Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Tips for running an odd pathfinder campaign?

So as far as the title, its an odd pathfinder campaign for me because im not sure how i'll work it here on Roll20. The basic idea of it is Im making a world were monsters are the majority and the 'goodly' races are minority. There's a single country thats pushing back for the goodly races and then theres the wild lands which contain the monsters. The idea i had for the campaign was basically have 8 players, but two groups, four in each. The campaign would be every other week for each group, meaning one week i'd run the good campaign, the next i'd run the evil. The issue im having, is that i want both parties to be in the same game, as each parties actions will effect the world of the other party, and even have the option of the two parties meeting. {Character death will not be out of place in this obviously.} And im not certain how to go about giving the players information solely for them. I want to keep recaps for each party, but if i throw it into the discussion forums, the other party will be able to see it, and im trying to think of a way to manage this. Also, if anyone had other tips on how i could make this easier on myself they would be greatly appreciated.
just make more pages. you can set it up so every second page is evil. that way you can just go 2 4 6 8 in the pages when you want to do evil and 1 3 5 7 when doing good. ect ect ect. its really not that hard...
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The only real problem is preventing the wrong players from reading a session recap. I would recommend having two meta-campaigns used for things like posting the recaps, each of which only has one of the two groups.
I would suggest that you upgrade your account to "Mentor" status, specifically to gain access to the Transmogrifier tool. With this, you could then create THREE separate campaigns: The Primary Development Campaign (for yourself only) The "Good" Team's Campaign The "Evil" Team's Campaign What you would do is, using the Primary campaign, build up the various scenarios and situations for the game. NEVER invite the players to this one; you use this only for creation and storage! For Week 1, you'd use the Transmogrifier to copy over whatever assets are needed to run your Good campaign. This tool is fast and intuitive that, even if you're not sure what assets you need, you can easily grab them during actual play quickly enough to not worry about slowing gameplay down. (Of course, you will have already transmogrified whatever you think you're going to need ahead of time.) Then you run the Good team through this game. For Week 2, you now have two sets of assets... those in the Primary campaign, and those in the Good campaign (which have been 'altered' by the Good team playing them!) Using the same techniques you used last week, you can run the Evil team through their adventure, transmogrifying whatever assets you need from either of the other two campaigns. And then, between games, if you like, you can go back and transmogrify assets back OUT of the Good/Evil campaigns, and back into your Primary campaign! If you're really clever, you can (for example) re-name each map "Good's Goblin Cavern", "Evil's Goblin Cavern", etc. to keep a sort of record of what each team has done! As assets become 'used-up', you can Archive them in the Primary Campaign, and delete them completely in the Good/Evil campaigns, freeing up space... you'd only have what you need, where you need it! The primary reason for needing the Transmogrifier here is because most campaigns running any length of time will require quite a substantial amount of prepwork: setting up maps, character sheets for NPCs, handouts and the like. If you're certain that you've got everything you need already prepared, and/or you're willing to do double the amount of work on those assets you add in the future, you can easily do this with just the two campaigns without upgrading to the Mentor-level membership (and therefore without the Transmogrifier.) -Phnord's Two (Three!) Cents' Worth of Advice
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
+1 to Phnord's idea
I like that idea Phnord. Thanks for the advice, I think i have a good idea of how i'll manage it. lol if i can manage it well im sure it'l be a fun campaign. If I cant, well it'll be a learning experiance, and can always try it in the future. lol, And thank you Brain and Lordkalem for the advice as well,