Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Environmental Effects. Show your weather.

Edited 1430521581
PrincessFairy
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Environmental Effects : Several different concepts, you can add weather to your maps, any map just click and drag, expand to the right size and you have your rain, snow, hail, acid rain, fire rain, fog. Its has 3 different levels of thickness so you can choose your obscurity setting. With the use of Environmental Effects you can even use them for spells with the circle effect for each Environmental Effect . Whether it is rain or Radiation. You can have a spot on the map that has some barrels that are leaking radiation, and drop in a circle radiation effect around your barrels to simulate the effect. Description Example: Your walking down the road in a dark night, the rain is pouring down nearly flooding the ground before you. Up a head you can see a fog is starting to roll in through the rain, inside the rain and fog appears to be some spirits haunting the mist. Prepare for battle as you realize that the creatures are charging you as the fog advances. (The scene changes and the group is on the field showing the rain, and the fog, of course with your monsters mixed in it.) Additional Information on Environmental Effects . The effect is on the ground below the monsters on the map layer. If you have it on the players level it will interfere with your token selections. Drop and Expend 1400 by 1400 px maps Rain Effect Radiation Effect Fog Effect
This is really cool and an example of something I didn't know I needed until I saw it. Will definitely be purchasing!

Edited 1430621155
PrincessFairy
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Here is an effected added to a city scape from [Reference: " <a href="http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/104770/City-Ru" rel="nofollow">http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/104770/City-Ru</a>... ] Added are Poison cloud and a radiation cloud around the car. It also has a faint light fog over the city. Just so you can see some of the other effects. While the light fog is hard to see on this its still slightly noticeable, primarily because of the gray background.
PrincessFairy
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Another in play of the example of rain over a city map. Thought I share a active use.
Gold
Forum Champion
I like the look and concept of these, with the transparency and layering. Very smart. Have you done an oil slick / grease spell spot? This would be more "on the floor" rather than "in the air", but I think a nice grease circle with some transparency so you can still see the floor, could be useful. One of the spellcasters in my game has been casting Grease . Please link me if you have something that would work for this in the Marketplace, or consider the request for a future set.
We need a canopy layer for things like this, something player visible that exists above the tokens layer.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
There is a suggestion for precisely this: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1241955/foregrou" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1241955/foregrou</a>...
PrincessFairy
Pro
Marketplace Creator
That is a great suggestion and I would love to see roll20 implement that type of effect. It would allow this type of packet to be very effective. Although without that and using the standard 3 layer system, the items in this pack must be added to the map layer so that it doesn't affect game play.
PrincessFairy
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Gold said: I like the look and concept of these, with the transparency and layering. Very smart. Have you done an oil slick / grease spell spot? This would be more "on the floor" rather than "in the air", but I think a nice grease circle with some transparency so you can still see the floor, could be useful. One of the spellcasters in my game has been casting Grease . Please link me if you have something that would work for this in the Marketplace, or consider the request for a future set. Something that I do is to make sure that after you drop the image down is to right click and drop to the map background. I find that the hardest part of spells images is they are not shapeable. So dropping one around a door or what not makes it blend into other rooms. But I can see transparency being helpful.

Edited 1436032769
PrincessFairy
Pro
Marketplace Creator
If you haven't checked this set out you really should. It has helped many gamers show those stormy nights or foggy battlefields.
Are these animated? Or are they just transparent layers?
PrincessFairy
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Transparent layers. To my knowledge they don't have animation yet

Edited 1436089528
Oh, Ok. they look cool but I can make those very easily, I was hoping that they were like an animated gif or something. Snow, rain, clouds, fog all are so simple to make in photoshop with a cloud layer and some minor adjustments. I just make my maps with the environmental effects on them and switch them out. The benefit is that you can also adjust the tonal value of the map to match the environment. A very bright map with some snow or rain on it doesn't look right.
Sadly gifs don't work with the HTML 5 Canvas stuff. Nay have changed since the last time I looked though.
PrincessFairy
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Yeah sorry there nothing I can do about that. There is a lot of people who can't make them. If I could I would I have the capabilities to do so but site unable to load GIF. So I provided 3 thickness settings for each style to give largest simulation on map possible. Sorry if some maps don't show settings clearly, only so much I can do. I did test images on several layers and visible on 80-90% of material depending on thickness. Very light background needs thicker sets to make visible. If you have any suggestions to help I would be happy to try some additional features. Thanks for all your input.
PrincessFairy
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I wonder if an API could be used too constantly switch images between set of 3 with 1 second delay?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
This animation script by Manveti might be able to achieve that?
I bought'em and use them, adds a nice touch to the maps.
PrincessFairy
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Thanks I am excited to hear that someone who has purchased the maps are enjoying them. I am glad they are working. Looking to expand the set but not sure what additional weather effects could be included. Perhaps things like tornados or lightning bolts. Not really sure where to go with this.
The Dragon said: Looking to expand the set but not sure what additional weather effects could be included. Perhaps things like tornados or lightning bolts. Not really sure where to go with this. I have not yet purchased this set, but fully intend to. As for additional effects, Sandstorm immediately comes to mind.
One of those things you never find but is really needed.
PrincessFairy
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Ok, Sand Storm, Tornado, Storm Clouds.