Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

The ability to Archive entire Folders

Score + 52
While folders are great, the issue of using them is that it only partially saves space. The ability to archive folders would also allow me to take my folders from previous chapters of Rise of the Runelords, and archive for a later time (I use folders for the handouts). I also want to point out a bug that after so many folders, it seems a couple of mine have bugged out, and the line separating resources is now in the middle of the folder, askewing everything. 
Gold
Forum Champion
Hi Sean! The suggestion thread is valid for the ability to archive entire folders, as you said. Regarding the appearance of a Bug from your closing sentence, please start a new thread about that under Bugs & Technical Issues subforum, rather than Suggestions, and we can investigate the cause and fix for that issue, there.
I'd toss into this that restoring handouts/characters within a folder should place them back in the folder they came from, not at the bottom/top of the list.
Just wanted to say, I'd been looking for this functionality, and I think it would be great if you could add it! It would be incredibly useful to me, for sure.
Sadly this was 7 Months ago. I just ran into the issue not knowing that I would like to have this. 
Ditto.  I organize things well with folders but would love to archive sections of the campaign I don't need anymore or for the future with one command, rather than archiving in bunches and restoring by remembering all the contents of each section.  I know SKT has a well organized chapter structure and I wouldn't need Chapter 8, but don't want to archive and remove the folder and lose the organization.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
My campaigns are growing. This would really help...
A quick reminder/FYI to fellow players and GMs that archived sheets are still loaded with the game, so even if they are archived, they will still take the same time to be loaded when you open the table as if they were just in folders. Thus, you may as well just make a folder called "Old Stuff" and throw everything in there. Of course, my suggestion is useless if you already have the max sub-levels of folder, in which case the "archiving" option would be handy. Best of luck!
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Matt W. said: A quick reminder/FYI to fellow players and GMs that archived sheets are still loaded with the game, so even if they are archived, they will still take the same time to be loaded when you open the table as if they were just in folders. Thus, you may as well just make a folder called "Old Stuff" and throw everything in there. Of course, my suggestion is useless if you already have the max sub-levels of folder, in which case the "archiving" option would be handy. Best of luck! There is no point in archiving? No effect on performance? I though it would reduce the number of characters, or abilities, that my scripts have to look at.

Edited 1491840990
Matt
Plus
Ulti said: Matt W. said: A quick reminder/FYI to fellow players and GMs that archived sheets are still loaded with the game, so even if they are archived, they will still take the same time to be loaded when you open the table as if they were just in folders. Thus, you may as well just make a folder called "Old Stuff" and throw everything in there. Of course, my suggestion is useless if you already have the max sub-levels of folder, in which case the "archiving" option would be handy. Best of luck! There is no point in archiving? No effect on performance? I though it would reduce the number of characters, or abilities, that my scripts have to look at. Nope. Sorry. All attributes from archived characters are still loaded, so they do not affect performance at all. Archiving is really just a holdover from those days when folders were not a thing. It's possible that there is some interaction with API that I do not know about but I think there is no effect. I actually was confused when it did nothing for performance for me and asked a question a while back. Edit: Handouts and maps are loaded dynamically (as you click on them), so archiving them will have an effect, insofar as you can't click on them to load them. Sheets/Journals are always loaded with their attributes no wonder where they are.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Well, many thanks for pointing that out! Instead of archiving, I transmogrify to a dedicated game, now. So, could we also use add the ability to transmogrify entire folders (keeping the structure)?
Ulti said: Well, many thanks for pointing that out! Instead of archiving, I transmogrify to a dedicated game, now. So, could we also use add the ability to transmogrify entire folders (keeping the structure)? This is a suggestion in the forums as well.
Along with archiving by folder, I would add 'all functionality' by folder.  Drop a folder into player journals.  Duplicate a folder.  Transmogriphy a folder between games and have all content organized properly every time.  Basically, two elements - allow sticky organization (sharing, archiving, dearchiving, migrating all retain folder structure) - allow folders to have the same archive/dearchive/duplicate functionality of individual files.
Finius Lyn said: Along with archiving by folder, I would add 'all functionality' by folder.  Drop a folder into player journals.  Duplicate a folder.  Transmogriphy a folder between games and have all content organized properly every time.  Basically, two elements - allow sticky organization (sharing, archiving, dearchiving, migrating all retain folder structure) - allow folders to have the same archive/dearchive/duplicate functionality of individual files. You might get better traction for those ideas in a similar thread that is a bit more alive .
This would be great. this should be brought back into the eye of the public.  We really need this.
Daniel S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Came here because Dungeon of the Mad Mage is obnoxious to sort through when you're all he way on LVL 23 and have to scroll past folders for the previous 22 floors to get to the current handouts.
8 yrs and this still isn't done. Come on team we can do better.