Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Dynamic Lighting & Background Images Sized Above 41x41 Units

In my campaign, I have several large encounter map pages (between 50-80 x 50-80 units). On these pages, I have a single background image that spans the entire page at 1:1 scale (i.e. i have not scaled the image up or down). The page settings have dynamic lighting turned on, and there is a single token on the page.  Now - if the background image on the page is sized greater than precisely 41x41 units (e.g. 42x42), my frame rate will drop from a very smooth rate to under 4 fps. If I reduce the size of the background image, my frame rate will immediately shoot back up. Increase the size and it will immediately drop back under 4 fps.  With a 41x41 image, I can in fact add a dozen copies of the same image with no discernible slowdown.  Resize any one of them to 42x42 and the frame-rate plummets.  I have tried multiple file formats, multiple file sizes, multiple compression settings, increasing/reducing the number of tokens and images, and enabling/disabling various GPU tweaks in chrome. Nothing seems to make a difference aside from the background image's size. My environment: Windows 7 Professional x64 Google Chrome (Version 28.0.1500.72 m) Intel Core i7 960 2 x NVidia GeForce GTX560 (in SLi) 12GB DDR3 RAM If there's any additional info you need, please feel free to let me know.
Hmm, I just had a map that was about 90x70 or so with Dynamic Lighting and had none of those problems. However the maps original size was conisderably smaller (maybe 20-30 wide) to start with, and got sized up quite a bit. Maybe your source image is just too large and the rescaling takes a lot of resources? What's the filesize on the image and what format is it in? I use JPG usually for my maps as I noticed PNG creates files way larger than that. Also just for fun try resizing the source image to about 50% size and then scale it up agian, see if that fixes it. Or if still resizing it at all causes the slowdown. Also I'm sure Gauss would tell you to do this, go to <a href="http://supportdetails.com/" rel="nofollow">http://supportdetails.com/</a> and post the details here, without your IP address.
AiuaX, maybe you could tell us more about the particular image itself? &nbsp;What is the file format, actual pixel dimensions, file size (MB size) and what dpi? &nbsp;A high dpi PNG can suck up a fairly surprising amount of graphical resources, for instance.
The original image has the following properties: File Type: .jpg Bit Depth: 24 Dpi: 96 Dimensions: 5950 x 5250 File Size: 2.38MB I've also tested it on a completely blank, white image with 8 bit depth as both .jpg&nbsp;(at 360KB file size) and .png (3.8 KB file size) and suffer the same problem with both. &nbsp;Reducing the source image's size to roughly 3000x3000 pixels, however, does alleviate the problem. &nbsp;It's just surprising to me that a single image sized slightly higher than some limit will cause frame-rate to tank, while having a few dozen images a mere 70 pixels smaller (for a total - I would imagine - resource usage of 20 times higher than the original) retains a very high frame-rate. Now that I know of a way to get around the issue, I can split my maps up into quadrants and things should be fine. &nbsp;I just figured I should let you guys know in case it was a bug with Roll20's handling of large images rather than a hard limit enforced somewhere else. Again, if there's any additional info I can proffer, do let me know. (: Thanks.