Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Roll Templates - Uses?

Michael B.
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm curious about roll templates... I've done a bit of reading, so I think I understand them. I'm curious if there is a use for these outside of formatting the output of dice rolls. I am not trying to diminish the value of having the dice output formatted in a certain fashion, but I am curious if there are other users for Roll Templates? Curious to hear other people's ideas. Cheers.

Edited 1432586270
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
While roll templates are geared to manipulate(logic and roll helpers) and format dice rolls, they are also very useful for formatting text as well. You can use roll template logic to show/hide attribute output while utilizing html/css to format that output to your desire. Similar to HB's super successful Powercards script, which sadly doesn't have the external css access. Player's are somewhat limited to editing their ability macros using the roll templates that are included for a particular sheet or the default template if that's how you roll. GM's with a Mentor level subscription can majorily tweak their custom sheets with roll templates. I think we're only seeing the beginnings of how roll templates are used. I would like to see a GM option that allows player's to use their own roll templates... ala player's using their own Powercards. Cheers
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
Roll templates format chat, not just rolls. They make an easy player-useable /emas ie &{template:default} {{name=@{selected|token_name} }} {{?{Does what?|does something.} }} or &{template:default} {{name=?{Name|@{selected|token_name}} }} {{?{Does what?|does something.} }} or even &{template:default} {{?{Name?|@{selected|token_name}} ?{Does what?|does something.} }} Could look nicer with custom templates but the functionality exists. :)
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
You could potentially add Roll Templates for the GM to use that provide multiple versions of some information based on a number, classic example being how much you know about a monster. Could show nothing more than the appearance, the some information about the habits, then some hint at the weakness, etc based on something. Could have a roll template that is a standard menu of effects (particularly great for API scripts).
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm happily using the default roll template for the monsters in my 13th Age campaign. It's tidied up the macros I used dramatically.
I made a post because I felt really stoked about what Rolltemplates let me do. Additionally to what I said there With one macro called "def" the character can show all her defensive stats in a few lines worth, nice and orderly. "Does that hit?" and "Does the poison/trap/spell/etc work?" can be answered with the same button without needing multiple macros. If you have a lot of circumstantial bonuses or penalties I recommend putting those as whispers into the macro. That way you don't clogg the chat for everyone, but still "remember" all the bonuses and penalties and can apply them appropriately. Things like -2 to AC versus improvised weapons and -2 CMD vs dirty trick (drawback "naive") - comes up so rarely it's easy to forget. -- Of course I could do all this before with inline rolls but it wasn't quite as clean.
What I have done is on the D&D 3.5 sheet is on the attributes and abilities tab, inserted my animal companions hit points, ability scores, base saves, and armor class mods. I then created a roll template that calculated and posted its stats in the following block format so that I had quick access to its main stats, The last line are hyperlinks to each of its special abilities. I am also using the roll templates to make similar stat blocks for summoned creatures.