Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[AW] Issues with Apocalypse World character sheets

Hello peoples of Roll20 I have been having a bit off issue with the built in character sheets for Apocalypse World. The sheets aren't saving things that are checked off correctly, no showing the right improvement options, not updating for things like harm being checked off just general weirdness. I was wondering if someone has run into this problem and has a possible fix or if there is no fixing it what might be a good alternate method I could use that other people have used. Help would be much appreciated thanks you.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
(Moved to Character Sheets)
I have the same issue: the harm and the experience don't save on the character sheet, and same goes for the debilities. The rest of the sheet works fine I think.
Hi, same for me.
Same here, the 'lock class' doesn't restrict the upgrade options, experience isn't saved. Haven't tried harm and debilities yet. My players are running Chrome, does that go for the rest of you as well?
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Looked at the code for Experience Points, and it looks like the name of those fields is incorrect: <label class="sheet-improvement">Experience:</label> <input type="checkbox" name="sheet-improvement-1" value="0" /> <input type="checkbox" name="sheet-improvement-2" value="0" /> <input type="checkbox" name="sheet-improvement-3" value="0" /> <input type="checkbox" name="sheet-improvement-4" value="0" /> <input type="checkbox" name="sheet-improvement-5" value="0" /> Looking at the code it looks like Experience, Improvements, the checkbox for showing/hiding the Improvements, would all have the same issue. I'll drop the Authors of the sheet a PM and see if one of them can fix it. If not, I'll see what I can do. I don't play AW, so can't really support the sheet well, but this type of change should be fairly minor.
can i have a link to sheet?
Well thank you GV for trying to help
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Heard from Steve. I'll try to get it fixed tomorrow...
Excellent thanks!
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Ok, I have a few questions... Can a character change classes or have multiple classes? There's a section for Moves and Other Moves is there a difference? Or rather, is there a need for both of them? 'lock class' doesn't restrict the upgrade options, what does that mean?
1. Yes 2. Not sure 3. The upgrade options are class specific. However the full list of all options is shown. My expectation was that, upon locking the class, the non applicable options would be hidden. Does that clarify?
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Mostly...one more question: Can a character have multiple classes (I'm assuming the Yes was for they can change classes, just wanted to clarify the multiple question).
They can have one class and then switch to another. Not multiple at the same time.

Edited 1437225865
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Ok, great. Couple of last questions: I'm assuming Debilities are the things like Shattered, Crippled, etc. Is that correct? I saw why those weren't working properly and believe I've fixed that issue. How does Harm work? Any concerns if I change the Classes from being radio buttons to a dropdown? The weird thing with the radio buttons is that they wrap oddly, so a class may be one line and the radio button to select it may be on a different line. How does Experience work? There are 5 checkboxes for each checkbox has a value of 0 for some reason. Is that used for anything or just a visual indicator of some sort? I believe that's all I have, anyway. I do reserve the right to ask more questions later, though. ;)
1. Correct and they are just tick boxes that need to be remembered. 2. As you take harm you cross off more boxes. All that needs to work is for their ticked status to be remembered. 3. I have no opinion on that 4. Every time you gather experience you tick a box. When all boxes are yicked you can select an upgrade and clear the experience boxes. Also here the sheet just needs to remember status. All else is player action. Once again thanks!
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Cool. Just so you know, the sheet had it set up so the debilities were automatically part of the dice rolls, but the value was always zero. I've fixed that, so if you were manually subtracting the debilities from the appropriate stat roll (i.e. if you manually subtracted 1 from cool rolls when the character was shattered), you won't have to do that now. And last question: If a character was class=Chopper and then changed class to Skinner, and then back to Chopper, would he lose any of the Chopper Improvements from before, or does it just pick up where it left off?
Uh... Technically I think he'd pick up from where he left off, but I think it's a very hypothetical case.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Cool. Thanks.

Edited 1437240208
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Ok, I think I got everything. Here's a link to the my Test AW campaign. I'd appreciate it if someone got in a messed around with the characters to make sure I haven't missed anything. The URL for the game is: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/join/932065/B9ALqQ" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/join/932065/B9ALqQ</a> In that link, I have three characters that are visible and editable by all players. Let me know what I've missed. Once I get the thumbs up, I'll release I'll so a pull request to get this merged with the PROD servers.
(1) Class selection and locking seems to work well. Great! (2) Improvements and experience now work, excellent! (3) One of the options when improving is to get a new move from your class. I just noticed that that was somewhat broken as it states "get a new @{class} move". This could be easily fixed by changing to "get a new move from your class" or more complex by referring to the currently active class. (4) health works fine, great stuff (5) disabilities work fine, great stuff - and get included in the correct attribute So a whole bunch of thumbs up for the fix! I am however somewhat surprised by the layout changes? The layout switched from 3 to 2 columns. I personally preferred the three column layout. Was the switch to two column necessary to fix the issues? That said, I can't say I feel very strongly about it. Thanks muchly!
Derk G. said: I am however somewhat surprised by the layout changes? The layout switched from 3 to 2 columns. I personally preferred the three column layout. Was the switch to two column necessary to fix the issues? That said, I can't say I feel very strongly about it. Sometimes things don't line up right on three columns, but are good on two. Sometimes its the other way. And Then there are those times where nothing ever lines right, regardless of the presence or lack there of of any columns. Personally, I think its a damn sexy sheet. Good job to the original author and GV!
Overall I'm extremely happy to now have a fully working sheet :) The point on 3 or 2 columns to me is a very minor one so please don't get any other impression.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Derk G. said: (3) One of the options when improving is to get a new move from your class. I just noticed that that was somewhat broken as it states "get a new @{class} move". This could be easily fixed by changing to "get a new move from your class" or more complex by referring to the currently active class. I am however somewhat surprised by the layout changes? The layout switched from 3 to 2 columns. I personally preferred the three column layout. Was the switch to two column necessary to fix the issues? That said, I can't say I feel very strongly about it. Thanks muchly! Yeah, I think that was the intent of the original sheet author, but @{class} type stuff only works in a form field, not inside a label. I made the suggested change. Regarding the layout, the three column layout really messes with things in the Improvement. One benefit of it, though was the easy visibility to the Harm and Other fields. I made a tweak to put the top part back into a 3-column layout with Harm and Other in the top part and then the Improvements (Experience, etc) in a new "row". Take a look at the layout and see if this works better for you. If you want the Improvements in the 3rd column I can move them, it was mostly my OCD that made me change the layout, anyway. :)
I like the way you've done it now. However one suggestion, is it possible to put the improvements in the first column then? (as opposed to below where the longest column ends). when selecting a class with vehicles/holdings/followers the gap becomes very big.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
AW Breakfix #947 has been submitted. I'll let you all know when it has been accepted/approved.
Excellent thanks!
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
No worries...glad I could help. For any Mentor level accounts playing this game, you can grab the HTML and CSS files at: <a href="https://github.com/finderski/roll20-character-shee" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/finderski/roll20-character-shee</a>... That way you can use a custom sheet until the Pull Request is accepted.

Edited 1437318660
Thank you a whole bunch just one thing too mention, exp still seems to not save right. Also question, how do i use these new fixed sheets for my game that is already going?
Hi Joshua, experience seems to save fine when I try it in the sample game linked above?
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Joshua, the fixes haven't been accepted yet, so the current sheet will still have the problems. I'll let everyone know when the pull request has been accepted. As for your other question, if you are currently using the AW sheet that is found on the website, this will automatically update. Some field names had to change, so I would recommend you write down anything you don't want to lose just to be safe. Most things should be fine, just a word of caution.
So how long does it typically take for a fix to be accepted?
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Derk G. said: So how long does it typically take for a fix to be accepted? Well, they usually do it once or twice a week, best case scenario. &nbsp;I just found out, this isn't the best case scenario....they are having problems accepting the merge for some reason (not sure why), so we are trying to work through that. :-/ I'll keep you posted as I get more information.
G V. said: Derk G. said: So how long does it typically take for a fix to be accepted? Well, they usually do it once or twice a week, best case scenario. &nbsp;I just found out, this isn't the best case scenario....they are having problems accepting the merge for some reason (not sure why), so we are trying to work through that. :-/ I'll keep you posted as I get more information. Ok thanks. Not too worried, next session is a week from now :)
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Ok...finally got conflicts resolved (had to nuke my fork and start over), and the merge has been accepted. &nbsp;So, the next time the servers are refreshed with updated Character Sheets, this sheet should be good to go. &nbsp;What that means...you all should have the fixes in a few days. :)
Excellent! Thanks for your support, man!
Much thanks indeed but it seems like some things like Harm can be checked but then they won't stay unchecked. Sorry to be a pain in the ass.
I just checked and can confirm the 'staying clicked issue'. Which is odd, because I don't recall this occurring when we tested it previously.
Yeah I just checked it out, the improvements, exp, and harm if checked cannot be unchecked. If you uncheck it then close the window the next time you open the window it will be checked again. Really sorry to be such a pain.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
I'll take a look and see if I can see what's up.&nbsp;
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
I think I know the issue, but just to be clear, those checkboxes don't affect rolls, correct? Or, at least don't affect the roll buttons on the character sheet...
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Ok. Should be fixed now. &nbsp;If you all want to test and make sure. If there's nothing else, I'll get this lat fix submitted as soon as I hear from you all (just want to make sure I didn't break something else while fixing this bug).
Just checked with the test game. Observations: * First time I tried them, all the conditions e.g. Shattered (even if unchecked) have a negative impact on the roll. If I then check and uncheck them, this effect goes away. Maybe due to their default checked status? NB. This is NOT solidly reproducable, I tried making a new character in my own game, and do not see this effect.... Weird! * Harm works OK * Shattered works OK * Crippled works OK * Disfigured works OK * Broken works OK But: * Experience checks and improvement checks cannot be undone at this time Looking at the code I can't find any difference between Crippled and the other conditions. Weird!
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Derk, thanks for the feedback. I went in and corrected the same problem that the other fields (experience and improvements) were having. Oh, I also found the show/hide checkbox you were talking about that broke...I fixed that so that the improvements now show/hide appropriately.&nbsp; The weird thing about the conditions is that they don't have a default to be checked. &nbsp;I created a new character and didn't observe that effect. &nbsp;I promoted you to GM so that you can create new characters to test things out.
I was only able to do a brief check, but it does look like that has been resolved. The odd behaviour that was not reproducible may have been due to my campaign transitioning to the updated sheets - although I fail to see the mechanism there. If you upload your latest update to github, I will keep an eye on things during today's game.

Edited 1438171185
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
It's up on GitHub... EDIT: And by that, I mean, it's located at:&nbsp; <a href="https://github.com/finderski/roll20-character-shee" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/finderski/roll20-character-shee</a>...
Thanks, that should do the trick :)
Yeah the test games seems to have everything fixed so I shall now wait with baited breath for the sheets to get updated.
Had a game last night and everything worked fine. Ace stuff!
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Awesome. Pull Request #970 has been created. I'll let you know once I hear of its acceptance. Happy gaming everyone. :)
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Pull Request #970 was accepted yesterday, so all the final updates should be available to everyone within the next few days.