Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New and bewildered

Hey there! So to start off I'm a -huge huge- RPG/tabletop fan, spend a lot of time in my local Games Workshop and the like, but even after a year of looking I just can't find a DnD/DarkHeresy, any kind of group that's looking for anyone. Guess I'm just not good at making friends in real life and all that jazz, heh. Still the issue is I've never actually played anything like this before. I'm familiar to the idea of character sheets and stats as a concept (play 40k and fantasy (yes and age of sigmar)) I just well... have no idea where to start really..  If anyone is willing to take me under their wing for a RP, I'm happy to learn any system! That idea notwithstanding, if anyone has advice on how to make a good Character sheet and a good game to start learning, by all means let me know. I know there's a 'looking for players' section of the website, but the issue is it requires a proper CS sheet to be submitted and it seems not even then that people get accepted? I'm not fussed about being the universes best lvl 20 monk, I just want to have fun with character interaction! Thanks in advance for any advice you guys may have, hope this is the best place to post this!
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Welcome to Roll20 :) To get kicked off right, I'd suggest watching our introductory video series, Introduction to Tabletop RPGs , which covers the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers. Secondly, for the Virtual TableTop itself we have a Tutorial that shows you how to use the various parts of the software.  Additionally, starting your own test game to play with the controls is an excellent way of getting used to the software, and you really can't break anything, I promise! Thirdly, check out the Looking For Group Tool and Looking for Group Forum daily for games that may be of interest to you. Fourth, be sure to completely fill out your User Profile . Your Bio is where you have a chance to catch a GM's eye with a well-written statement about yourself Enjoys Playing is important for two reasons: Every entry you put here is a data-point for The Orr Group Industry Report of games being played, and it lets other people looking at your profile know a bit more about you Actively Seeks Group For is where you can add yourself to the Player Directory for systems you want to play We have a wiki that grows weekly and is very much worth exploring. Feel free to ask any questions you have about Roll20 by posting in the various sub-forums on their particular topics (Don't stress about putting topics in the right sub-forums, we mods really don't mind moving topics when needed!) Happy gaming!
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
Welcome to Roll20 Jon! GenKitty has done an awesome job of providing you with plenty of links to help acclimatise to this place.  The only thing I'd add is that if you go on the Looking for Group Forum or use the tool there are frequently "Newbie" friendly games being run where you can get your first taste of RPing online.  Roll20 has a very large, diverse D&D contingent, Pathfinder community and a sizeable Heresy one too, so I'm confident you'll find groups. Please do stick around and try out a few groups.  Many people report that they have a few "false starts" with groups not quite forming or a mismatch with GM style, but there is a group out there for just about everyone if you keep at it.  Good luck and happy gaming :)
Thanks guys! I'll get right on it then. Thanks again!

Edited 1454990186
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Jon. If you want to dip your toes into a roll20 game, give the  color animal inn game a shot. The GM is seriously funny and you would enjoy it. He is very open to new players to the hobby, the system, and roll20. His games fill fast so you need to apply as soon as you can if the timeslot works for you.
I have been running games here for a little more than two years. I have two D&D 2E games and a SWN game currently. I have had some of the best and some of the worst players through that time. At this moment I have two stable groups and one that is still going through a "funnel" process. The players that have gone through these groups number in the dozens. I have only had to "kick" a handful of players, however, I would urge you to communicate with your GM. Show up on time, let him or her know if you have a problem, don't shout other players down, don't try to run the game if you are a player, resign from the game if you have to leave, rather than just not showing up. Running a game takes a lot of preparation, even if you don't like what the GM is doing, respect that they are working hard to present it to you.
Pat S. said: Jon. If you want to dip your toes into a roll20 game, give the  color animal inn game a shot. The GM is seriously funny and you would enjoy it. He is very open to new players to the hobby, the system, and roll20. His games fill fast so you need to apply as soon as you can if the timeslot works for you. Awww, shucks! Thanks for the plug, Pat S! Unfortunately, as he said, my game fills fast... and this week is full. However, if you'd like to join next week, send me a PM and I'll see about reserving you a spot! -Phnord, the blushing GM
Thanks a lot for all the friendly advice!  I'm super tired right now, but I'll take a look at everything tomorrow and apply to join whatever I can!