Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Off Topic?

I noticed that the Off Topic section was archived. Where do you post anything off topic? Also, which (or all) or these are off topic? 1-Types of role playing systems (GURPS, Fate, D&D etc) 2-Advice for general role playing 3-Non tabletop role playing (from LARPing to video games) 4-Advice for a specific role playing system 5-Campaign ideas, adventure seeds, random encounters, roleplaying advice (universal, not specific to a system) Thanks for the help! :)

Edited 1432646432
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
As per the code of conduct , specifically the section on intended use: Intended Use The Roll20 Forums exist to discuss topics directly related to the use of the Roll20 program. Anything that more fittingly could be discussed on another website SHOULD be discussed there. All of the subjects you listed are technically off-topic. It is also because of the intended use that the off-topic is closed to new posts and is essentially a place to move off-topic threads to when they get closed. For all non-Roll20 specific questions you should use forums more suited to their discussion. Reddit for example, has a wide range of forums that are perfect for discussing all things RPG etc. However, if your question relates to how a system's mechanics can be represented in Roll20 or the best approach to doing x, y or z using Roll20 then you won't get a better, or quicker, or even friendlier response anywhere else on the internet :)
Join the GM Academy, they allow topic drift on their forum, Except for #3, LARPing would be off topic even for them.
B Simon Smith
Marketplace Creator
Roll20 doesn't allow for "Off Topic" posts, and directs you to seek out alternative websites where such posts would be "On Topic", such as Reddit, RPGNet, etc.
al e. said: Join the GM Academy, they allow topic drift on their forum, Except for #3, LARPing would be off topic even for them. How do I join? Ziechael said: As per the code of conduct , specifically the section on intended use: Intended Use The Roll20 Forums exist to discuss topics directly related to the use of the Roll20 program. Anything that more fittingly could be discussed on another website SHOULD be discussed there. All of the subjects you listed are technically off-topic. It is also because of the intended use that the off-topic is closed to new posts and is essentially a place to move off-topic threads to when they get closed. For all non-Roll20 specific questions you should use forums more suited to their discussion. Reddit for example, has a wide range of forums that are perfect for discussing all things RPG etc. However, if your question relates to how a system's mechanics can be represented in Roll20 or the best approach to doing x, y or z using Roll20 then you won't get a better, or quicker, or even friendlier response anywhere else on the internet :) Ah, that's a shame. The problem I've found is that some of the specific RPG related forums are, well, dead. I do not like D&D, and so I'm not apart of that community. To be honest, I'm seriously and genuinely surprised that #2 and #5 are off topic, since that is the basis of which this program exists (without any ideas for even a card game, none would exist). But that's why I asked. Thanks for the answers, cheers.

Edited 1432676136
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
2 and 5 caused small flame wars and other problems on the forums. Those flame wars were one of the reasons that the CoC was created and the off topic forum got closed and converted to archives.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Captain N. said: To be honest, I'm seriously and genuinely surprised that #2 and #5 are off topic, since that is the basis of which this program exists (without any ideas for even a card game, none would exist). But that's why I asked. Thanks for the answers, cheers. It can be a fine line. Talking about how a system works is off topic, talking about how to make a system work in Roll20 is on-topic.
Brian said: Captain N. said: To be honest, I'm seriously and genuinely surprised that #2 and #5 are off topic, since that is the basis of which this program exists (without any ideas for even a card game, none would exist). But that's why I asked. Thanks for the answers, cheers. It can be a fine line. Talking about how a system works is off topic, talking about how to make a system work in Roll20 is on-topic. I disagree, really. Without any type of board game, card game, roleplaying etc, there would be no Roll20 website or program :P Just seems odd that the website 'punishes' (assuming mods tell people they are getting off topic) people for exploring new ideas for their campaigns. Thanks for the replies, though. The last time I used the website the Roll20 team were commenting on the off-topic forum section, so that's a part of why it's surprising.
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
I don't see being redirected to a place designed for people to discuss the topics you wish to discuss as punishment... However it is your right to disagree, and I hope you find productive discussion on whatever forum you find suits your needs best. You could always start a campaign here and use the campaign forums to discuss your preferred systems?

Edited 1432752085
Nolan T. J.
Roll20 Team
Essentially we choose to use our resources on specifically helping people directly utilize Roll20. When it comes to helping people play specific systems, find the playstyle that's right for them, and so on, we generally think it's best for folks to head to places dedicated to those ideas. And with that... I think that's enough talk on things we don't talk about here! :)