Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Much-needed map features: Sorting folders, Portal-links, and more

Score + 120

Edited 1435907607
Right now, any maps in a campaign are displayed in one long drop-down ribbon. You can shuffle them around, but this is slow work. If I want to take a map from one end of the ribbon to the other, I usually have to drag it to the edge of the screen, drop it there, manually scroll the ribbon over another scren width, and repeat. In a big campaign like the one I'm running ( Kingmaker , for Pathfinder), I'm already up to 48 maps, and the PCs haven't even finished the 1st book of the Adventure Path. And that's with me re-using "generic random encounter" maps like "forest clearing". Now I personally have developed an intricate system of coordinates to preface each specific map that shows me which overland map hex and which section from which book it corresponds to. But most people aren't gonna want to do that, probably. So here's what I propose: Drop-down, cascading lists for sorting sub-maps. Say you've got "The Town of Kingdomsville" over at one place, and "The Fortress of Doom" at another place. You want both of those to have multiple sub-maps inside them. So what I envision is that a GM would make a folder in the map ribbon called "The Town of Kingdomsville". Inside that folder, the GM would then place sub-maps: overall town layout, the tavern, the jail where the PCs get locked up after getting too rowdy in said tavern, etc. In another folder, you'd have "The Fortress of Doom", with separate maps for above-ground levels and dungeon levels and so forth. So you'd have all your discrete locations' sub-maps sorted neatly in their own folders, easy to find, and contained. You would also be able to "copy folder" from one campaign to another, if for example, you really liked a particular dungeon layout and wanted to transplant it to a new game. Configurable "Portal" links from one map to another. Here's what I envision: say you have an overland map, where the PCs can see their journey from the Town of Kingdomsville to the Fortress of Doom. The GM would be able to set up the map tokens of each of those to link to specific maps elsewhere in the campaign. Clicking would view, Shift-click "transport" the currently selected tokens to that map. So with the GM shift-clicking on the "town" icon, the PCs would find their tokens standing around in town square, or wherever the GM configured that map link to go. If from the overland map, the GM shift-clicked on the fortress, the PCs would see their map screen change to the grounds outside the fortress walls. No more pulling everyone's token in one at a time from the journal every time you want to switch maps. On that note, why not be able to plop down whole groups of tokens by dragging and dropping a folder from the Journal onto the map? Even without the overland scale, this would be usable on regular doors, or (appropriately) mystic portals to take the PCs quickly and efficiently from one map to another. "Move bookmark here" option . As I said, scrolling through the map ribbon takes a while when you've got a lot of maps. Being able to just plop the bookmark down from wherever you happen to be editing a map would be handy. Also while we're at it, can we have the ribbon just stay put where we happen to be editing a map and not snap all the way back to the left every time we drop it down? It's just really annoying when it does that. Height markers /measurement . Gaming in 3 dimensions has always been a shortcoming of tabletop games where most of our stuff is spread out flat on a table, and now a computer screen. But mighty heroes need flying dragons to slay, so we gotta do something for that elusive Z-axis. Don't worry, I'm not proposing a "full 3D" or "video-game-style" interface. All we really need for most games (I think) is is a value we can edit/display that says how high up something is, whether an archer on a castle wall, or a djinn on a flying carpet - and then - an ability to measure that 3-dimensional distance: point A on the ground to point B in the air. I think that would save a lot of headaches on trying to determine if my archer on the battlements can hit that dragon flying overhead.
Just folders for my many maps would be great. My current campaign takes place in a city and I will re-use many, many maps over the course lot time so it's not like I can simply get rid of them. I need a way to easily categorize and store maps for ease of reference and access.
The first one is absolutely necessary. The second I would also love to see, as it would make my life much easier. The third, while it would be nice to have, I don't see as quite as important as the first two, but would certainly be nice to have at some point.
I agree it is a monumental task to scroll through the numerous maps I use on average so I would greatly appreciate a folder in order to sort my maps.

Edited 1450441098
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
Brilliant ideas. Add to that ability for lazy dm's to randomly generate maps from certain token sets they have and we have an absolute winner <a href="http://davesmapper.com/" rel="nofollow">http://davesmapper.com/</a>
Surok
Roll20 Production Team
Yeah I have too many maps, would be nice to have portal links too so transitions go more smoothly.
I am in favor of all of the proposed ideas. The sub-map or folder implementation for pages is something I feel Roll20 is sorely in need of, since there is currently no way of organizing discrete maps without keeping pages in seperate campaigns. My primary Pathfinder campaign spans a wide variety of terrains and locales, and currently has more than 70 pages, which I have no way of sorting or keeping track of save for memory and horizontal positioning. Another campaign I am a co-GM for has more than 50 pages. Again, all of these ideas are splendid and quite useful, but the folder idea is something that has been missing for a while.
Good idea! &nbsp;As it stands now I got a pretty good archive going just to keep the maps at the top of the screen manageable. &nbsp;Not an ideal situation by any means. &nbsp;I would love to have them all at my fingertips for use or modification at any time.
I would love for this to happen.
Would be nice even if they did something like this for pro or not free members&nbsp;
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Until this feature comes to Roll20 proper, pro users may be interested in my&nbsp; Page Navigator script. It helps with moving your players from page to page and allows them to move themselves to pages via portals.
Once this feature is done, it would be nice to see it implemented on purchased modules.&nbsp; I'm running CoS currently, and dragging the players ribbon across 30 maps is just awkward.
Yes! I would love to be able to create a token that players (or the GM) can click, thus transporting their token (or a selected token, etc.) to the selected map (including, maybe, targeted coordinates on said map).&nbsp;
At least on the subject of map organization there is an nearly equally old thread about it that I started. I'd appreciate some some upvotes to it if you all haven't done so. Anyway, adding my upvote here in hopes of getting the devs to move map organization higher on their priority list.
I recommend that you treat these three topics as three separate suggestion threads, to allow more focused feedback and user upvoting. Map organization / folders is covered in a thread with many more votes here, so probably better to throw your weight behind that one (and add a comment for any additional or different functionality than has already been discussed there):&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1618045/a-better-way-to-organize-pages" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1618045/a-better-way-to-organize-pages</a> A way to mark height is interesting, but I am much more excited about the idea of portals / links between pages via tokens / map pins. &nbsp;If you change this post to be just that topic, I’ll add my vote, and if you ask a moderator to change the title appropriately, I bet you’ll generate a lot more interest. Alternatively, close this thread, create a new thread for just map / page linking so that it will show up to those who are watching for new posts, and link to this one for additional background reference. Just my two cents.&nbsp;
+1 especially portals/links. Would be nice to have improved flow between maps!
+1 This is badly needed.&nbsp; I am up to 400 maps in my long running campaign and I really can't understand why a better map sorting feature has not already been implemented.&nbsp; It's kinda ridiculous that we still don't have this, tbh.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Two quick points: Most of what's being requested here can be found in another suggestion with more votes . This suggestion spans across four very different concepts. Suggestions do much better with other users (and are more feasible to develop) when they are more pointed.&nbsp;