a 5th top tab as it looked better and didn't clutter up people that have already&nbsp;transitioned to this sheet. Any comments on my choices are appreciated. I will post the code for it after some comments either way (there is no benefit to uploading code to a design change, if people don't like it).
Hey! I've been trying to use the new Script Library function from the Dev Server to automate adding the dice roller, but its always returning&nbsp; "ERROR: You cannot set the imgsrc or avatar of an object unless you use an image that is in your Roll20 Library. See the API documentation for more info." I've tried to it with and without the character sheet, using Chrome, but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?&nbsp;
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Cosbones said: Hey! I've been trying to use the new Script Library function from the Dev Server to automate adding the dice roller, but its always returning&nbsp; "ERROR: You cannot set the imgsrc or avatar of an object unless you use an image that is in your Roll20 Library. See the API documentation for more info." I've tried to it with and without the character sheet, using Chrome, but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?&nbsp; That script is the old script that works with the Star Wars: Edge of the Empire (API-Compatible) sheet. The author of that sheet stepped away from that project last august and is no longer working on it. Since then, I took over with a "fork" of the project (I refer to as the Star Wars: FFG API-Compatible). As such it uses a different script that works with the changes I have made to the associated sheet. Your methods forward are; Use the appropriate Sheet associated to that script and expect zero support from an abandoned project. Switch to the custom sheet I have been working on (details are listed here <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/SWRPG-API-Compatible" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/SWRPG-API-Compatible</a> ) Wait until Roll20 accepts my recent uploads to their GitHub This has the appropriate FFG-SWRPG-Dice-Roller.js script Submitted to their API Script GitHub with the format that should work for the one click install method that was just released. Additionally it has an updated character sheet with more functionality and some slight design improvements over the old sheet. This should replace the current Edge sheet and should have a minimal amount of effort to utilize the new sheet (once it gets accepted). Note: The sheet listed on the wiki is this same sheet + script and has instructions how to use the custom sheet.
Thank you for the very quick response. I'll switch over to the newer version as soon as, then.&nbsp;

Edited 1457655394
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Soon as I saw the one click install feature had in their&nbsp;display&nbsp;picture the Edge script, I immediately did what I could to make the correct one uploaded to try to prevent issues like you experienced. I am sorry that you experienced issues.
Can someone give me a brief rundown on how to use the sheet to roll crits. I think that if you roll a crit in a sheet it automatically applies the crit, right? So a GM should pull up the character's sheet and roll the crit there? Also, how do you handle crits on enemies, where one sheet might represent four or five different people or minion groups on the field (stormtroopers, for instance). Thanks. I feel like I just haven't grasped how to use that one feature as intended. :)
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Robert D. said: Can someone give me a brief rundown on how to use the sheet to roll crits. I think that if you roll a crit in a sheet it automatically applies the crit, right? So a GM should pull up the character's sheet and roll the crit there? Also, how do you handle crits on enemies, where one sheet might represent four or five different people or minion groups on the field (stormtroopers, for instance). Thanks. I feel like I just haven't grasped how to use that one feature as intended. :) Your first question, yes if you click roll a click it does the behind the scenes to apply the appropriate randomly generated result. I would not have the GM do it, but the Player affected by the crit. Only in the case of an NPC critical would the GM roll it. Critcal Injuries /Hits on enemies depend on the type. Minions The "tracking" of the critical doesn't matter as much as just causing the critical does. Per the rules as written a Critical "kills a minion" Though if you read the text it really just incapacitates and only kills if it is appropriate for the story. Rivals Criticals work as normal. Nemesis Criticals work as normal.
All right, but rivals are usually generic NPCs. There isn't necessarily one per fight. It's rare for me to only have one of anything except for the named bad guy. So if I do it your way, any crit rolled for one applies to them all.
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Robert D. said: All right, but rivals are usually generic NPCs. There isn't necessarily one per fight. It's rare for me to only have one of anything except for the named bad guy. So if I do it your way, any crit rolled for one applies to them all. Why you may use a group of Rivals, they are individuals, see page 389 of the Edge of the Empire, Core Rule Book. If you are using Rivals in a similar way as minions, but more powerful, that is an available option. As to this being "my way", it is actually supporting the by the book, Rules as Written method.
Sorry, I must not be making myself clear. My problem is EXACTLY that they are individuals. They are individuals who all use one sheet, so any critical applied to one would be applied to all. Let's look at the beginner set adventure. The first fight is the PCs vs an equal number of hunters. The hunters are rivals. They are individuals. By your advice, I believe I'd need to make a separate character sheet for every hunter in the fight. To carry that forward, the only combat encounter in that adventure that doesn't have multiple, identical rivals is the one where they introduce minions.
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Robert D. said: They are individuals who all use one sheet, so any critical applied to one would be applied to all. If you list them all on one sheet you are treating them like a group. Due to the method that the Critical injury code displays, in order to make it display in a method like I think you are describing it would require a full Critical code change that involves an understanding that I like. I have requested 3 times in the past on the forums to get help redesigning it, but never got a response. So, essentially, the character sheet works correct. 1 sheet = 1 or more Minions, 1 Rival, 1 Nemesis, or 1 Player Character. If you want to list a dozen Rivals with 1 character sheet, you are essentially treating them as a group, as there is only 1 health pool. This is an allowed option, but is not supported by the Character Sheet. It is recommended you use the proper 1 Sheet per Rival method.

Edited 1457989018
Robert D.
Sheet Author
Wow. I really fascinated by how you run your games. If you run a published adventure, do you individually name every rival and give them a separate sheet. I'm not being facetious. I really want to understand. Let me expand on that. In the example I gave above, you have four pcs, so the adventure says they are to fight four hunters. Do you make four identical hunters sheets, and give them all individual names to keep them straight?

Edited 1457990485
Robert D.
Sheet Author
Well all that's handled by the tokens. If you attach initiative to anything, it's always a token anyway. (I haven't tried it with this sheet, just every other game I've run in roll20, also the rules say to have all similar npcs use the same slot, and so even if you have initiative attached to the sheet, it would be one slot for all the NPCs with the same stats anyway). Each token tracks its&nbsp;wounds separately. The only thing that isn't handled by the tokens separately are all the things that are identical, like skill rolls, and then criticals. Which is why I asked the question to begin with. Criticals are the only outlier. I never dreamed you were making four seperate hunter sheets, or five bounty hunter sheets or what have you. Interesting.
Well this is straight out of the Beginner Game: "In the case of NPCs, it is normal for groups of similar NPCs (such as the hunters) to act at the same time. Just like PCs, NPCs can act in any order and can change their order from round to round." Those are rivals, and the game teaches you to have them all run in the same slot. Not just this one instance, like the times in the Beginner Game where it's bringing you up to speed slowly and makes it clear that these are simplified rules for one encounter. It says that's the normal way to play. I don't think the core book ever says that, though. I was checking and couldn't find a reference there. It writes around NPCs a bit, but I don't see any advice on handling NPC groups in the core rules. Not with a cursory glance anyway. When I read the core rules, I figured they'd just assumed experienced GMs would have all like NPCs act in one group, and that they only had to explain that to beginner GMs, hence the note in the one place and not the other. It's an easy mistake to make (I've made it in my own books.)
This game is all about keeping things moving. It would seem strange to add all that book keeping.
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Since this is a rules discussion and not a Script/Sheet discussion I suggest it continues on PM. I quoted the page number and explained the reason for the Character Sheet's methods, beyond that is beyond this thread.
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It should be noted as of today, the dropdown list is updated with this version of the character sheet. To use the new sheet, select the Star Wars: Edge of the Empire (API-Compatible) sheet. It will need the updated script as well, until they upload the new script to the repository (and the One Click Install), it can be found @ <a href="https://jsfiddle.net/n7o95cad/" rel="nofollow">https://jsfiddle.net/n7o95cad/</a>
Congrats, KR! Some nice work on the script and I really appreciate the way you are listening to the community!
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
GM Matt said: Congrats, KR! Some nice work on the script and I really appreciate the way you are listening to the community! Thank you. On your second point, the whole point of me doing my changes in the first place was to help the community. I didn't know enough code to start one from scratch, but editing I can do. Without the community making suggestions, and me listening to them, it would have been better left as a custom sheet, as it would be just for me. Now it isn't just me that created it, and I tried to list all the people that helped in the credits (listed in the script). When I got suggestions from Reddit, or downloaded a new character sheet that inspired a change, I listed it in the credits (see <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/FFG-SWRPG-Dice-Roller#Credits" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/FFG-SWRPG-Dice-Roller#Credits</a> ).

Edited 1458185071
GM Matt
Sheet Author
KR- Is there a thread for submitting bug reports/requests? I've got two: 1. It looks like the jscript is auto-including penalties for encumbrance in the dice pool (which is really nice). However, I spent a few minutes with a friend tonight trying to diagnose what we thought was &nbsp;a "problem" with too many setback dice appearing on a character's pool. When we finally figured out that it was a reversal of the threshold/current settings for encumbrance on the character sheet at issue, it occurred to us that it would be nice if the chat output for a skill roll included a notation for any dice that were auto-included in the roll. 2. I haven't personally confirmed this, but I've been told that Hull Trauma on the vehicle sheet can't go above 99. You can hard-type in numbers over 100, but then you get error messages when trying to set up weapons, etc. It would be nice, for creating capitol ships, if the game could handle higher numbers for both HT and SS. Thanks, Matt

Edited 1458187188
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
GM Matt said: 1.&nbsp; it occurred to us that it would be nice if the chat output for a skill roll included a notation for any dice that were auto-included in the roll. This was a feature of the old script that I have not touched, and it has always auto-calculated + auto added dice. This enforces the rules, which I have tried to do as well. I can understand why you would want the explanation, though I can also see why people would think it would get annoying that it states a rule that is known. I will look into making a command that can be turned on/off, but it involves javascript code I will have to learn, so I cannot guarantee how long it will take. GM Matt said: 2. I haven't personally confirmed this, but I've been told that Hull Trauma on the vehicle sheet can't go above 99. You can hard-type in numbers over 100, but then you get error messages when trying to set up weapons, etc. It would be nice, for creating capitol ships, if the game could handle higher numbers for both HT and SS. I will be able to get this in the version update (4.0.4.4). I removed the limits on strain/hull trauma, as well as one I saw on the encumbrance.
Well for the encumbrance, that was me having issues tracking those setback down xD. But I wouldn't mind something in the roll and results table that just simply states *Over Encumbered* or *Weapon Damage* or something of the like. Then again now that I know it does it for me hopefully I can remember that next time because I didn't even know it calculated that for me before last night. Nice feature though.
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Dustin D. said: Well for the encumbrance, that was me having issues tracking those setback down xD. But I wouldn't mind something in the roll and results table that just simply states *Over Encumbered* or *Weapon Damage* or something of the like. Then again now that I know it does it for me hopefully I can remember that next time because I didn't even know it calculated that for me before last night. Nice feature though. Just a note, due to where those bits are added into the results, and the code behind that, while it sounds like "just put this note here" is&nbsp;3 - 16 hours of coding and testing. If I guess the correct spot and code options to make things look right, it is closer to the 3 hours, if I mess anything up or things are mixed up, closer to the 16. Being that I like it streamlined, I will put in on the back burner near the /gmroll suggestions.
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Anyone else run into the bug listed here ( <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3121466/ffg-star-wars-character-sheet-bug-report" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3121466/ffg-star-wars-character-sheet-bug-report</a> ) I cannot seem to replicate it, so I am unsure if it is a sheet problem or just that one user.

Edited 1458501983
One Bug that i found from my side (Current Version: 4.0.4.5):&nbsp; I am using Chrome and when i try to rearrange Talents and Special Abilities i click Modify and try to drag to a new order with the icons on the left side. But nothing is happening.
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Frank O. said: One Bug that i found from my side (Current Version: 4.0.4.5):&nbsp; I am using Chrome and when i try to rearrange Talents and Special Abilities i click Modify and try to drag to a new order with the icons on the left side. But nothing is happening. There is nothing in the HTML/CSS/Javascript code that can affect that.
GM Knowledge Rhino said: Frank O. said: One Bug that i found from my side (Current Version: 4.0.4.5):&nbsp; I am using Chrome and when i try to rearrange Talents and Special Abilities i click Modify and try to drag to a new order with the icons on the left side. But nothing is happening. There is nothing in the HTML/CSS/Javascript code that can affect that. Seems to be a problem when you popout the character sheet. When you use the char sheet inside roll20 everything is fine and you can reorder. If you pop it out and use a seperate window it won't work.&nbsp;
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Frank O. said: GM Knowledge Rhino said: Frank O. said: One Bug that i found from my side (Current Version: 4.0.4.5):&nbsp; I am using Chrome and when i try to rearrange Talents and Special Abilities i click Modify and try to drag to a new order with the icons on the left side. But nothing is happening. There is nothing in the HTML/CSS/Javascript code that can affect that. Seems to be a problem when you popout the character sheet. When you use the char sheet inside roll20 everything is fine and you can reorder. If you pop it out and use a seperate window it won't work.&nbsp; While I understand it is a bug, it is for the bug report forum, and not anything that can be changed in the html/css/javascript of this sheet to change that bug.
I immensely enjoyed this API you have made as a player, so let me first just say thank you very much. Now I realise with updates things change, however I cannot help but feel the new sheets look a bit... Clunky, perhaps it is just not my taste. Is there a possibility of there being an option to switch back to the previous look for the updated sheets? Or would one be required to utilise the old API for that?
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Stario said: I immensely enjoyed this API you have made as a player, so let me first just say thank you very much. Now I realise with updates things change, however I cannot help but feel the new sheets look a bit... Clunky, perhaps it is just not my taste. Is there a possibility of there being an option to switch back to the previous look for the updated sheets? Or would one be required to utilise the old API for that? Which part do you think is clunky? the display of the rolls in the boxes (Roll Templates), the black star field title bars, or ? Unfortunately I cannot say "if it can be turned off" without knowing which part specifically doesn't work for you.

Edited 1458698216
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Dustin D. said: Well for the encumbrance, that was me having issues tracking those setback down xD. But I wouldn't mind something in the roll and results table that just simply states *Over Encumbered* or *Weapon Damage* or something of the like. Then again now that I know it does it for me hopefully I can remember that next time because I didn't even know it calculated that for me before last night. Nice feature though. GM Matt said: KR- Is there a thread for submitting bug reports/requests? I've got two: 1. It looks like the jscript is auto-including penalties for encumbrance in the dice pool (which is really nice). However, I spent a few minutes with a friend tonight trying to diagnose what we thought was &nbsp;a "problem" with too many setback dice appearing on a character's pool. When we finally figured out that it was a reversal of the threshold/current settings for encumbrance on the character sheet at issue, it occurred to us that it would be nice if the chat output for a skill roll included a notation for any dice that were auto-included in the roll. Okay so I had time to do some initial testing on this. Until I figure out to have a way to turn it off, I created a 1 off code version. This will not be uploaded to the GitHub, but will solve the "problem" of being unaware of the rule. <a href="https://jsfiddle.net/gxvr1x0u/" rel="nofollow">https://jsfiddle.net/gxvr1x0u/</a> has the code. This code will be commented out of released versions.