Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

BECMI D&D sheet in progress

Allen
Sheet Author
I am using the 5e css to create a Rules Cyclopaedia compatible sheet, I have not merged it yet (I still have a few things to finish before it is complete for the PCs). You can take a look at it here <a href="https://app.roll20dev.net/join/35785/vwf07A" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20dev.net/join/35785/vwf07A</a> and feedback is most welcome. I will put up a few empty sheets to play with. Or the source on my fork here <a href="https://github.com/allenmaher/roll20-character-she" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/allenmaher/roll20-character-she</a>... Right now most of the PC fields are working including options like general skills, weapon mastery support and so on. I am planning a big inventory overhaul from the 5e sheet so that will take a few days/weeks. It supports the 5e style spell book (reversioned for BECM of course) and 5e style roll templates. In progress right now are the DM only rolls (turning, thief abilities, elf, halfling and dwarf abilities) which will probably just whisper to the DM a request to roll with the appropriate score (otherwise the player sees the roll). Two distant features I need feedback on are what should the NPC sheet look like (what do you want the most in it) and whether or not you want a tipple toggle from player sheet to npc sheet to force sheet for mass combat. What won't ever make it into the sheet by my hands (open licence so code if you want to) is domminions, and strongholds. Frankly the handouts work well enough for those.
Allen
Sheet Author
Starting to come together and initial git code is pending approval... still more work to be done. I spent hours last night finding one unclosed tag in a few thousand lines of code before shuffling the whole project into a decent IDE.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
What IDE are you using?
Allen
Sheet Author
Geany at the moment, with the right set of plugins it seems to do a good editing job. I have to copy across to a dummy campaign on roll 20 for testing because not all of the roll20isms can be taken into account locally.
Allen
Sheet Author
Inventory is live and will auto add any values placed in the location tracker. Locations are split by default into worn/carried/backpack/beltpouch/sac/other but can be customized to whatever you like them to be. As it totals up your encumbrance, it adjusts your movement rate accordingly. I still have to add the suit armour calc to the movement rate calc but will do that with the AC and piecemeal armour (GAZ10) update. The locations are tabs with repeating fields which means without an api call they are not auto tallied. I can pull values from the repeating fields in the static sheet but without error handling the null values returned from missing fields botch the math. No work around for that without you manually entering a number of items in the sheet which seems fraught with issues. Since a full npc sheet seems very wasteful (most of the fields will be identical) and major human NPCs will need nearly a full player sheet, I am leaning towards having hidden sections in the sheet enabled by the NPC sheet toggle. I may also put a stat block GM whisper function in since that seems easy enough. DM only rolls right now are DM and player who makes the rolls. That presents a problem for most of the remaining items on the to do list Turning/Thiefs abilities and so on. To combat this I am turning those rolls into GM whispers that send a chat request with the information but let the DM make the roll in secret. (secret DM rolls is a big part of the old school gaming tradition)
Allen
Sheet Author
Since the 3-18 ability bonuses are bell shaped in BECM I have had to fit a 3rd order polynomial with a rounding function to make them work, but it seems that now with in line rolls I can hide that, so I will try and hide that blech. If I can hide it I will probably switch to the 7th order polynomial that fits the 1-100 ability scores of the I part of BECM(I).
The Dungeon Crawl Classics character sheet has the math/output figured out. Take a look. I made a custom sheet for RC out of a modified DCC sheet/html/css, but yours is looking much sweeter! Cant wait to see the finished product so I can use it!

Edited 1431840046
Allen
Sheet Author
I already have a fitted function (R^2 of 0.98 before rounding... better afterwards) The last bit of it is hiding that awful formula so that no one ever sees it when they hover over a roll template. As of tonight ( it was game day so little progress) the to do list stands at wrestling, AC and piecmeal armour (GAZ10) (trivial, may be done by morning), hiding the polynomial formula (not sure but I think it may be simple with nested rolls) and switching on npc info for the DM only (unknown amount of work). Edit: it is incredibly simple to hide those formulas now... sweet and nice work devs. Last sheet I made that feature was not yet iplimented.
Allen
Sheet Author
Outside of bug fixes the player version of the character sheet is now finished! I still have to add a very limited amount of NPC data (treasure type, number appearing, save as, etc...) that displays when the toggle happens, the existing fields need not be duplicated for an NPC. It is extra code and complexity that any API scripts would have to deal with. A mass combat troop page on the other hand should use the whole new page and attributes feature.

Edited 1432668469
Allen
Sheet Author
The latest commit to github contains NPC data and a basic Warmachine force page. Right now the mass combat page has a basic BFR and BR calculator as well as some logistical information fields. I have an old copy of Seamachine in M1 that may latter be added, and I may add a tab or two for roster and siege equipment. I spent quite a bit of time looking through the Immortals box set and the wrath of the immortals and just don't have the heart to add the silly level of complexity that that would require at this point in time. If there is a large clamouring for it I may be persuaded at a later date. I could be persuaded to add support for the full range of ability scores from 1 to 100 in the short term. To be honest I bought the immortals set and the terrible modules that were released for it when they came out, and frankly I did not find them fun, so my bias is showing here I guess.
Natha
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Great job. Regarding "the Immortals box set and the wrath of the immortals", as anyone ever really played that far ?

Edited 1432726592
Allen
Sheet Author
I played through a few of the bad immortals modules with premade charaters, but have never done the 36 levels + immortal quest + 36 levels of immortals.
Is there a chance this Sheet be added back to Template List?
It is added. Why was it cut?
Exactly, I got whole campaign prepared for this evening, characters rolled and all things stored on the sheets... I had to call off the session, cause sheets were wiped :/ Why?
Allen
Sheet Author
I don't know, it was approved. And the current copy of the approved.yaml in the git repository has it approved, I am hoping that this is a server update thing. I have a game on the normal servers on Sunday in jeapordy. I had to copy it to the dev server in order to have a backup copy. You can contact roll 20 and request they look into it. More than one request may improve the response time.
Luckily I am have custom sheet options and had copy/pasted the html/css into one of my becmi games to try it out, so I can still use it.
You sir, are my hero. I was so excited when i first found your sheet, i told everyone who might care and a few people who definitely didn't; including OldSchoolChris! It has like 35% more things than i knew i wanted out of a character sheet. Really, really, incredible job!

Edited 1434897228
Allen
Sheet Author
Thanks. I have quite a few scripts that can be mostly converted over to work in the roll 20 api. I did a kLoGe Werks definition for Basic DnD a few years back where much of this sheet and logic come from outside of the CSS and roll templates which I lifted from the 5th ed project, to automate things further. Some of them I am not allowed to put up (the level up button which adjusts your character level, saving throws, next level xp, etc for instance). Many are related to features roll 20 does not yet have. I have combat scripts that, if the roll20 api had more map hooks, could adjust combat for range and target type (H or M) as well as positional bonuses. I may add temporary modifiers in the hopes that one day the API will include a decent effects system. The klooge version I made would check for and apply a stun or delay result for instance, I can't do that yet in the roll 20 version. The downside of all of that is that only mentors would be able to use them. Also, I forgot to put in the 1-100 version of the stat adjustments (from wrath of the immortals) that I made. So there will be another update coming (e.t.a. sometime). Any suggestions on things that are not in the sheet yet that should be there (without using the API which is still newish/young/developing)? Does anyone need a more extensive mass combat section to support the tracking of retainers/army personnel and siege equipment, is anyone in need of support for Sea Machine in addition to War Machine rules? Right now what I was considering for the next update is just the stat adjustments that I forgot to add and temp modifiers tab for spell effects and conditions like fatigue, delay, stun and what have you. There are two ways I can go with that, One is a set of fields that modify stats and other values, where you input the modifier that works for the spell/condition applied manually, and the second is a set of conditions that you can click on that would modify things automatically, but would prevent manual control. Since there is no effects system this solution might be easier, but would not be flexible. Gauntlets of ogre strength for example is difficult to do automatically since it would need a complex math algorithm to adjust from a variable strength value to a fixed strength value and only covers one one magic item. A bless is simple, stun, delay and so on is simple. I may be able to work some html/css magic to hybridize the two, but no promises yet. Edit: Inventory may get some attention as well...
I don't know about all that. I'm not too into automating things to that extent. Like, at all. The most i've done is modify the Initiative Roller/Tracker API to reroll every round. And i don't even use that too much anymore. Since they built in the feature to track rounds, it's been easier to say "roll initiative" than it is to have every sit still for a minute, select everything, and use it in the first place. So what i would say is that anything which still allows manual adjustments would be appreciated. I'd rather double check that a player has adjusted their strength after getting the ogre-gloves, than have something go wrong that can't even be approached because the math is entirely behind the scenes, you know?