Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Update 4/27: Nested Inline Rolls, New Achievements, Better Forum Searching, Chat Timestamps, and more!

Nested Inline Rolls You can now nest inline rolls. It's pretty simple, really; here's a couple quick examples: [[ 5d6&gt;[[2+1]] ]] [[ 1d20 + [[@{attack}+1]]d6 ]] (Note that you don't need those extra spaces just included them since it's easier to read.) It's also super handy for hiding the complicated math inside of things like Character Sheets. If you put all of those possible bonus calculations, for example, inside of an inline roll, then they will be squashed down to just the final math result value. Much neater! A few things to keep in mind: We don't store the detailed information (such as what each specific dice rolled) on the nested rolls, we only show the final total. So for example, you won't see that the d6 in the fourth-level nested roll was a 2. You will only see the final total result of all that nesting inside the outer-most roll. While you can use the nested inline rolls to gain some more control over the order of operations (for example, allowing you to do some math before a roll is checked against a success value), keep in mind that Roll20's order of operations still resolves all variables, attributes, abilities, and roll queries before it does any inline rolls. Practically speaking, that means you can put inline rolls inside of an attribute, but you can't for example use a nested inline roll to dynamically create the name of an attribute you are trying to reference; something like @{attack_number_[[1d6]]} won't work. If you need a refresher course on the order of operations, see here: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Dice_Reference#Order_of_Op" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Dice_Reference#Order_of_Op</a>... The only thing that has changed is that now for the "Inline rolls" step, we'll keep repeating that step until all inline rolls a processed, from the inner-most to outer-most. Let me know if you have any questions or notice any odd behavior with how these work. In addition, I had to completely rewrite the inline roll parsing stuff to make this work, so please let me know if you see any regressions with existing non-nested inline rolls as well. Chat Timestamps There's a new option on the My Settings tab that allows you to turn on Chat Timestamps. These are just little indicators that show when a message was sent by the player. Here's an example: A few notes on these: We only started storing the timestamps internally of messages about 2 weeks ago, so messages older that that will not show timestamps even if the option is enabled. This is a per-player setting, so each player can determine if they want to see them in your campaign. Even if players don't have timestamps turned on, we still now store the timestamp of all messages, so you can have a mix of players in your game and it will work fine. In addition, you can turn the timestamps on after a game has been running for 6 months and you will see them for all the messages, not just from the time you enable the option. Finally, the timestamp will show only the time of the message if it was sent in the last 24 hours. Otherwise, the full date and time will be displayed. New Achievements We've added several new achievements to the site, including keeping track of how many total dice you've rolled using Roll20, how many games you've run, consecutive times visiting the site, using API scripts, and more! Keep an eye on your profiles to start seeing those show up as the update goes live. Note that many of them are only starting to track "from today", so even if you've (for example) used an API Script previously, you won't get the achievement until the next time you do it. We've also made a few small changes to the badges that show up for you on your forum posts. Changed a few colors here and there, and added a new badge for Translators. Better Forum Searching We've ditched the old Google Custom Search we were using in favor of our own in-house implementation of forum searching. You can now search specific forums (just go to the "View All Posts" link for that forum and use the search bar on that page), and results should be more relevant as well as newer. Hopefully this will aid in the ability for new users to get helpful information from the amazing amount of helpful posts that have been written by the community over the past few years. Let us know if it's working better for you or not!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Sweet!!!

Edited 1430167224
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Cartwheel!!! Better Forum SearchingWe've ditched the old Google Custom Search we were using in favor of our own in-house implementation of forum searching. You can now search specific forums (just go to the "View All Posts" link for that forum and use the search bar on that page), and results should be more relevant as well as newer. Hopefully this will aid in the ability for new users to get helpful information from the amazing amount of helpful posts that have been written by the community over the past few years. Let us know if it's working better for you or not!
Nested inline rolls *drool*
Kevin the Barbarian
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Awesome stuff, as usual.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Hee! I really like the new badges and achievements popping up! However, I'm wondering: Perhaps BiggerNumber achievements should replace LowerNumber achievements? Such as 250 hours played replacing 100 hours replacing 50 replacing 10

Edited 1430172890
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
I tend to agree with GenKitty on the lower achievements being replaced by the bigger/higher ones. Awesome update, though. I think I'll love the nested inline rolls. :)

Edited 1430173556
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Nested inline rolls! Yay! I will get to work cleaning up my Shaped 5e sheet. I'm curious if there is a list of achievements. Gotta collect 'em all!

Edited 1430179970
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Riley D. said: New Achievements We've added several new achievements to the site, including keeping track of how many total dice you've rolled using Roll20, how many games you've run, consecutive times visiting the site, using API scripts, and more! Keep an eye on your profiles to start seeing those show up as the update goes live. Note that many of them are only starting to track "from today", so even if you've (for example) used an API Script previously, you won't get the achievement until the next time you do it. We've also made a few small changes to the badges that show up for you on your forum posts. Changed a few colors here and there, and added a new badge for Translators. I'm a sucker for achievements. I just spent several hours finishing off my last three achievements in Final Fantasy 3 on Steam. =) That said, I've got a couple questions: How is the GM For X Campaigns series tracked? I got I've Got An Idea after signing in to the VTT for one of my campaigns. Signing into my other 4 campaigns, however, didn't give me Friendly Neighborhood GM . I can only guess that the achievement also requires other players to have joined the campaign? (Not all of the campaigns I have created have players, such as my API/Character sheet testing campaign.) How is Scribe tracked? I have filled out every piece of information on at least one campaign, but not on all of my campaigns; do all of them need to be fully filled out to get the achievement? Does the campaign need to have been created since 4/27? Something else?
Gold
Forum Champion
Riley D. said: Better Forum Searching We've ditched the old Google Custom Search we were using in favor of our own in-house implementation of forum searching. You can now search specific forums (just go to the "View All Posts" link for that forum and use the search bar on that page), and results should be more relevant as well as newer. Hopefully this will aid in the ability for new users to get helpful information from the amazing amount of helpful posts that have been written by the community over the past few years. Let us know if it's working better for you or not! This is wonderful & I saw another comment (in Suggestions) where Steve said polishing touches to the new advanced-forum search will continue to roll out over the next couple weeks, so I'll be patient for that. So far, my feedback is, it seems to return Per-Post search results, not Per-Thread which might be cleaner. (Similar quirk as often noted for Notifications). Say you go into Suggestions and search for "Jukebox", it's giving about 50-60 search results, but they're actually from just 5-8 threads. Regarding new Achievements -- I'm with Brian, looking for collector hints. *Runs around collecting new achievement badges*

Edited 1430191608
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Brian said: That said, I've got a couple questions: How is the GM For X Campaigns series tracked? I got I've Got An Idea after signing in to the VTT for one of my campaigns. Signing into my other 4 campaigns, however, didn't give me Friendly Neighborhood GM . I can only guess that the achievement also requires other players to have joined the campaign? (Not all of the campaigns I have created have players, such as my API/Character sheet testing campaign.) Making a campaign with no players... That'd be cheating! Scribe definitly involves more than a single campaign.
Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
Roll20 DEV Team - Thank you so much for working hard on this. One thing that wasn't discussed is the fact that NOW you can use roll template helper functions such as Critical Success and Critical Failure with formulas using inline. For example: [[1D20cs&gt;[[@{weapon-crit}+@{weapon-keen}+@{crit-mod}]]]] Works now. This is a HUGE addition to my campaigns.

Edited 1430197460
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Steve K. said: Scribe definitly involves more than a single campaign. A specific number (in which case the description of the achievement should be changed to indicate such), or simply "all the ones you've got" (which honestly seems a bit odd, particularly when it comes to things like duplicating campaigns to fiddle with things)? Steve K. said: Making a campaign with no players... That'd be cheating! It's not like I went out of my way to create extra campaigns, I had them lying around. ~_^ That said, considering it's possible to make any number of free accounts... =P
Gold
Forum Champion
I like the "Never Ending Story" Achievement -- "Ran a campaign lasting for over six months!" Are there higher Achievements on that tree for even longer duration campaigns? That will be interesting to see. If anyone spots one for a year-plus, post about it.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Gold said: Regarding new Achievements -- I'm with Brian, looking for collector hints. *Runs around collecting new achievement badges* Got to have them all.
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
Sorry Gold, it doesn't look like there's one for 1 year + campaigns. I do have one which we've been playing in Roll20 for at least a year and a half. (The one and only forum post which was a test is dated a year ago September and I'm reasonably certain I wouldn't have copied it if I'd extended/copied that campaign since we tend to use email instead so.... :)
Ooo, new Achievements! Runs away screaming
Gold
Forum Champion
Attention Achievement collectors. I noticed a new Achievement some profiles are starting to get now, since the Update has been active for 3 days. It's called "Won't You Be My Neighbor?" . It is for playing on Roll20 on 3 consecutive days.

Edited 1430467514
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Gold said: Attention Achievement collectors. I noticed a new Achievement some profiles are starting to get now, since the Update has been active for 3 days. It's called "Won't You Be My Neighbor?" . It is for playing on Roll20 on 3 consecutive days. Also Them Bones (make 100 rolls), plus achievements for 1,000 ( Dice Slinger ), 5,000 ( High Roller ), and 10,000 rolls ( It's Raining Dice ), as well as Script Runner (run an API script). From testing, it appears you need to run an API !command, specifically; a !command that isn't processed/doesn't exist won't grant the achievement, and scripts which do other things don't work. Even a script which triggers off char messages but not API commands isn't good enough.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
I'm bemused that Script Runner has yet to pop up for me, considering how many scripts I use in my campaign. x.x
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I wonder if there are more for over 3 days of playing on Roll20. Also, I wonder what is defined as "Playing." Certainly, I've been on the site and in the VTT more days than that... probably need more people in it..
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Still kinda curious what's up with Scribe ... all of my campaigns currently have every field filled out, yet no achievement. =(
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Ditto.
Can we get a list of the achievements that are available and the qualifying requisites for each?

Edited 1430971654
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Elibus said: Can we get a list of the achievements that are available and the qualifying requisites for each? Asked basically the same question when the first achievements came out, and received a stoic non-answer. We have been challenged to figure out what achievements are available ourselves. That said, I've made userboxes on the wiki for all of the achievements I'm aware of: All Opinions are Valid (Post on the forums) Won't You Be My Neighbor? (Play on Roll20 for 3 consecutive days) Bughunter (Post in the bug reports forum) Exterminator (Post 10 times in the bug reports forum) Better to Give (Gift someone subscription time) I've Got An Idea (Run 1 game) Friendly Neighborhood GM (Run 5 games) The Dedicated GM (Run 10 games) ??? (Run 25 games -- not sure what the achievement's name is, but the image is viewable) I Know You're Out There (Post a game on LFG) Never Ending Story (Run a game for 6 months) Patron of the Arts (Purchase a pack from the Marketplace) Getting Started (Play 10 hours) Warming Up (Play 50 hours) Getting Good (Play 100 hours) Sands of Time (Play 250 hours) K Club (Play 1,000 hours) Group Gatherer (Play with 5 other people) Socialite (Play with 10 other people) Citizen (Play with 25 other people) Bureaucrat (Play with 50 other people) Representative (Play with 100 other people) Senator (Play with 250 other people) Getting to Know You (Complete your profile) Them Bones (Roll 100 times) Dice Slinger (Roll 1,000 times) High Roller (Roll 5,000 times) It's Raining Dice (Roll 10,000 times) See Me Rollin' (Added an avatar picture) Script Runner (Run an API script command) Sheet Auteur (Create a community character sheet) Scribe (Fill out all fields in your campaigns)
Gold
Forum Champion
@GenKitty , for Script Runner , have you tried making a new campaign since-the-update (possibly need to invite at least 1 player in, so it's considered an actual campaign), and put 1 script and run it? @The Aaron , there is probably another achievement level above "3 days" (most like 2 more levels above that, if not more, if it follows the pattern) but the Update has only been active for approximately 7 days. If the next level is 10 days (a fortnight), 12 days, 14 days, 30 days, or some other duration, then we have yet to discover it. @Brian , I'm also stuck unable to achieve Scribe so far and I don't know why. I filled out all my campaigns entirely, including one new campaign post-update, and including LFG settings even for games that I don't plan to unveil in LFG, and including filling-in all my backup campaigns and deleted several. Still not Scribe . Anyone know?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I wonder if it counts games you've joined and are GM of? (If it does, I'm screwed... )

Edited 1430980938
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Gold said: @GenKitty , for Script Runner , have you tried making a new campaign since-the-update (possibly need to invite at least 1 player in, so it's considered an actual campaign), and put 1 script and run it? I got Script Runner from my sandbox campaign, so having other players is not required. However, it does require using an actual !command, not just getting the result of an API script. At the time of release, the only script of note already installed in my sandbox was my Exalted Successes script, and rolling some d10s (which triggers the script) did not give me the achievement. I added a simple echo script to the campaign and ran it with the !command, and I had the achievement immediately. Gold said: @The Aaron , there is probably another achievement level above "3 days" (most like 2 more levels above that, if not more, if it follows the pattern) but the Update has only been active for approximately 7 days. If the next level is 10 days (a fortnight), 12 days, 14 days, 30 days, or some other duration, then we have yet to discover it. Not necessarily. Unlike most of the achievements with a progression, there's no number in the image filename. The only achievement series that doesn't include the appropriate number in the filename is Bughunter/Exterminator. (This fact is how I know there's an achievement for running 25 games, but I don't know the name of it.)

Edited 1430986161
Gold
Forum Champion
Brian said: Gold said: @The Aaron , there is probably another achievement level above "3 days" (most like 2 more levels above that, if not more, if it follows the pattern) but the Update has only been active for approximately 7 days. If the next level is 10 days (a fortnight), 12 days, 14 days, 30 days, or some other duration, then we have yet to discover it. Not necessarily. Unlike most of the achievements with a progression, there's no number in the image filename. The only achievement series that doesn't include the appropriate number in the filename is Bughunter/Exterminator. (This fact is how I know there's an achievement for running 25 games, but I don't know the name of it.) We will just have to play Roll20 everyday for consecutive days until infinity, to be sure. (good research though, thanks for sharing your findings)
How often do achievements update and is there any way of checking your status on certain ones (such as the number of rolls)?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Immediately when you qualify, so far as I can tell. There isn't a way to check your status against them.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Huh. Something about installing the Bloodied & Dead auto-marker and testing it out caused me to get the Script Runner badge. I guess 'yay' for not having to jump through hoops.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
You also got the 10 consecutive days badge "One of Us"!!
Gold
Forum Champion
What is the handshake achievement icon? It is pictured on Twitter @Roll20app <a href="https://twitter.com/roll20app/status/6011570380104" rel="nofollow">https://twitter.com/roll20app/status/6011570380104</a>... Anyone got a handshake icon on your profile yet?
Gold said: @The Aaron , there is probably another achievement level above "3 days" (most like 2 more levels above that, if not more, if it follows the pattern) but the Update has only been active for approximately 7 days. If the next level is 10 days (a fortnight), 12 days, 14 days, 30 days, or some other duration, then we have yet to discover it. There is. I have the 10 day one. It is called "One of Us".

Edited 1432227067
Is there an achievement for spelling Recently ? Spelling and Grammar mistakes jump out of pages when I see them, this is tough, as I work for a famous alphabetically nicknamed company and they rarely post anything without spelling and grammar errors on them. I have decided that they have Spelczech on their computers rather than Spell Check.
Gabriel P.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I hope there isn't a badge for spelling, or my chances of collecting them all will have dropped to nearly zero in one fell swoop.
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Gold said: What is the handshake achievement icon? It is pictured on Twitter @Roll20app <a href="https://twitter.com/roll20app/status/6011570380104" rel="nofollow">https://twitter.com/roll20app/status/6011570380104</a>... Anyone got a handshake icon on your profile yet? What is the handshake one? I have a lot, but do not have that one.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I thought it might be to do with co-GM'ing but only because i can't think of anything else it could signify?!
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
It isn't co-GMing, otherwise The Aaron would have it and he doesn't.
Gold
Forum Champion
The actual context of the tweet mentioned "Be a Bughunter, a Scriptrunner, & a Bureaucrat!" so I wondered if that was a hint or not. But we already know the symbol for those 3. The symbol for Bureaucrat (Played with 50 different people) is not the handshake.
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I only know of one I am missing... plus whatever the handshake is. I actually consider achievements when LFPs.
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
Handshake badge: "Did a Deal" Exchange your soul for 3-5 years of mentor status, depending on the purity of your soul.
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Alan H. said: Handshake badge: "Did a Deal" Exchange your soul for 3-5 years of mentor status, depending on the purity of your soul. Ok. I am in. Need that badge. Who do I contact? Where do I sign? This is so frustrating.