Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Mentors, the Forums, and Community Changes...

With the Interface Initiative just around the corner, we’re getting ready for the largest overhaul of the website we’ve had in our three-plus years of existence. We’re using this period to update a lot of things-- many visual, some functional, and in several places we’re focused on semantics. One of the things that will change with the go-live of the Interface Initiative will be the names of upgraded accounts on Roll20-- the “Supporter” will now be “Plus” accounts (in part because we’ve long thought it odd that both subscription levels are certainly “Supporters”) and “Mentor” accounts will now be “Pro.” There are a great many reasons for that switch, and we want to be transparent about how we came to the decision. When Roll20 began via Kickstarter, Mentors were high-level backers who shaped the initial look and feel of the program in numerous ways. Richard, Riley, and I had little tabletop experience outside of 4th Edition D&D, and our only guiding design star was to make choices that mimicked a tabletop instead of specific gameplay. Mentors helped us keep that on track. As time as has gone by, we’ve become better equipped to handle big design decisions while still needing input as to how implementation happened-- thus the use of the Development Server and Mentor feedback. We’ve also done a lot more to make the subscriptions increasingly robust-- the Supporter-now-Plus account truly is an expanded Roll20 experience, and the Mentor-now-Pro account takes things to an entirely different level via features like the API. What’s also occurred has been a slow cultural change as population has increased. By sheer numbers, we’re no longer a place where everyone can possibly know everyone-- or everything. This has increasingly lead to confusion in regards to why someone on the forums with the title, “Mentor” might be unhelpful towards a new user. As our growth has continued, we’ve consistently made choices that put the virtual tabletop and related gaming tools above having a wide-ranging message board. We’d rather have a strong platform where diverse games can happen via small communities than try to referee the range of opinions to be found in what is now a small country’s worth of people. There are no upcoming depletions to service-- Plus accounts will still have Dynamic Lighting, additional “Suggestions” votes, etc. and Pro accounts will have a dedicated forum for feedback on new items, API privileges, and so forth. We are intentionally trying to reinforce the idea that users are paying for a product as opposed to a title or position within the community-- which comes with an added focus on our part of increasing the power and capabilities of the tools we provide to the Plus and Pro level accounts. Hopefully all of this makes sense. Thanks for growing with us, and hope you’re all looking forward to the next few weeks of updates and cool announcements...
I think your intent comes across clearly. Sounds like a good idea. > .. and Pro accounts will have a dedicated forum for feedback on new items, API privileges, and so forth .. Anything about changing the amount of influence beyond the feedback forum that a Pro subscriber will have?
Benevolent Tyrant said: Anything about changing the amount of influence beyond the feedback forum that a Pro subscriber will have? The same influence elements (the Pro forums, increased Suggestions voting) will remain in place. We're considering some ways to further retool subscriber's benefits within Suggestions (multiple votes to a single idea, etc.), but nothing is concrete. Our bigger focus is on bettering the play tools.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Nolan T. J. said: We are intentionally trying to reinforce the idea that users are paying for a product as opposed to a title or position within the community-- which comes with an added focus on our part of increasing the power and capabilities of the tools we provide to the Plus and Pro level accounts. [Emphasis mine] -- I like the sound of that!!!
I have my own program, when one of my players becomes a supporter (plus) member I give them a minor magic item for their character, If they become a mentor (pro), I give them the choice of a special weapon for their character. It is my way of thanking them for supporting the endeavor.
Good stuff. I've been here for years, and a whole cadre of the trolls that used to post here are long gone, due to the diligence of the forum Mods. It's a much cleaner, and overall better community, even though I still only know about 20 of the "Name level" Dms. I am meeting new people all the time, that are coming here from itmejp / twitch, and showing people the ropes when and where I can. So it's good to know our mentor pro $ are going toward something more than a little green badge.
I like the change and hope that it does clear up some confusion with the potential meanings behind the titles.
Gold
Forum Champion
I like the name changes too. Good linguistic choices! Looking forward to seeing the new Pro and Plus titles on the little chicklet / badge by our names.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Personally, I've enjoyed the label of Mentor. When I first upgraded my subscription, it made me feel like it was my duty to help others. Isn't that what a Mentor should do? Anyhow, looking forward to being a Pro. I guess I better step up my game. ;-P
Vince said: Personally, I've enjoyed the label of Mentor. When I first upgraded my subscription, it made me feel like it was my duty to help others. Isn't that what a Mentor should do? Anyhow, looking forward to being a Pro. I guess I better step up my game. ;-P I've honestly gone out of my way to help people just to somewhat live up to that little green tag :( It'll be missed.
The Aaron said: Nolan T. J. said: We are intentionally trying to reinforce the idea that users are paying for a product as opposed to a title or position within the community-- which comes with an added focus on our part of increasing the power and capabilities of the tools we provide to the Plus and Pro level accounts. [Emphasis mine] -- I like the sound of that!!!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Jake M. said: Vince said: Personally, I've enjoyed the label of Mentor. When I first upgraded my subscription, it made me feel like it was my duty to help others. Isn't that what a Mentor should do? Anyhow, looking forward to being a Pro. I guess I better step up my game. ;-P I've honestly gone out of my way to help people just to somewhat live up to that little green tag :( It'll be missed. There is nothing that says Pro's can't be just as helpful and mentor-y ;)
There are plenty of non-mentors that are helpful as well! Maybe they will add some other badge later for that sort of thing.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ed S. said: There are plenty of non-mentors that are helpful as well! Maybe they will add some other badge later for that sort of thing. There is nothing that says ANYONE can't be just as helpful and metor-esque ;) A very valid point Ed!

Edited 1437063599
Ed S. said: There are plenty of non-mentors that are helpful as well! Maybe they will add some other badge later for that sort of thing. HEAR! HEAR! I raise my flagon to all the Users, Supporters, Mentors, and Mods alike! For no other community I know makes a contest out of being the first person to offer help or a solution!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Maybe someone would make or add to a suggestion about a new icon "Helpful" which would be awarded by the devs?
Done :) <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2194093/name-bad" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2194093/name-bad</a>...
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Mark G. [ Helpful ]