Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Question for Cthulhu Fans, Keepers, or 1920s era GMs

PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
I'm almost ready to release a batch of tokens similar to the one above, but before I do I would really appreciate some feedback on the border/background for the token. I was going for an Art Deco style thing to try and convey the 1920-30s era, but I'm concerned that it is eitehr too "busy" and distracting, does not fit the theme for which I imagine most of these will be used, or is just plain rubbish and you hate it. The figures are all done pretty much, so no requests on content (but please do PM me that for the next one!) if you wouldn't mind. Instead I would just very much appreciate your take on the background, or any other observations you wish to make. It's time consuming and I want to deliver something that Roll20 GMs and players want/need, so I'm throwing this open to you. I'm grateful for your thoughts on the matter.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I think it looks really cool, but the token does kind of get lost in the background. It's bright colors draw the eye. Maybe something more subdued or a subtle outer glow on the figure?
I really like the style (and am just about to be restarting a 7th Ed CoC game so may have to buy these for my GM)... but I agree with the Aaron, while I love the art deco effect the background is a bit too distracting - could you maybe normalise or fade it a bit?

Edited 1436386363
When I opened this forum my eyes went straight to the background then to the token, it is to busy, especially for such a calm in control, dark looking token. I love the actual token though btw, but yeah the background draws the eye from the token, I am not an artist by any stretch of the imagination so I can't tell you why or suggest what would be better but personally the background is just to busy for the type of token and I would highly suggest changing/modifying it.
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
Awesome feedback, thank you all. I got the same kind of response on Reddit, and I have amended them as a result. The new tokens will look like this: Same design, more subtle colours. I really appreciate you taking the time to critique it, I want to make things people enjoy using. I hope they'll fit your needs, I've had a blast making them (so much that I am considering at least 2-3 packs of them).

Edited 1436391845
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
I wonder what that token would look like if the tie was a splash of maroon, to draw the eye inwards towards the center of the token. But then that'd require each figure being token-ized to have some accent to likewise draw the eye in, which may be problematic.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I like it. The first thing I see are the lapels and shirt collar.
Looking good... out of curiosity when are you expecting to submit these to the market (after an 18 month hiatus we're returning to CoC in a few weeks and I really like the style).
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
Forum rules forbid me from advertising / promoting packs which are not yet live. I appreciate the interest though, so I'll PM you.