Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New DM 5E One-Shots G2

I'd like to pick up DMing in my off time when I don't have a game or a session is canceled. My style would be about 60/40 combat/rp and a homebrewed "hardcore sandbox" world. A couple of the things I would like to do; - Everything exists to kill you.. I will personally make, up/down scale monsters to equal or beat your current level - Things like whetstones, mending spells, soap and blacksmiths exist for a reason. You've gone 3 days of nonstop fighting cutting at plate armor with your shortsword, it's going to dull, chip and warp. Slashing will damage leather and cloth, bludgeoning will damage metal armor. Piercing and slashing damage will cause bleeding, you take 5 hits and are covered in blood, you walk into town... - "Sandbox" I find it difficult to imagine a 100% sandbox world that gets anything done. There will be quests and adventures that I will push unto you, but you aren't the only things that exist in the world. There are other adventurers, rumors spread, negative/positive actions may or may not have consequences. - Boatload of homebrew rules, such as shield variants, brutal/fumble charts That being said it's quite a heavy load for a new DM, so I will be running a one-shot of my personal design in order to gain experience. Anybody is free to join from the min-max vet trying to break the game, new players who just want to learn, and RPers. This is my second time running this game, I've tweaked everything to a level that I believe to be difficult but not impossible... Looking to run 4 people only at the moment, basically first come first serve. Requirements; - Microphone - Respect - This is a one-shot I've personally put over 20 hours into to learn the roll20 engine, make maps, characters, story, not your weekly sandbox game with friends where you're killing NPCs for the LOLs. If you can't respect that or the other players who just want to have fun, don't apply. Some mature content. - Patience, there will be newer players, there will be questions. This game will probably run 2-4 hours depending on the group. - More than likely your character will die Characters - Everything is available from the PHB and only the PHB Try to discuss with the group a balanced party, you won't finish with 4 rogues. Roll [[4d6d1]][[4d6d1]][[4d6d1]][[4d6d1]][[4d6d1]][[4d6d1]] twice take whichever one you want or Standard array or 27 point buy You will be 6th level take average+1 HP after level 1 or roll You get 1 magic item between; - A +1 to hit and damage Weapon ( You want a dagger that's all you're getting ) - A +1 AC Armor/Shield ( Anything but half-plate/plate ) - A +1 Ability mod ring ( +1 Wisdom/Charisma/Int modifier only for the sake of spell to hits, damage, and DC ) This is a one-shot... I don't care about; - A fully fleshed background/backstory ( Not saying you can't RP your character or with the group ) - Inventory/gold/encumbrance ( Bare minimum take a few weapons, shield and/or armor 1 health potion and misc things you think you will need rope, mirrors, health kits, thieves tools etc.) - Spell infoboxes... Casting cure wounds? Click the heal box type in 1d8+mod and done ( I do however care about marking concentration spells ) I do need; - Character portrait - Languages Starting as soon as we get 4 people I think that's everything....
I got myself (Rogue) and two buddies (Likely Ranger and Barbarian) that might like something like this. Our only issue is that Saturday Night (including tonight) and Friday Night around 8pm Pacific is what works for us. I know that's lame but I live on the east coast so starting at 11pm on a work night is problematic (also kids etc). We're old buddies from teen years now in our mid 30's trying to get back into gaming via roll 20. We will have to get used to using roll 20 but from a computer stand point we should be set. We're really good laid back people if you think something could work. For Background, since we haven't changed much you have Sean the Barbarian or Fighter who is a little chaotic and gets into trouble. Paul the ranger who is more neutral but always gets dragged in to whatever Sean is doing and me, Zack, I really don't even know if I could play anything other than a Neutral Good Rogue, I love it too much. I'm always trying to create balance and fight or kill for the small guy and I somehow get dragged into whatever the other two are doing. Been that way since high school. Let us know. Since we are trying to get back into gaming and you are looking to do a oneshot hopefully we can benefit each other. Let me know.

Edited 1432404294
Hiya, I have a level 5 bard from a campaign that fizzled out. I'd love to mod him up for your setting and join you for a one-shot. I frequently DM myself, but I love to get a chance to play where I can. I respect the ambition of going for a grittier setting in D&D. It's not easy, but really awesome when done well. If you decide to take it past a one shot, I'd probably be interested there as well... but I'm excited to see what you put together either way. The only thing that might be an issue is I'm running a game tonight, but I'm open tomorrow night after 8:30 EDT. Feel free to PM me if you're interested. Thanks!
bump
hey count me in
David what time were u thinking my buddies and I can go at 8pst tonight! And my barbarian buddy and u sound alike. Hehe
I wouldn't have minded starting now if need be... The other time I've ran this it took 4 hours on the dot, if you can only make it 8pst and if you want I'll repost another one then.
Ohhhhh i get it.... Your doing out multiple times. We would try to work with you timewise. Well be around with characters ready at 8pm tonight if u want just let me know. Hopefully the stars align. Thanks for posting your campaign. I've been working two days trying to get us back into the fray.
bump

Edited 1432423897
3 players classes yet to be determined
Druid, Barbarian, and Socreress
If you still are looking for one more, I'll play anything that will fit the group, just want to get a game in
full