Movement restriction, without vision restriction.

Score + 68
I'm sorry if something like this has be suggested as an expansion to the existing restrict movement option for dynamic lighting, or this is currently possible. I haven't' seen any way to restrict movement, without blocking vision too. IE a window that players can see through, but not move through, while preserving the normal vision restrictions of the dynamic lighting layer. Other places this would be helpful are impassible obstacles, like chasms, non enterable buildings, so players can see the tops, but not traverse them, and other such things. I suggest it be done by defining a specific colour as transparent on the dynamic lighting layer, or perhapse via the GM layer if that isn't feasible.
Lucian
Pro
API Scripter
+1 - great idea
Jefe
Pro
Compendium Curator
I had made a similar suggestion  here . I'll vote for this thread as well. I want to be able to mark objects and paths as either restricting movement, blocking sight, or both. This could likely be done on the dynamic lighting layer using configurable colors as you say, by adding options to objects on the layer, or maybe creating a new layer for movement restriction only that can optionally inherit from the dynamic layer. To add to your examples: Blocks movement but not sight - windows, low fences, ledges, a trap, magical barriers Blocks sight but not movement - wall of fog, illusions, curtain, magical darkness
+1
+1
+1
Ulti
Pro
API Scripter
Would be great.
Brian
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Note: for Pro subscribers, there is the  Collision Detection script which can accomplish this. It was written to provide movement restriction before it was a feature of Roll20. Importantly, you can set it up to handle collisions with paths on the GM layer, Objects layer, or Map layer, which won't then also block vision.
Brian said: Note: for Pro subscribers, there is the  Collision Detection script which can accomplish this. It was written to provide movement restriction before it was a feature of Roll20. Importantly, you can set it up to handle collisions with paths on the GM layer, Objects layer, or Map layer, which won't then also block vision. That's nice for the pro subs who are good with scripting, but not so much other people.
Ulti
Pro
API Scripter
Brian said: Note: for Pro subscribers, there is the  Collision Detection script which can accomplish this. It was written to provide movement restriction before it was a feature of Roll20. Importantly, you can set it up to handle collisions with paths on the GM layer, Objects layer, or Map layer, which won't then also block vision. That's a nice solution, thanks! Is there a configuration setting so that tokens don't collide with tokens?
Brian
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ulti said: Brian said: Note: for Pro subscribers, there is the  Collision Detection script which can accomplish this. It was written to provide movement restriction before it was a feature of Roll20. Importantly, you can set it up to handle collisions with paths on the GM layer, Objects layer, or Map layer, which won't then also block vision. That's a nice solution, thanks! Is there a configuration setting so that tokens don't collide with tokens? Collision is only between tokens* and paths** which are both on the configured layer (one of the options for layer is "all", though) and which are the configured color. So, if you have it set to gmlayer and #ff00ff, tokens will only collide with fuchsia paths on the gm layer. Other paths will be ignored. Tokens don't collide with tokens. * Tokens will not collide if they don't have a controller set and they aren't representing a character which has a controller set. In other words, tokens which can only possibly be controlled by the GM won't collide with anything. (Note: if the GM is specifically set as the token's controller, the token will collide just the same as if it were controlled by a player.) ** Only polylines and polygons (including rectangles/squares) are handled. Ovals/circles and freehand paths will be ignored.
Thanks for the tread hijack...
Bryce
Plus
I would really like this feature, currently have a map with several windows iron bars and fences, and would like to be able to restrict movement.  I think the best way to do this is to be able to right-click on a line and select an "is transparent" option. 
bhr
Pro
+1
Just in an academic sense, I'm a little curious why movement restriction would be difficult to implement by just (or "just") adding another layer for GMs to edit that has some, but not all, of the features of the current Dynamic Lighting layer. Is it a real delay-drag during play for many users, or difficult in development, to add a single new layer to the interface when everything you'd need it to do has already been implemented as an option for an existing layer? I honestly wouldn't know...
+1
+1
+1 would also like
yes please