Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Push To Talk using publishAudio()

This will eliminate background noise, people eating, reverb if someone is sitting in the room with you, people talking over each other, and a countless number of other audio problems. The devs at Tokbox say you can implement this easily with publishAudio(). Here is a link for convenience. Here.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Neat idea! Might also be nice if a user's name showed something when they were pushing the talk button, so you could avoid speaking over them.
The Aaron said: Neat idea! Might also be nice if a user's name showed something when they were pushing the talk button, so you could avoid speaking over them. That would be a fantastic idea!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I don't do voice games but this could encourage me to start.
Another nice feature would be if the GM keys up to talk it mutes everyone else. That way the GM can get information across better and has priority.
Absolutely. My players and I have been using Skype for our voice chats. In fact, at least one of my players didn't even know Roll20 had a voice/video chat system in place. We had never used it due to some issues we had had in the early days of Roll20. After doing some playing around last night, though, we found the Roll20 system to be excellent! We just wish it had a PTT function. Excellent idea, OP. I hope we can see it implemented.
Voted - I have players that would greatly benefit from this as they refuse to use the Roll20 audio because it does NOT have PTT.
PTT should be standard in any voice chat.  We use skype simply because Roll20 doesn't support PTT.

Edited 1444333077
Sirjohn
KS Backer
This feature request has dropped down a bit and wanted to bump the post again as this is a much needed feature for Roll20 and has been a topic of debate for the last two groups I've been in. So much goes on outside of the game (kids,  husband/wife aggro , dogs/cats aggro) during a Roll20 session that most don't want or need broadcasted ingame. In the last two groups I've played with we have used Mumble as our voice client to talk with. When I use the Roll20 voice client I try my best to use the mute option but I will either forget it's on and start talking or forget to turn it off when and the dog starts barking to all the other players. Giving the PTT feature would be a huge win in my option. John
I think we should definitely have a PTT option.  Whether it be a predesigned button at the start, or letting us customize the button we use, it'll be a huge win.  Sometime my group uses Mumble to escape the constant annoyance of having to click the mute button every time we are done talking or want to talk.  
Still waiting. Seems like there's no movement from the devs on any of the top suggestions.
Voting for this, and giving it a bump! We had issues long ago with roll20's voice options, so reverted to skype. However skype sucks lol. I'd love to also not have too many things running and likely to crash mid session! With a push-to-talk in roll20 we can use their nice system without hearing our players' relatives asking what's for breakfast / dinner (we're global lol) c'mon devs, it can't be that hard to do as a lot of open source stuff does it already :D xxx
I will be voting this!  This would be VERY beneficial to one of, or one shot games for us bored DM's you want to run a short 2-3 hour game on an open night. No reason to clutter up or give out our Skype accounts when we can do everything in the roll20 tabletop.
MikeAlpha said: PTT should be standard in any voice chat.  We use skype simply because Roll20 doesn't support PTT. I agree with this, my campaign uses Mumble. I took part in Battleborns beta testing, they had open mics set as standard with PTT being selectable in the options and the community overwhelming asked them to make PTT standard. Open mic'ing is bad manners as well.
+1 for Push to Talk, my players would appreicate it. 
Another +1 for PTT
Giger
Pro
API Scripter
This should also be something enforceable the the GM.
Another yes vote.  I've been wanting this since I first got here.  Google doesn't seem to want to add it to Hangouts and my players aren't into Skype.
Quicknickel said: Another yes vote.  I've been wanting this since I first got here.  Google doesn't seem to want to add it to Hangouts and my players aren't into Skype. Could try Discord.
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
This feature is going to be added with the new chat system I'm working on. It's currently on Dev so that any Pro subscribers can give it a try before it goes live for everyone else. The thing about browsers, though, is that they can only capture key presses when you have that specific window and tab focused. So if you have a pdf or other web page open and try to press the "push-to-talk" key, nothing will happen. You have to specifically be focused on the Roll20 editor for it to be able to see that you are pressing the key. This is just the way browsers work, and is not something we can work around.
Phil B. said: This feature is going to be added with the new chat system I'm working on. It's currently on Dev so that any Pro subscribers can give it a try before it goes live for everyone else. The thing about browsers, though, is that they can only capture key presses when you have that specific window and tab focused. So if you have a pdf or other web page open and try to press the "push-to-talk" key, nothing will happen. You have to specifically be focused on the Roll20 editor for it to be able to see that you are pressing the key. This is just the way browsers work, and is not something we can work around. Awesome job Phil. I have been following this for a while now and I'm glad it was not on deaf ears. I'm very excited to hear all the changes with Roll20. Thanks for the update and hope to check it out soon. John
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
+1
Long completed, not sure how we missed updating here. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Video_and_Voice_Chat#Push_to_Talk" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Video_and_Voice_Chat#Push_to_Talk</a>