Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

External Api

Score + 25
Some external access to the API would be nice so that we could integrate existing programs. For example we could more easily modify character editors that parse character rules to cause die rolls instead of replicating their whole functionality in javascript  for the integrated sheets.
User tec goblin pointed out a few additional benefits to me: 1) Use the Compendium for an external app as well. So that we put in 7thSea data in the compendium, users who want a full table-top experience use roll20, but users who just want a quick aid in their phone can use a dedicated app for that. This app could get the compendium data. 2) Right now most of the logic has to be written as scripts just for roll20. It's very hard to reuse those scripts in another application, as they mix presentation and business logic, and as we cannot use our own libraries. I would think of another approach, using an external bot (for an example see that: <a href="https://channel9.msdn.com/events/Build/2016/B821" rel="nofollow">https://channel9.msdn.com/events/Build/2016/B821</a> ) How that works? The chat message is sent to roll20 infrastructure (as now), then you can integrate with one or multiple external services which can provide additional logic (can recognise for example some commands). This external service could have the same logic (rolling dice, handling powers etc) regardless of whether it's integrated to Skype, Slack, roll20 or a custom application. What would be specific for roll20 would be the presentation logic (we would have just to present the appropriate html for a given json response). This would become even more trivial if we had access to some kind of javascript templating library. This would both make roll20 more open, it would make us chose or reuse our own language for logic, but would also help you benefit from developments in other bots (translation, AI, 'fuzzy' commands). Even the standard example in MS bot framework (ordering pizzas from Domino) would be easy to integrate, and some users might actually want to integrate it in their roll20 the possibility to order pizzas ;). I think point two is worth special mention as generalized programming (instead of complicated in-sandbox debugging) would speed up development of applications for the game.
Would like to see this. Most chat apps have a terrible dice roll system. Why not let those systems talk to a Roll20 game via a "Pro" account. I would think this would help spread the adoption of Roll20.
Just the ability to write to the chat from external software would be fantastic.
Ja....Still waiting for a way to get my IBM Watson AI account running D&amp;D Campaigns for me and my buds...

Edited 1662356331
An external API would be great to connect some writing applications. It would be more convenient to write handouts with a markdown tool for example.
Loud vehement agreement and my vote on this idea. A published, and perhaps royalty free API, would be great for third party developers. And it would distinguish Roll20 in a broadening group of competitors, as the open, interoperable VTT.&nbsp; Lyzzy said: Some external access to the API would be nice so that we could integrate existing programs. For example we could more easily modify character editors that parse character rules to cause die rolls instead of replicating their whole functionality in javascript&nbsp; for the integrated sheets.