Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Looking for critters! (D&D 5e)

Edited 1449442873
UPDATE : The group is now formed and we will no longer be looking for applicants. UPDATE UPDATE:  There is a second group now looking to form. See below for details. UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE  (The Trilogy): The second group is now being split into American and European time zones. Links below. A newly formed group is looking for more fans of Critical Role for a similar D&D 5e experience. One of our players backed out before we could start, so we're looking to refill our ranks. If you like immersive character-driven stories, and prefer putting the roleplaying before the gaming (Prose before Throws) then we'd like you to join us. You don't have to have a lot of experience to join, just a love of telling stories. We're less concerned about having a 'balanced' party, and more about creating interesting characters that we want to play, so pick the character that speaks to you the most and we'll work with that. We plan to meet regularly once a week for a long-standing campaign. Our current schedule is 11 AM (EST) on Thursdays, but is open to change. Some more boring rules: • A good attitude is important. Everyone is here to have fun and tell an epic story, and if you are ruining that by being mean or cheating, then you will not be allowed to continue playing. • The game will be played in English and so you need to be fairly good at the language. Having English as your first language is not at all required, but in order to fully enjoy the campaign you need to be well versed in it. • A good microphone and computer is also a plus, as your roleplay will be a lot better if we can actually hear what you’re saying. If you're interested, please reply with a brief character concept. Don't go into too much detail, as we'll be working on ways to integrate our character backstories to give them some common history, much like the characters on Critical Role. All races and classes from the player's handbook are acceptable. Par exemple: My character is a Human Noble named Quintus Adonis. A bit more lithe than usual for a fighter, Quintus leans on the intellectual side, having studied the art of war in the library as much as on the training grounds. With a strong sense of justice, he wishes to make amends to the common folk in his society for the lack of respect he demonstrated towards a certain individual in his youth. He hopes to prove himself a capable leader, preferring to rally strong companions to his side than show off his martial prowess. When not delivering inspiring speeches to his comrades-in-arms, Quintus enjoys the fine works of ancient elvish philosophers and artists, privy to him in his youth as a wealthy noble. (picture by Tahra on DeviantArt)
Umbra
Sheet Author
Hi! I've been looking for a regular weekday game for a while, and yours definitely fits the bill! Been getting into the show lately (and enjoying it more than I thought I would) so anything that tries to emulate that experience is definitely up my alley.  Concept:  Mallo Vaas has never cared much for prophecy, even one that she herself is fated for. She has heard the words so many times, she fears they might be etched into her brain. (When she does see something that might be considered an omen, she tries her hardest to rationalize it in some other fashion.) Hailing from a small village, she was slated to take over her mother's seat on the town council and as town priestess, but her destined fate got in the way. A weird, magical incident that caused the maimings of several villagers and scarred Mallo badly has alienated her from her hometown. She still maintains some contact with her parents, but they know that she can never return. She has made many new friends since then, but still misses her home.  (Art from  here ) In game terms, I see Mallo as a Human Variant Sorcerer (Wild Magic) with the Acolyte background and the Magic Initiate feat to pick up some Cleric spells. (If you're okay with it, there's a Background in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide called the Inheritor that I would love to use instead of the Acolyte.)

Edited 1448136586
Hey- I too would be very interested in this group. I'm brand new to D&D, my only experience has been the show, so if you're okay with a noob I'd be excited to joint you guys.  My character is a half elf monk named Jiltana. Her adventurous elven mother and human father left her at the monastery when she was 2, so they could continue roaming. They told the monks that they would come back for her when she was "ready"; that day never came. As she grew older, Jiltana struggled with the harsh struture of the monastery, and feelings of abandonment, although she managed fine with her peers. She increasingly would take to the woods in between training sessions, seeking an internal peace in nature that seemed to continuously elude her. While she studied hard in training, she constantly butted heads with the human leader of the monastery, who saw her as a wild undisciplined spirit. Finally, when she turned 17, the monastery sent her on a journey of self-discovery, as much to get her from causing further headaches to the leadership as to help her develop herself.  She has been on the road ever since, her quiet demeanour earning her allies, and even friends when she relaxes enough to trust them. She hopes to one day find her parents and discover where she fits in this world.  In terms of gameplay details, Jil is a half-elf monk with a combination background of outlander and hermit, and a chaotic good alignment. I haven't decided on which order she'll specialize in when the time is right, I guess I just need to get to know her better :) Please let me know if you'd be interested in having me, or if you need any other details.  Cheers!
Hey Iv been role playing for the past 15 ish years. Mostly as a DM in quite a range of systems. Generally I play support character with a lot of utility outside of combat, then just rely on tactics over stats to win fights (still standing so it seems to work) I have several character concepts.in mind but I tend to flesh characters out in game, like how they would react to being pick pocketed or which side they would support when it comes to a criminal about to be executed etc etc A quick synopsis of a couple of concepts are: Halfling Dragonborn Sorcerer, Cora lived a simple life and was content. Then the stigma emerged, seemingly randomly. Scales, the colour matching that of a Dragon who had plagued her community for generations, all across her body. Shunned by those she called friend and cast out of her home, she set out with three goals inmind. Find the truth of her blood line, free her community from the Tyranical threat and explore more these new found powers. Though her life was turned upside down, Cora keeps a pragmatic view of life and takes every chance to try new things and experience everything life throws at her. Elf Bard of Lore Born to a Noble family of small standings, never the less, Drusila spent her life away from the common folk. Coming of age and completing her formal training in the College of Lore, she set out to discoer all she can about the life blood of the kingdom. Everywhere she goes, she collects folk lore, stories and songs, trys new customs and makes a fool of herself  due to her refined upbringing. None the less she will learn all she can, for knowledge is power after all. Human Wizard Nacromancer Nothing in this world beats the smell of old books, new ink and well oiled tools. What more could a man want  to aid him in his research? And what research could possibly require a more brilliant mind, that delving into the lines that seperate life and death? While others of his trade focus on immortality at any cost and domination of creatures using dark rituals, Blath instead turns the arts to preserving life and easing death. And while he may animate the shells of those that have departed, to aid him in his research, what is the harm? They are but lifeless shells after all, the reminants of those that have departed, no lingering soul or tortured spirit. 
I sent along a PM just to clear something before submitting concepts here, just to be safe -- but I wanted to post anyway, in the meantime. I'm very much interested in this group! I'm pretty experienced with roleplaying , but I'm still a relative newb to D&D.  Most everything I know about 5e has been from Critical Role, which I only started watching recently -- but I fell in love with their immersion-heavy style. It's what pushed me to give D&D a try again for the first time in AGES, and I'm thrilled to see a group that's aiming for that sort of feel. :) I'll edit this post with concepts once I hear back, but regardless of the "audition" outcome, I'm happy to see a game in this style being run.
Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you. We're still putting our group together, and want you to know we're checking out all the submissions. Thanks for replying, these are some really cool characters!

Edited 1448467258
Sindar Amanodel, wild elf druid with the outlander background. His tribe would be from some backwoods (literally) place, with a culture that strongly emphasises patience, neutrality, and isolation – all of which is deeply anathema to Sindar. More than once he has overheard his elders say that there must be some human blood in his line, and more than once he came to blows with those of his own age for similar insinuations. Nevertheless his affinity to the nature spirit ensured that he was among the few in his generation chosen to be inducted into the Circle of the Moon. His instruction was unpleasant for all involved, and when it came time to leave the tribe for a while, to better commune with nature (a ritual that has for generations consisted only in spending a week alone in the woods), he decided to properly honour the ancient forms, see the world, and, perhaps, find a new home amongst a people not quite as lethargic. Edit: I could also see myself playing a human barbarian from 'up north', the classic Germanic/Viking berserker type. Born a generation too late to fight in the war that saw his people's greatest enemy, a tribe of giants, defeated, Godagar set out as soon as he was of age to find giants of his own to slay. He is fanatically devoted to Kord, eager to prove his martial prowess, and determined to win renown or die trying. If, along the way, he should chance to help the helpless and defend the defenceless, well, even more reason for the bards to sing songs about him.
Love Critical Role and very interested in a group! Novice, but I have played some D and D 5e and done some  low level DMing.  Caul, a cleric of the people.  The grim of the city still clings  to him after all these years. The pain of being forced, to leave the poor, destitute orphans of the city haunts him. If only the child hadn't died. He had no way to know that the child was the king's, run away from the palace. To Caul, he was just another urchin in the street, starving, hurt and crying. Looking so alone. Like all the others, Caul took the child into his hospice.The next morning the child was dead and Caul accused of murder. Only the intervention of the High Priest caused the King to spare Caul's life. Saved from death, Caul's penance is to travel the lands helping where he is allowed. But once committed to a group he cannot leave until they allow him, regardless of the virtue of his companions. 

Edited 1456632011
(snip)
Thanks for all the replies. The group is now formed and we will no longer be looking for more critters.
Hope you guys have fun :) To all those who aren't a part of this group, there's clearly an interest, probably enough to put another one together with the same kind of focus. Thoughts? 
I'd be down for that (all depending on the day and time of course)
I'm game as well.

Edited 1448803051
I'm a Critter too :) Depending on time and the day of the game I would be interested in joining too. I can make any character class / race wise the party needs, but I would probably be most happy playing either cleric or warlock. More about me in my profile.
I think that's a great idea you guys! I had a lot more replies than I was expecting, and you certainly have enough people for a separate group.
So I guess the next hurdle would be deciding on a day in which to run the game and see who can make it.
It makes sense to keep the original time, at least for the time being. The bigger hurdle is probably finding a DM.
Hello all, I discovered D&D through Critical Role and would like to play in an actual game. If you guys still need players I would be interested in joining. I've never played before but I've watched many hours of other people playing so I feel I have some grasp of what to do. Cheers.   
I'd prefer to be a player in a game seeing as I run 3 games already and play in zero but as a last resort I could definitely run. Now please don't see this and go "oh, we have a DM". Once again I would rather be a player as I don't actually play in any games just run them.
To those that got in: Good luck, and have fun! :) Also, yeah, I'd definitely be interested in joining a secondary group with the folks that didn't get in. I have no experience with DMing, but I'd be happy to join as a player if we can scrape the group together! Should we make a separate thread, so we aren't hijacking this one?
Or we could just start a group?
To those who are planning another group - I'd be up for joining this, either as player or DM :) Is there another thread for this yet?
I do not believe one has been made yet.
I created a group for us <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/36266/critters-" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/36266/critters-</a>... Since Joe wrote he might DM for us then I suggest moving to the group.
I'd like to be added to the second group if possible, i have a great idea for a bard.
when is the date for the second? have to look if my schedule allow it.
I'd love to join a group as well :3 :D.

Edited 1449325555
The date is not yet set, but currently it looks like it will be Thursday GMT evenings. Strahinja - check your private message ;) Depending on how many Critters will be interested in joining the game - we might have to create yet another group. Of course, the decision in this matter belongs to the DM, but I think the max number of players per game should be 6 to avoid chaos during sessions.
This is super late, but if the second group isn't full yet, I'd love to be added. :) I was one of those applying to the original group, if that helps any.
Doran - check your PM.
I'm forming a new group so that we can split the Eurozone players into group 2 and the remaining USA players into group 3, please send me some sort of message or post here if you are a USA player in group 2 or want to be in Critter group 3. This should free up some space in group 2.

Edited 1449411792
Also there are still spots in the Critters Thursday GMT evening group (aka Team 2) - we could take like 2 more people. "It's Raining Critters"

Edited 1449411679
*waves* me me, me. Europe, but if he time is better for me for the other. i would switch.
Check your PM Lividius :)

Edited 1449437597
If there is still room left in the Europe group I would love play in this kind of campaign, I don't have a fully formed character yet but I'm liking the looks of a Tiefling Wizard / Bladesinger (It's part of the Sword Coasts Adventurer book) or a Human Draconic Bloodline Sorcerous. Both would be some form of Battle Mage, Spell Sword whatever you prefer to call them ^_^
I'm on PST, so put me in Group 3 please.
Hey everyone, I'm apparently already a bit late to the party, so if all spots are taken I totally understand. But I'd be interested in a European timezone game and if there is a free spot I'd thankfully take it. I've never played before, but got really interested by watching Critical Role as well (and even bought myself a player handbook to follow the rules a bit bettter), so this might be a good fit when it comes to playstyle. I've got a character in mind, but I'm pretty open to find a character that "fits" in the group (although I guess a group of 5 bards would also be somewhat "interesting" :D ), so I'm flexibel in that regard.
Kerstin - I sent you a private message.
I derped, sorry! didn't read PS: Hey Calle :D
Hi there friends and critters, I've been looking for a group to play D&D with as well. I'm in the US Central time zone and I just finished school for the semester and found I have a lot of free time and have been really wanting to play a game with people since my other group has been put on hiatus by our DM because life. so if there's any spots left on team 2 or if there's going to be a team 3 I'd love to join. apologies in advance I only read like the first 2 or three posts and then skimmed down to the bottom before posting
Sam -- invite sent

Edited 1449559686
Hey, I'm interested in the NA group. I've skimmed through the thread and am wondering if there is a set day/time (or if it would still be the EU schedule)? Full disclosure, I've just took an interest in D&D due to Critical Role and currently I'm only familiar with 3.5 rules. I definitely put a lot of work into the 3.5 campaign I'm in now though, so you can trust that I'll do my best to learn all I can. I'm also new to roll20 and will need to brush up on its features. I am PST-based with a 9-5 though, which seems to be hard to schedule around (it seems like everyone but me lives on the east coast). If it can work out though, I'm definitely interested.
The NA group is getting ready to split, it'll likely involve Temporal Capacitor and Francois, group 3 has 6 players and a DM at this point, ill recruit you if one of our players drops or can't be ready by this friday, which is when we'll likely start

Edited 1449615900
Group 2 (the Euro group) is currently full. However, that shouldn't stop you gals & guys from creating group 4 (or even group 5). I know some guys here <a href="http://criticalrolesource.tumblr.com/page/2" rel="nofollow">http://criticalrolesource.tumblr.com/page/2</a> were looking for a game too. You might want to contact them. Also something tells me - we won't have to wait long for new people. After all #It'sRainingCritters
I would be interested in another EU group, just thought posting here might be the best way to attract others ;)
Hey critters, are groups still forming? I'd like to see if my gf and I can join. Both fairly new to d&d and this site but critical role has really got us interested. We're in the US CST working m-f and are usually home by 7:30. &nbsp;If there's room anywhere, send me a pm Thanks

Edited 1449728130
Hello all :) &nbsp;If there's room in the US group (i think number 3?) I'd be keen on playing. &nbsp;I have a lot of experience playing tabletop rpgs and LARPS and cannot find enough reliable gaming groups in my area to participate with. &nbsp;I'm queer and that can sometimes throw a group off and if that would be a problem for this group I understand. &nbsp;It may seem odd to bring up but it's worth doing that before I get involved in a game and make people uncomfortable. &nbsp; I don't have a set sort of character that I like to play since I like to make sure the party has balance and that means playing a variety of characters. &nbsp;I normally DM my games however I'd like to play again so I can focus on the development of a single character in an ongoing, progressive heroic narrative. &nbsp;If I may fit the bill, please send me a message. *edit* In terms of character, if the party composition allows it, I'd generally prefer to play a half-elf rogue. &nbsp;I also have an idea for a human druid that I would enjoy playing if the party needs it.
@ Deebs, Rainbow, David, Group 3 has 6 players and a DM. I suggest you form a group between the three of you and add Lindsay and Francois , who are Group 3's odd people out. Best of luck to you forming group 4!
This seems like a nice community and rather active, if there are any spots left in a Euro game or if another is started please let me know.