Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can Inline Rolls indicate successes?

I'm trying to set up a single macro to allow me to silently check all of my players' perception rolls in a single macro. However, I'm using a roll-under system, making it necessary to roll under a character's attribute to succeed. The inline roll doesn't return a success indication. Is there a way to indicate successes on an inline roll? If it matters, this is the macro I'm using: /w gm Character rolls Alertness: [[1d20 <@{Character|Alertness}]] Or do the limitations of inline-rolling prohibit the return of a success indication?
Only as a zero or one for fail / success.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
However, you're a mentor, so you should take a look at Powercards V3.0 ; this new version was released today and HoneyBadger still needs to add the documentation on logic (as I post this), but it boils down to 'show this line if the result is this, show THIS line if the result is THIS', so you can make it show 'SUCCESS" or 'FAILURE' on your roll.
HoneyBadger said: Only as a zero or one for fail / success. Thanks! That's effectively what I was looking for. I just didn't realize it was a binary yes/no output. And I'll check out Powercards 3. So far, it sounds complicated, but awesome.
Do the PowerCards require that a Character Sheet be used? Or should I just be able to copy/paste it into the API script section of the campaign?
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
No, powercards do not require a character sheet be used. It is an API script, so yeah, put it in as a new script and save it.
Spren
Sheet Author
Not an ideal choice but maybe you could use crit successes or fails instead? [[1d20cf<@{Character|Alertness}]] maybe?
Jador said: HoneyBadger said: Only as a zero or one for fail / success. Thanks! That's effectively what I was looking for. I just didn't realize it was a binary yes/no output. And I'll check out Powercards 3. So far, it sounds complicated, but awesome. Just hit me up in a private message or in the thread if you have any questions about PowerCards.

Edited 1432737796
Saitama said: Not an ideal choice but maybe you could use crit successes or fails instead? [[1d20cf<@{Character|Alertness}]] maybe? That's actually a pretty damn good way to use crit numbers. I would change it to something like the following. That way you would only have to glance at the list and look for green / red for success / failure. /w GM **GROUP Alertness** *Character 1:* [[ 1d20cs<@{Character1|Alertness}cf>[[@{Character1|Alertness}+1]] ]] *Character 2:* [[ 1d20cs<@{Character2|Alertness}cf>[[@{Character2|Alertness}+1]] ]] *Character 3:* [[ 1d20cs<@{Character3|Alertness}cf>[[@{Character3|Alertness}+1]] ]] *Character 4:* [[ 1d20cs<@{Character4|Alertness}cf>[[@{Character4|Alertness}+1]] ]]
Spren
Sheet Author
I didn't even realize you can chain them like that. Works brilliantly HoneyBadger, nice one.
Yes! It works perfectly. Apprently when I copy-pasted it into the API field, something got garbled, and I didn't notice the error. I also wonder if it is possible to do math within the powercard content. For instance, when damage is determined by the difference between two die rolls, could you somehow compare the two within the macro? I.E. !power {{ --Name|Mace Attack --leftsub|Normal Action --rightsub|Melee Attack --Attack|[[1d20+@{attacker|Str}]] --Defense[[1d20@{target|Dex}]] -- somehow subtract "Attack" from "Defense" and if the number is not negative, display this number as the "Damage." I'll read over the PowerCards documentation again. I'm pretty thick-headed when it comes to this type of thing, but it looks pretty amazing! ALSO: Thanks for the idea for using Criticals. I'm going to experiment with this too.
You can't subtract one roll from the other yet in PowerCards. I had it working briefly, but it was causing too many crashes. I'm working on it still though.
You can use Extended Expressions for the damage display: !extend &{template:default} {{name=Mace Attack}} {{Normal Action=Melee Attack}} {{Attack=`(1d20+4)[attack]`}} {{Defense=`(1d20+3)[defense]`}}`(${attack}>${defense}?" {{Damage="+(${attack}-${defense})+"}}":"")` I'm not super-familiar with PowerCards, but you could probably combine the two into something like: !extend !power {{ --Name|Mace Attack --leftsub|Normal Action --rightsub|Melee Attack --Attack|`(1d20+@{attacker|Str})[attack]` --Defense|`(1d20@{target|Dex})[defense]` `(${attack}>${defense} ? "--Damage|[[" + (${attack}-${defense}) + "]]" : "")` }}
It's still pretty amazing. I'll probably use it a lot. Thanks again!
manveti said: You can use Extended Expressions for the damage display: With your script, does it allow the use of a single roll for multiple instances? As in I roll a d10+3 which results in a 8, then below that in a template/power card that same 8 is used to multiply into something else? Or am I misinterpreting it
Jake M. said: manveti said: You can use Extended Expressions for the damage display: With your script, does it allow the use of a single roll for multiple instances? As in I roll a d10+3 which results in a 8, then below that in a template/power card that same 8 is used to multiply into something else? Or am I misinterpreting it Anything you put a label on can be used later. So if you had a "(1d10+3)[foo]", you could have a "${foo}*42" later in the command which would multiply the result of the "1d10+3" by 42.
manveti said: Jake M. said: manveti said: You can use Extended Expressions for the damage display: With your script, does it allow the use of a single roll for multiple instances? As in I roll a d10+3 which results in a 8, then below that in a template/power card that same 8 is used to multiply into something else? Or am I misinterpreting it Anything you put a label on can be used later. So if you had a "(1d10+3)[foo]", you could have a "${foo}*42" later in the command which would multiply the result of the "1d10+3" by 42. Welp, looks like there is a new script I need to learn. Thank you!