Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Addressing Some Issues

We had a number of problems last game, so I thought I'd address them here. 1) A lot of you were under the impression that we were playing a text only game.  As I had mentioned in the forums prior to starting game, I have no problem with anyone using audio/video, but that I, as the GM, would prefer that I only use text because it alleviates my social anxiety when I am able to use text to formulate my thoughts. 2) Some of you seemed to have trouble operating the native java interface for roll20, which allows you to integrate voice and video without having to leave the whiteboard environment that roll20 uses.  I generally find the virtual chatroom that roll20 provides to be useful for rolling dice and other scripting services.  3) Many of you seemed unable to find or use the browser based character generator I posted.  (I posted a link upwards of 5 times)  I admit I made a mistake, I had assumed the online character generator was called singularity, but apparently singularity is a separate program.  The browser based program is useful because it has a custom format and can also print pdfs.  It stores these files on the download section of your computer.  I found that though it works with firefox, it runs better with chrome, and internet explorer has some major issues running it. 4) A couple of you had wanted to play the same general character archetype, which would have been fine if we were running with 5 or 6 players, but as it turned out 4 people dropped within the first half hour and the two that remained both wanted to play the same character archetype.  It is difficult to run a setting with 2 people, much less 2 people who essentially made the same class of character.  I went ahead and called it quits at that point cause it looked like we were running out of momentum. 5) I will be here next week for about thirty minutes at 4 PM pacific time on Sunday, and will continue to do so as long as least one person shows up and chooses to hang out for a little while.  I will likely be preoccupied doing other things but you are welcome to chat and recruit new players as you see fit, if you know anyone who would like to join please don't hesitate to invite them.

Edited 1449278631
I appreciate the distinction you are making between you as the GM using text only and a text only game, but I'm afraid for my purposes at least that does amount to a text only game and I will not be able to participate. You should probably change the format on the looking for players listing from video and voice to text only for that reason, even if philosophically you believe you are not running a text only game. I feel like we've wasted each other's time.
In my experience, its best if everyone is using the same medium to talk to everyone. If one person is just using text, and the rest are voiced, then its very easy to run over them, or just not be as aware of them. 
I use text.  If you want to use text, go ahead.  I'm not going to stop anyone from using voice or video, either.