Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Roll20app Character sheet?

The default and shaped character sheets work on the tables, but they are not nearly optimized for them. I would enjoy seeing a specialized "tablet" version of a character sheet with larger, more easily clicked buttons for the normally used stuff. I.e, attacks, cantrips, skill checks etc. i mentioned this to Mark in his shaped sheet thread and he didn't see the value, but having played an in person game with the roll20app I can tell you, there has to be a much more efficient use of the "sheet" for the tablet. I like the default and the shaped sheet and they work great for computers but I just think the table sheet could get some tlc. thoughts?
+1
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
As all character sheets are community developed, so you'll have to convince the sheet authors to put in the time to make their sheets more compatible with the tablet app.
Brian said: As all character sheets are community developed, so you'll have to convince the sheet authors to put in the time to make their sheets more compatible with the tablet app. Yeah I figured this would be a good spring board for that. If we can get the community to say they want it, rather than just me. :) Then I hope an author(s) might pick up the task. It looks like you're a sheet author Brian, what is your take on this?
Or you could make your own sheet that is tablet friendly. I am certain that neither of them would mind you using their sheets as a template, then you wouldn't have to start from scratch. I personally don't want Actoba to spend time on anything other than what he wants to change on his already perfect sheet. The shaped sheet is in constant flux so I don't think Mark has time to do anything else, but am surprised he doesn't think it would be a valuable change. I don't even use a tablet while gaming roll 20 but think that more people would with functioning interface.
michael s. said: Or you could make your own sheet that is tablet friendly. I am certain that neither of them would mind you using their sheets as a template, then you wouldn't have to start from scratch. I personally don't want Actoba to spend time on anything other than what he wants to change on his already perfect sheet. The shaped sheet is in constant flux so I don't think Mark has time to do anything else, but am surprised he doesn't think it would be a valuable change. I don't even use a tablet while gaming roll 20 but think that more people would with functioning interface. Yeah, I could look at it but sadly my learning curve would begin at 0 and I don't even have time right now to play games let alone create a sheet but after the kids are out of school and things die down at work, if no one has made an effort there is a decent chance i'll revist making my own for this purpose.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Greg B. said: Brian said: As all character sheets are community developed, so you'll have to convince the sheet authors to put in the time to make their sheets more compatible with the tablet app. Yeah I figured this would be a good spring board for that. If we can get the community to say they want it, rather than just me. :) Then I hope an author(s) might pick up the task. It looks like you're a sheet author Brian, what is your take on this? The Exalted 2e sheet relies on hover functionality for the various Craft abilities. My sheet is worse than most when it comes to the native app. =P

Edited 1433605262
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
What has previously been suggested to me was to create a separate sheet entirely to handle mobile - which is a lot of work and not a good idea as you'll have a mix of desktop and mobile players. The core page is very constrained on size. The click areas and input sizes are all below the recommended sizes for mobile, but if they were actually the right sizes then the sheet would be way too massive on desktop. The whole idea of the core page is to have information presented in a compact way. The only way to really handle it is to make an alternate core page for mobile - in which case it'd likely take up 3x the amount of space. Though that would add to the code bloat which Greg has mentioned before. Plus the current user base is nearly all desktop from what I can tell. A few have brought up issues with the sheet which I've solved. Though on the UI side I've only seen suggestions from Greg.
where do you go to create a character sheet?
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Cassie C. said: where do you go to create a character sheet? Custom character sheets are a feature available to Mentor subscribers from the campaign settings page, and they are written in HTML and CSS. All campaign owners (Mentor or not) can select from community-created character sheets on the same page. Community-created character sheets are submitted to the GitHub repository . Anyone may submit a community sheet, but it is unfeasible to test changes to your sheet without the ability to create a custom sheet (which requires a Mentor subscription).
So I took Brian's advice and spent like 30 minutes on what i'd like to see a "Shaped version" of the Shaped Character sheet specifically for the Roll20app. Here is a quick draft of what I came up with. Any location with a dice I would like to see the button much larger. I don't know html 5, so I can't alter Mark's code myself without serious dabbling, and I would rather it be something another sheet author supported than I. I think that would work great for an iPad. I think the buttons across the top for the pages are good too, although I could see you putting Cantrips - 9th level spells down the list. I think the Initiative dice could stand to be a bit larger too, and moving it to a different location (middle of the sheet) wouldn't be bad. Mark has that feature where it doesn't send it to the tracker. I'm also oak with putting the Ability scores to the far left and moving everything else right. I think it would be cool too if we broke the skills into a table of two rather than one long list. If there is room, I could see putting racial abilities on the front page too. I would be super happy if someone could alter this as a separate "Custom Sheet" so I could just create a campaign with my Physical characters to use it with. Anyways, let me know your thoughts. -Greg
Anyone know a good site that would allow me to paste css code in and rearrange the "tables" and have the code update? Just a thought, or some other useful tools that might let me alter the css / html without trying to figure out what parts are going where.. etc..
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
<a href="http://jsfiddle.net" rel="nofollow">http://jsfiddle.net</a> is a great site. Include <a href="https://d3clqjduf2gvxg.cloudfront.net/assets/base.css" rel="nofollow">https://d3clqjduf2gvxg.cloudfront.net/assets/base.css</a> and <a href="https://d3clqjduf2gvxg.cloudfront.net/assets/app.css" rel="nofollow">https://d3clqjduf2gvxg.cloudfront.net/assets/app.css</a> in the "External Resources" section to make sure you get the default styles you need. To make sure everything looks correct, you should also include the following HTML around the character sheet's code: &lt;div class="ui-dialog ui-widget-content ui-corner-all"&gt; &lt;div class="ui-dialog-titlebar ui-helper-clearfix"&gt; &lt;span class="ui-dialog-title"&gt;Custom Character Sheet&lt;/span&gt; &lt;/div&gt; &lt;div class="ui-dialog-content"&gt; &lt;form class="sheetform"&gt; &lt;div id="charsheet" class="charsheet"&gt; &lt;!-- CHARACTER SHEET CODE GOES HERE --&gt; &lt;/div&gt; &lt;/form&gt; &lt;/div&gt; &lt;/div&gt;
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
@Greg Here is what the sheet currently looks like on my chromebook: The page has nearly no gaps except underneath death saves (where NPC traits are currently shown). It is quite compact and shows most everything a user needs in a small compact form. It has quick actions for weapons and quick usage of spell slots/points. It also looks very close to the paper sheet. Specific feedback comparing your ideas to the sheet above: Shuffle : Your suggestion branches away from the idea of staying true to the original sheet with the shuffle. Roll20 specifically suggests staying true to the paper sheet and I think it is a good idea to try to keep that consistency as much as possible. Removing of items : There are always going to be items on the sheet that not everyone uses. I, for instance, don't use XP at all and rarely use bonuses & penalties, but other people use xp and several classes like Barbarian utilize Bonuses & Penalties quite often. Your goal here was to strip away the items that are "quick" ways of accessing other pages. Adding Weapons & Spellbook: I can easily reorganize the pages to appear in order of important. Core -&gt; Weapons -&gt; Spells -&gt; rest. This would allow you to use the "Show All" button. Weapons vs new weapons: New weapons will be the main supported way. The old ones will stay there for a long while, but only showing them isn't the direction the sheet will do. Expanding areas: Getting everything to fit just right is massively difficult. I have spent 2 months now tinkering with the core page. I think you'll experience how difficult it is if you try playing with it yourself. Desktop vs Tablet Versions: What you have above is mainly for tablets, but to use that sheet would assume all of your players are on tablets. Ideally the sheet should work on both. Adding a tablet specific page would bloat the page quite significantly. TL;DR: I think you'll find that your vision is going to be harder to implement than you think. I will happily reorder the pages in order of importance to work with "Show All", but I think the design you suggested is not organized as well and strays too far from the paper sheet.
Brian said: <a href="http://jsfiddle.net" rel="nofollow">http://jsfiddle.net</a> is a great site. Include <a href="https://d3clqjduf2gvxg.cloudfront.net/assets/base.css" rel="nofollow">https://d3clqjduf2gvxg.cloudfront.net/assets/base.css</a> and <a href="https://d3clqjduf2gvxg.cloudfront.net/assets/app.css" rel="nofollow">https://d3clqjduf2gvxg.cloudfront.net/assets/app.css</a> in the "External Resources" section to make sure you get the default styles you need. To make sure everything looks correct, you should also include the following HTML around the character sheet's code: &lt;div class="ui-dialog ui-widget-content ui-corner-all"&gt; &lt;div class="ui-dialog-titlebar ui-helper-clearfix"&gt; &lt;span class="ui-dialog-title"&gt;Custom Character Sheet&lt;/span&gt; &lt;/div&gt; &lt;div class="ui-dialog-content"&gt; &lt;form class="sheetform"&gt; &lt;div id="charsheet" class="charsheet"&gt; &lt;!-- CHARACTER SHEET CODE GOES HERE --&gt; &lt;/div&gt; &lt;/form&gt; &lt;/div&gt; &lt;/div&gt; Thanks, I'll play with it.
Mark said: @Greg Here is what the sheet currently looks like on my chromebook: The page has nearly no gaps except underneath death saves (where NPC traits are currently shown). It is quite compact and shows most everything a user needs in a small compact form. It has quick actions for weapons and quick usage of spell slots/points. It also looks very close to the paper sheet. Specific feedback comparing your ideas to the sheet above: Shuffle : Your suggestion branches away from the idea of staying true to the original sheet with the shuffle. Roll20 specifically suggests staying true to the paper sheet and I think it is a good idea to try to keep that consistency as much as possible. Removing of items : There are always going to be items on the sheet that not everyone uses. I, for instance, don't use XP at all and rarely use bonuses & penalties, but other people use xp and several classes like Barbarian utilize Bonuses & Penalties quite often. Your goal here was to strip away the items that are "quick" ways of accessing other pages. Adding Weapons & Spellbook: I can easily reorganize the pages to appear in order of important. Core -&gt; Weapons -&gt; Spells -&gt; rest. This would allow you to use the "Show All" button. Weapons vs new weapons: New weapons will be the main supported way. The old ones will stay there for a long while, but only showing them isn't the direction the sheet will do. Expanding areas: Getting everything to fit just right is massively difficult. I have spent 2 months now tinkering with the core page. I think you'll experience how difficult it is if you try playing with it yourself. Desktop vs Tablet Versions: What you have above is mainly for tablets, but to use that sheet would assume all of your players are on tablets. Ideally the sheet should work on both. Adding a tablet specific page would bloat the page quite significantly. TL;DR: I think you'll find that your vision is going to be harder to implement than you think. I will happily reorder the pages in order of importance to work with "Show All", but I think the design you suggested is not organized as well and strays too far from the paper sheet. Thanks for the feedback Mark, don't get me wrong I love the sheet. As as I mentioned before the problems with it are only on the tablet. The dice are two small for my fingers to press them accurately. The resistance and immunities are probably much to large for a PC. The new weapons aren't working correctly on the app at the moment, we found that bug. as for the tablet vs desktop, the roll20app is intended to be used for face to face games, since their is no grid. I think the normal version works just fine with tablets via browser. Because of this a custom based design the roll20app doesn't. So I think there is an opportunity here to create one. Most people create their characters in a separate campaign for their in person games, so I think even custom code with the proposed larger buttons would be ideal. i could definitely see reordering things as a great first start with weapons and spells being a higher priority.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I've reordered the pages per my latest post on the main sheet . I think you should get most of what you want now with the "Show All" button. That should be a good workable solution at least for now. I do agree that the tablet experience could use improvement in terms of sizing, but we're quite limited currently. I recently had the idea of moving most of the bonuses to other sheets (save bonuses, check bonuses, skill bonuses, passive skill bonuses - stuff that is rarely used besides magical items). It would make the sheet a bit harder for users who used those things, but would be much clearer and allow for more space for users who didn't. Though for spacing purposes we'd have to vertically expand each row to allow for bigger buttons. I'd also really love to fix that heart issue - but I have no idea why it is being rendered differently on my chromebook and tablets. I'll think through some ideas - the main difference as I see it is the spacing of buttons. Hopefully I can make some improvements there soon. Though we'll need roll20 to do some bug fixing as well for tablets to work better.
Mark said: I've reordered the pages per my latest post on the main sheet . I think you should get most of what you want now with the "Show All" button. That should be a good workable solution at least for now. I do agree that the tablet experience could use improvement in terms of sizing, but we're quite limited currently. I recently had the idea of moving most of the bonuses to other sheets (save bonuses, check bonuses, skill bonuses, passive skill bonuses - stuff that is rarely used besides magical items). It would make the sheet a bit harder for users who used those things, but would be much clearer and allow for more space for users who didn't. Though for spacing purposes we'd have to vertically expand each row to allow for bigger buttons. I'd also really love to fix that heart issue - but I have no idea why it is being rendered differently on my chromebook and tablets. I'll think through some ideas - the main difference as I see it is the spacing of buttons. Hopefully I can make some improvements there soon. Though we'll need roll20 to do some bug fixing as well for tablets to work better. Agreed, ok I'll play with it and see how it works.
So I played around with it and overall I think it will be a lot easier to use with the adjustments in "Show All" Sadly I can't use it yet because of the bugs with the inline rolls in the app. As for the new weapon section, do we really need to have quick weapons on the front page as well as on the weapons page? Screenshots. Screenshot of the BUG
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Quick Attacks: I will add a toggle on the weapons page. In that case you can toggle them off there and the weapons page would be basically just 1 collapsed bar of buttons (Melee, Ranged, Old, Quick). I'll do this when I'm back. Buttons Stacking: I cannot replicate this on any of my devices (chromebook, android phone, windows PC) so it's hard for me to determine what is causing this. I still need to see how actions work on the same device as that code is basically the same code. I don't see how one works and the other doesn't. Spells are very similar as well. Same with EVERY button on the page... I really can't comprehend how this 1 implementation of it doesn't work, but I'll investigate when I'm home. Top part of page cut off: I was using a negative margin top that saves us 13 pixels on desktop. That seems to be horrible for tablet. Can't change to NPC, can't change language. I'll have to fix this in one way or another. Checks and saves: I assume you're on the June 9th version? They shouldn't be broken down to 2 lines like that. It looks fine on desktop. I can verify my math and everything when I'm back. Nested Inline: Can't do anything about it. Up to roll20. :(
Mark said: Quick Attacks: I will add a toggle on the weapons page. In that case you can toggle them off there and the weapons page would be basically just 1 collapsed bar of buttons (Melee, Ranged, Old, Quick). I'll do this when I'm back. This sounds perfect. Thanks Mark. Buttons Stacking: I cannot replicate this on any of my devices (chromebook, android phone, windows PC) so it's hard for me to determine what is causing this. I still need to see how actions work on the same device as that code is basically the same code. I don't see how one works and the other doesn't. Spells are very similar as well. Same with EVERY button on the page... I really can't comprehend how this 1 implementation of it doesn't work, but I'll investigate when I'm home. Yeah, not sure how to help you with that either, I'm using an iPad Air, but it seems to have that issue on the iPad Mini and the iPad 3rd Gen as well but only via the roll20app, the website displays it just fine. Top part of page cut off: I was using a negative margin top that saves us 13 pixels on desktop. That seems to be horrible for tablet. Can't change to NPC, can't change language. I'll have to fix this in one way or another. Not sure it matters that much, but yes that is the June 9th version. This might impact the Checks and Saves though.. Shrugs. Checks and saves: I assume you're on the June 9th version? They shouldn't be broken down to 2 lines like that. It looks fine on desktop. I can verify my math and everything when I'm back. Yep, thought the screenshot might be helpful. Nested Inline: Can't do anything about it. Up to roll20. :( Yeah I know, bummer. Hopefully soon, I'm following the bug report topic as well.