Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Character portraits

Where do you usually get yours? Do you use character portraits to begin with? I'd love to give each character a portrait, but decent free-to-use stuff is so hard to find.

Edited 1440715911
Gold
Forum Champion
In one of my games, the Players draw their own. So that's pretty exciting, and we have that going for us. AD&D 2e.
I just paint my own, half the fun for me. Actually, I got a lot better doing my own character stuff. Been thinking of doing commissions for custom tokens but I'm not too sure how to price it just yet. A friend also suggested I should make my own boarders. Never done something like that before but could be fun. I also have buds that just photobash existing images or drawings to get exactly what they want. Maybe you can try that.
You technically don't need "free to use" stuff as long as you are using it for your own use and not selling or compiling the art. Fair use allows for that, and there are galleries from actual artist full of great character portraits available everywhere.  You could also let the players find images themselves.
One thing that I do is sketch card character illustrations, that can easily be turned into protrait tokens.