Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Settings across all sheets

Edited 1432657583
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I have several settings on my 5e shaped sheet and am looking to add more. The problem is I, and other DMs, have to change the settings tab for every monster. I've previously handled this by changing it on import, but I'd love to have some kind of global settings repository. Any ideas? Maybe a "Settings" journal that can be accessed somehow? Or even one for monsters and one for PCs? EDIT: I can confirm a "Settings" journal does work. Though it still requires GMs to create the journal and update all exiting and future token's settings pages to pull from the settings journal. EDIT2: I could default the settings to be based on a different journal, but if that journal name doesn't exist then it will show an error "No character was found for 'output_option' ". I would have to somehow make it incredibly clear that people should make that journal... ugggh. Not a great option.

Edited 1432678768
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
What I'd really like to do is have an input (select in this case) be equal to another sheet's select if that other sheet exists. It can do that now, but is delayed and shows an error message. I'm hoping by typing this out I'll get inspired or someone else will come along with a solution.. I really wish we had if statements.
Set up a character/journal the way you want it, hit the edit button in the upper right, and then 'duplicate'. I am thinking a button or series of buttons to affect all, some, or a few characters across a campaign is asking a bit much. A buddy runs a game with 200+ journals/character sheets. That's a lot to apply blanket changes to.

Edited 1432730465
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I don't want duplicates. As the sheet author I want settings that can apply to every sheet. These settings are things like "Whisper rolls to GM", "use initiative tie breaker", etc. These aren't items that you want to set on individual sheets - you'd want them on all sheets. And some settings you want to apply to PCs and some you want to apply to NPCs - in which case you can easily have the defaults set on that sheet. It all works. I can put it into the sheet and it'd all work. I'd like to make it the default option to pull from another sheet. That will work, but it will still show an error for those who don't have the PC/NPC settings sheet setup. So that leaves the only option to set it to optional and have all GMs who want it have to set all the settings on each sheet. I'd love to see a different option. If I can't find a way to make it default I'll try to find a way to make it easier/quicker to set - either via 1 field that pulls a collection of fields or via API.
I re-read my comment and decided it wasn't at all helpful, and a little on the irate side. I apologize; I don't like wasting other people's time and I think I wasted yours. For possible idea (pretty sure you tried this already): options like 'selected', checked="true", and value="(whatever)" can be set in the code. I take this doesn't suit your needs?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Coal Powered Puppet said: For possible idea (pretty sure you tried this already): options like 'selected', checked="true", and value="(whatever)" can be set in the code. I take this doesn't suit your needs? It surely would set a default. The problem is the default would expect the other sheet to exist and show an error message if it doesn't. Likely there is no way to check if the sheet exists. I'll have to keep the default and add another option in the select that says "inherit from PC settings" and create a PC settings sheet. Hopefully I can change an attribute on all journals at once via API.