Advertisement Create a free account

Social ability to "Friend" and "Like" another player

Score + 40
It would be nice if there was a way to friend players on Roll20, as well as "Like" them publicly. I'd like to keep track of the players I've played with that I want to play with again other than by bookmarking their user/profile page. Also, I want to reward those who play well publicly so that others can see that this player is well-liked.
1439841656

Edited 1439845467
Gold
Roll20 Mod Team
Good ideas, B.T. For some alternate techniques for Friend'ing in the meantime (to keep track of your favorite/friend-players, until such a Social feature could be added): One idea is to you can keep a list of the unique URL webpage links for each person's Profile. Each person's Profile has a unique web address if you click on their name in the forums. Another approach is: Start a game that is a pool of Players you know. Invite your friends to message about games and draw-upon the participants from the friend-group-club-tavern. You could start a free campaign called "Tyrant's Tavern" (example), and invite the Friends to join it. From there you would obtain some of the benefits of social network Friend'ing such as being able to talk on private game Forum, private game Chat, and click-to-PM, click-to-view their profiles, all from your Tavern game group page. Related suggestions Note: There have been a couple of matching suggestions to this, since this thread has a nice title and is attracting more votes for a foundation, I would like to invite the other threads to +1 this thread and add directly-related comments for this particular subject.
1461516512
As a thought, to build upon Tyrant's idea of "liking" players' profiles, the ability to "Rate" a GM.
I'd like a better solution for keeping track of players I'd like to play again with in the future, but I don't think making it public is a good idea. Lets say I only have time for one weekly campaign, but the campaign is fun for everyone so it lasts 2 years. I'm going to gain at most 10(?) likes. Lets say I'm a problem player that isn't completely antisocial. In 2 years, I've joined and wrecked 10 games, but at least 3/10 players I played with in each game didn't hate me or were too nice to not feel pressured into liking me. I'd have 30 likes. The liking metric doesn't work the way we want. It primarily rewards players who play a lot of games and has little relation with player quality.
Brian M said: I'd like a better solution for keeping track of players I'd like to play again with in the future, but I don't think making it public is a good idea. Lets say I only have time for one weekly campaign, but the campaign is fun for everyone so it lasts 2 years. I'm going to gain at most 10(?) likes. Lets say I'm a problem player that isn't completely antisocial. In 2 years, I've joined and wrecked 10 games, but at least 3/10 players I played with in each game didn't hate me or were too nice to not feel pressured into liking me. I'd have 30 likes. The liking metric doesn't work the way we want. It primarily rewards players who play a lot of games and has little relation with player quality. An easy solution would be to gate when you can vote for someone until you'd played with them a specific amount of time.
Darius S. said: As a thought, to build upon Tyrant's idea of "liking" players' profiles, the ability to "Rate" a GM. That's a great idea!
I would like to add that it would be nice to be able to have a associated "group" list that you can invite to game without having to send them a url or a email.  
Yes, a Favorite button for other players is certainly needed. You should also be able (if the player's privacy settings allow) to see what games the player is in, or at least which ones he is running.
1499284149
B Simon Smith
Marketplace Creator
I would prefer this to be an "Opt-In" situation, as unless I'm advertising for a new campaign, I generally don't want to be contacted, nor do I want people seeing the games I'm involved in.
+1
1544735884
+1.  Right now the only way to keep up with other players is through your games. But if a GM decides to bail and deletes their game, you're suddenly unable to find your fellow players. There's no way to track them down. Sadly, games get deleted far too often without warning.  A simple friends list would be awesome.
1544739684
As a possible workaround, you can go to your Profile page ( https://app.roll20.net/users/me/ ) and look at the "You've Recently Played With" list on the left-hand side.
1544882997

Edited 1544883011
Rabulias said: As a possible workaround, you can go to your Profile page ( https://app.roll20.net/users/me/ ) and look at the "You've Recently Played With" list on the left-hand side. Unfortunately, that's not a very reliable list. Mine shows people I last played with a year ago and is missing people who I currently am in a game with.