Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×
Advertisement Create a free account

[Question] Can we use links to images in API?

Last I had mentorship for a month is a bit ago (the pathfinder Bio to Charactersheet importer was still new) - but back then many of the api things that would be interesting to me required extensive setup for uploading pictures/placing them as tokens/naming them just the right thing - and I still failed getting them to work, after giving up fairly soon. My attitude was that given how much work someone else already put into it, people shouldn't have to as well on top of that every time they want to use it. If they want to modify it (say change the graphics used) then sure, but it should come with default things that can just be used. Copy api, save, play. Cast burning hands and get a dope token to appear for that - or subtract hp and there's blood or whatever. I remember the problem was that the pictures had to make reference to things you had in your libary. But lately (as a non mentor player) I've used images in chat and in makros, so are they used now in API too? Can I take, say Blood and Honor or what it was called, and copy it and just have it work without setting it up (assuming I like the default settings, if there are settings)? This is also a question of whether I want to get into making new API, since some of my visual ideas would be really annoying if GMs had to do much setup just to get my little things to work.
1435262984
The Aaron
Forum Champion
API Scripter
The state of creation of images for the API has not changed yet, I'm sorry to say. The API still can only create images that are in a user library, and not images that are in the Marketplace or images that are on the wider internet. This is the poster-child suggestion for the topic: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1749220/api-tags" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1749220/api-tags</a>... I'm confident this will change at some point, possibly soon, but it hasn't yet.
Julix said: I remember the problem was that the pictures had to make reference to things you had in your libary. But lately (as a non mentor player) I've used images in chat and in makros, so are they used now in API too? For changing the image source of tokens/avatars they need to exist in your library. If the script is outputting to the chat, you can use external sources as much as your heart desires. It is a limitation but for img source for tokens + avatar it's understandable.
hm.... blood splatter in the chat is just not as satisfying... but I guess it's better than nothing. maybe a good idea.
Julix said: hm.... blood splatter in the chat is just not as satisfying... You could just upload it to your library then that's available to use as a token/avatar source. It's not a large leap by any means.
1435324403
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The Aaron said: The state of creation of images for the API has not changed yet, I'm sorry to say. The API still can only create images that are in a user library, and not images that are in the Marketplace or images that are on the wider internet. This is the poster-child suggestion for the topic: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1749220/api-tags" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1749220/api-tags</a>... I'm confident this will change at some point, possibly soon, but it hasn't yet. Your vote can change the life of a child (not really.)
1435324627

Edited 1435324653
Ken L. said: Julix said: hm.... blood splatter in the chat is just not as satisfying... You could just upload it to your library then that's available to use as a token/avatar source. It's not a large leap by any means. Last time I tried I failed. I think it was finding the link of the image to the api that ruined it... :-S Maybe I should try again (maybe harder too) and just ask for help if I get stuck. Advantage of the chat based splatter is it would work even without api...
1435333266

Edited 1435336823
Actually... I'm getting stuck again. I can't figure out where to get the link from for the images in my library... :-S Edit: managed... finally. Edit 2: Bhahahahaha damn. Just found there's a video explaining it in the associated forum thread... damn.
1435503946
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Stephen S. said: The Aaron said: The state of creation of images for the API has not changed yet, I'm sorry to say. The API still can only create images that are in a user library, and not images that are in the Marketplace or images that are on the wider internet. This is the poster-child suggestion for the topic: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1749220/api-tags" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1749220/api-tags</a>... I'm confident this will change at some point, possibly soon, but it hasn't yet. Your vote can change the life of a child (not really.)