Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Help] CharUtil Script

So i've been playing with Aaron's charutil script, and I heard I could use it to export spells out of a spell book, and then import them into another characters spellbook. Does anyone have that macro handy? I've been playing around with it for a while, and I haven't gotten very far yet. Example: Character 1: Violet, has a full spell book of castable spells, II lot of time on it. I want to be able to Copy that work from the character sheet, and paste it to another NPC Wizard but everything else is so different I don't want to just copy Violet I just want the spell data. If I can do it selectable GREAT, if I must do it all, ok I can live with that as I can just mark the spells with "Mark"s shaped sheet as not prepared etc.. Thoughts?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
That's a pretty old script, even I don't remember it too well and I wrote it! Here is the original discussion: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1067109/script-c" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1067109/script-c</a>... If I recall correctly, it was designed to copy all the abilities on a given character to all the other characters provided in a list. I could likely expand the !chardup command to support only copying a specific (or several specific) abilities.
That would be nice if you could Aaron. Currently I use it to dump entire spell lists into NPCs. Would be nice to have optional selecting.
The Aaron said: That's a pretty old script, even I don't remember it too well and I wrote it! Here is the original discussion: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1067109/script-c" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1067109/script-c</a>... If I recall correctly, it was designed to copy all the abilities on a given character to all the other characters provided in a list. I could likely expand the !chardup command to support only copying a specific (or several specific) abilities. Yeah I cruised through all of those, but I guess I don't know where the character spell info is stored at, I don't think its an actual attribute right. I think copy spells might be one of the most useful pieces / parts that it could be used for, having a set of default token macros would be nice too, but when I make a new character I clone from a PC template I have setup which has all the token actions already defined etc.
Saevar L. said: That would be nice if you could Aaron. Currently I use it to dump entire spell lists into NPCs. Would be nice to have optional selecting. I would be happy to just do this for the moment, mind sharing the macro you're using?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Greg, you're talking about spells as setup in the 5E Shaped character sheet?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
It would probably be something like: !chardup --Name Of Source --Name of Dest --Name of other Dest
The Aaron said: Greg, you're talking about spells as setup in the 5E Shaped character sheet? Yes, so will that do only spells or will that that do the entire source?
Oh I see it will copy the Macros for the spells but not actually pulling them from the Spellbook and recopy them elsewhere? Perhaps I misunderstood. What i'm looking for is a script that will go into the character sheet and Grab the Data of Cantrips / 1st Level / 2nd Level / 3rd Level spells and then import them into another character sheet. Does that make sense?
Okay first Greg, let me explain that I set the data up as abilities. I have a separate spell/character sheet for each level of spell so its easier to manage the spells I have already programmed in. !chardup --Cantrip-Wizard Spell book --@{selected|token_name} !chardup --1st-Wizard Spell book --@{selected|token_name} !chardup --2nd-Wizard Spell book --@{selected|token_name} !chardup --3rd-Wizard Spell book --@{selected|token_name} !chardup --4th-Wizard Spell book --@{selected|token_name} !chardup --5th-Wizard Spell book --@{selected|token_name} !chardup --6th-Wizard Spell book --@{selected|token_name} Is what I use to just select a token and dump the levels of spells I desire into the NPC. Then I just tick them as I need them depending on what spells they have. I use abilities over the character sheets because of how much lag is created from trying to generate an entire tab of spells and just duplicating that sheet. I wouldn't mind having the ablity to dump specific spells from these sheets since then players/NPCs can just do something like !chardupspecifically --1st-Wizard Spell book --@{selected|token_name} --Magic-Missile, Shield, Burning-Hands Its not needed since you could alternatively just delete the spells you don't have/want etc. Merely a request if you ever plan to work on it again.
Greg B. said: Oh I see it will copy the Macros for the spells but not actually pulling them from the Spellbook and recopy them elsewhere? Perhaps I misunderstood. What i'm looking for is a script that will go into the character sheet and Grab the Data of Cantrips / 1st Level / 2nd Level / 3rd Level spells and then import them into another character sheet. Does that make sense? This really needs to be sticked at some point lol. The way spells are currently set up is through a repeating field-macro. These fields/macros are uniquely uncapable of being called via a macro. They can only be called via the API. In short, you cannot do what you ask because it will not pull the "rolling" button of the repeating fields. You can however recall the input for the specific fields. EG. Run your Magic missile macro. Select the chatbox Press the arrow-up key in the chatbox It will now show the previously used macro and its inputs for each field. Copy and Paste it into an ability Voila! Copy-able spells and movable spells!
Saevar L. said: Greg B. said: Oh I see it will copy the Macros for the spells but not actually pulling them from the Spellbook and recopy them elsewhere? Perhaps I misunderstood. What i'm looking for is a script that will go into the character sheet and Grab the Data of Cantrips / 1st Level / 2nd Level / 3rd Level spells and then import them into another character sheet. Does that make sense? This really needs to be sticked at some point lol. The way spells are currently set up is through a repeating field-macro. These fields/macros are uniquely uncapable of being called via a macro. They can only be called via the API. In short, you cannot do what you ask because it will not pull the "rolling" button of the repeating fields. You can however recall the input for the specific fields. EG. Run your Magic missile macro. Select the chatbox Press the arrow-up key in the chatbox It will now show the previously used macro and its inputs for each field. Copy and Paste it into an ability Voila! Copy-able spells and movable spells! That makes sense, thanks for breaking it down for me Saevar. So in short go through and click all the spells in the spellbook, change the names to {%selected| instead of the character name and then throw it out everywhere.. :) So to make sure I understand the break down point of the using the spell book option, is because it won't function from the "castable icon" so importing all the spell details isn't reachable etc.. Casting Time, Range, Duration, etc. via the API at the moment?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Saevar L. said: Merely a request if you ever plan to work on it again. It's a pretty simple thing to hack in, actually: !chardup-some --magic missile --1st-Wizard --Bob or assuming you had them all on one character named spells, this would get all of the spells with fire in the name: !chardup-some --fire --Spells --Bob GIT: <a href="https://github.com/shdwjk/Roll20API/blob/master/Ch" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/shdwjk/Roll20API/blob/master/Ch</a>...
The Aaron said: Saevar L. said: Merely a request if you ever plan to work on it again. It's a pretty simple thing to hack in, actually: !chardup-some --magic missile --1st-Wizard --Bob or assuming you had them all on one character named spells, this would get all of the spells with fire in the name: !chardup-some --fire --Spells --Bob GIT: <a href="https://github.com/shdwjk/Roll20API/blob/master/Ch" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/shdwjk/Roll20API/blob/master/Ch</a>... Nice. Thanks Aaron. So remember Stephens Spell importer for the 5e free spells? That had the ability to write to the character sheet to put the spell info in the appropriate boxes. I'm wondering if a quick reverse engineering is possible to be able to pull that data out and make it manageable? Even if it is just going to a json file. Since its just data manipulation, and it seems like that's Aaron's specialty I wouldn't think that would be to hard to write.. thoughts?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
The repeating group attributes are accessible to the API, so what you're after could be written. Can't commit to it at the moment, but maybe in the future.. =D
Damn Aaron. Thanks. That is amaz-balls :O +5 XP. You should of leveled up by now jeez.
The Aaron said: The repeating group attributes are accessible to the API, so what you're after could be written. Can't commit to it at the moment, but maybe in the future.. =D Well i had to try. :) I wouldn't, if I thought it was a LOT of work.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I think I have wait for the Arch-Scriptomancer to die before I can take the mantel of the next position... =D
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Greg B. said: Well i had to try. :) I wouldn't, if I thought it was a LOT of work. Well, most people are terrible at estimating software.. me included. =D

Edited 1431632211
The Aaron said: Greg B. said: Well i had to try. :) I wouldn't, if I thought it was a LOT of work. Well, most people are terrible at estimating software.. me included. =D LOL, well I feel like the fundamental work Stephen already did, its just a matter of flipping the direction. I could be wrong, my wife tells me I am a lot of the time, but I think its her thats wrong about me being wrong.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
*big blue eyes* Would this be part of your 'export/import Characters via GM notes' script, or something else entirely?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Right.. need to look at that... [Teaser] I've actually got the first version of CharMod written, which I'm going through and revising.. =D [/Teaser]
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
*BIG blue eyes and alert ears*
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
=D
The Aaron said: I think I have wait for the Arch-Scriptomancer to die before I can take the mantel of the next position... =D He's the Arch-Scriptomancer Roll20 deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll grant him XP till then. Because he can write amazing scripts. Because he's not our Arch-Scriptomancer yet. He's the silent guardian, a watchful scripter. The ScriptoKnight.."
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
BWHAHHAHAHAHAHAAH
Saevar L. said: The Aaron said: I think I have wait for the Arch-Scriptomancer to die before I can take the mantel of the next position... =D He's the Arch-Scriptomancer Roll20 deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll grant him XP till then. Because he can write amazing scripts. Because he's not our Arch-Scriptomancer yet. He's the silent guardian, a watchful scripter. The ScriptoKnight.." LOL I Love it!
The Aaron said: Right.. need to look at that... [Teaser] I've actually got the first version of CharMod written, which I'm going through and revising.. =D [/Teaser] So what wonderful things is CharMod going to do for us? :)
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Y'know all the stuff we can do to tokens via TokenMod? Now imagine that power, macros at your fingertips to edit character attributes :&gt;
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
What she said. =D Actually, I think it will be a little better than TokenMod in some regards, and I'll probably back-port some new systems I add for it to TokenMod. Fun Fun! I should probably start a separate thread asking for what people want to be able to do with it.... hmm..
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Made the thread: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1954406/feedback" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1954406/feedback</a>...
Me again :) So aaron if I was to use the !chardup-some --magic missile --1st-Wizard --Bob and Bob already had an ability called magic missile would it over-right it, create another one or? Or maybe have a replace option? As I would like to keep the location of the ability just want to replace the macro inside of it.. EDIT: Well it looks like it does both.. It updates the Macro Txt but also adds an ability at the end with the same txt. So how feasible would a !replaceup-some --magic missle --1st-Wizard --Bob And thinking along the same lines, remember that !clean-abilities script you hooked me up with? what about a update to that does something similar? !clean-abilities-some --attack --Bob or !clean-abilities-some --[c] --Bob (I use the [c] to signify macros for cantrips.. I also use [1]- [2]-, well you get the idea. :)
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
All possible. I'll see what I can do over the weekend. PM me a reminder so I'll see it. =D
The Aaron said: All possible. I'll see what I can do over the weekend. PM me a reminder so I'll see it. =D So i heard the weekend was a couple days ago.. :)
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Bah.. I'm a busy man! =D I'll get to it...
The Aaron said: Bah.. I'm a busy man! =D I'll get to it... Pft, how long does it take to recode the universe.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
And how would you even measure it? =D
The Aaron said: And how would you even measure it? =D Why an iPhone App of course, the ruler thing is pretty cool.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
HAHAHAHAHA
The Aaron said: All possible. I'll see what I can do over the weekend. PM me a reminder so I'll see it. =D Just humming along, how's it going Aaron? Get some Memorial Day BBQ going?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
In fact, I just burned the crap out of my hand on the BBQ grill. =D (Well, more like singed..)
Medium Rare, or Medium? :) This won't have any impact on a decent deliverable date for my requested alterations would it? :)
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Shouldn't change the schedule. =D
The Aaron said: Shouldn't change the schedule. =D LOL, do we have a new schedule? Cuz I heard it was going to be last weekend. :)
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I need to be more careful about my wording... I'll get to it soonish. =D
The Aaron said: I need to be more careful about my wording... I'll get to it soonish. =D Lol, thanks Aaron, have a great holiday; shame it's almost over.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Indeed