Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

What board games have you imported? (the sequel)

Thought I would resurrect this thread to see where everyone is in their import projects. Mine are as follows: Completed: A Game of Thrones the Board Game: Second Edition (includes both PoD scenarios) Descent: Journeys in the Dark: Second Edition (includes all expansion material as of 5/4/2015) In Progress: Cosmic Encounter: (including all expansions) Twilight Imperium: Third Edition (including both expansions) It would be nice if there was a way to export games as modules. It would be even better if game publishers would create official modules. I would be willing to pay 1/2 to full price of the boxed version to have many of my games in digital form on Roll20.
Follow-up question. Has anyone been contacted by a publisher regarding importing games on Roll20. I only import games for which I own a complete retail version, and I do not distribute my scanned images. But it would be interesting to hear if there have been any problems encountered.
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
There should not be issues if you are making private use of the materials you bought. Turning them into a module and selling them is obviously illegal as I'm sure you understand, unless you own the rights to the game. I am sure the folks at Roll20 would absolutely love for you to write to your favourite game publishers and suggested an offical digital module version though!

Edited 1430871764
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I started work on Betrayal at House on the Hill a while back, but the limitations on how the API is capable of interacting with card decks put that on hold for now. I would have similar problems porting the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game or Dominion, both of which are deck-building games.
Newbish question but ... When you say you imported Descent: 2nd edition - what does that mean? How playable is it in roll20? I'm currently in China for the job, away from both my games and people to play with, and my eyes lit up with interest on reading this. I'd love to run a game of Descent as a kind of 'in between other campaigns' thing over roll20. What would I need to do this?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The only board game i've made in roll20 (so far) is classic 90's HeroQuest. Since i still have the boxed version i thought it somewhat appropriate to make a version online to play with my friends and family who spent so many hours on it in the past: Somewhat of a faff getting all the cards etc in there but well worth the effort in my opinion. My next mission would have been Talisman but since there is a steam online version i might just buy that instead... although since i own ALL of the original game/add-ons I sort of object to buying it all again (but i have to reward those that took the time to port it to a digital format i suppose lol).
Niki K. said: When you say you imported Descent: 2nd edition - what does that mean? How playable is it in roll20? What would I need to do this? Descent plays very well in Roll20. You need to have all of the assets as images. I use jpgs for all of the cards to save space, and pngs for all of the tiles and tokens. Then you have to create a campaign, import it all, organize it, and create all of the decks, tokens, dice, etc. It is time consuming, but well worth it in the end.

Edited 1430966479
Si
Pro
I love roll20 for rpg's but for board games I think there are better solutions available. I won't name them as it probably goes against the terms and conditions.
I have used alternative solutions for a number of games and in many case they are the better option, not always though (something like Battlestar Galactica would be exceptionally difficult without having a non-playing arbiter of some sort). I have also run HeroQuest using Roll20 and it would better than our original alternative - it also let us incorporate house rules, new cards, etc which weren't possible using the other system. <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo-niMwnn2U" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo-niMwnn2U</a> Things like HeroQuest, Descent, Imperial Assault I see as ideal options since they have a similar set up of "GM" and Heroes - it's just a shame that everyone is always going to have to set it all up from scratch, build all the decks, etc. Alas, legalities mean it's not possible for one person to do the work and then share the module.
There are other alternatives, both browser based, and even on Steam. And those have some features that make things easier for some game types, particularly in the area of card decks. However, Roll20 is free and versatile enough to allow play of a wide variety of board games. And, as new updates are rolled out, I would not be surprised if Roll20 grows into an efficient and fun solution for all types of tabletop games. But, we may have to simply lament the pipe dream of exportable and official board game modules.
Robo Rally.