Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Help request for sizing a picture within the chat window

Hello all! &nbsp;I use this:&nbsp;[My Alt Text](<a href="http://www.kotll.com/srd3.5/img/MonstersIntro-A.Assassin_Vine.jpg" rel="nofollow">http://www.kotll.com/srd3.5/img/MonstersIntro-A.Assassin_Vine.jpg</a>) &nbsp;command to summon a picture from the internet into the chat window. &nbsp;Its great for adding flare within a spell macro. &nbsp;The problem is that sometimes the picture is too big. &nbsp;Is there a way I can control the size of how it appears in the chat window?
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Not really. I recommend resizing the image using an image editor and uploading it to an image hosting website.
Thanks Silvyre. &nbsp;As I haven't used a hosting websites before, do you have any recommendations or shall I just google one?
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The image will be limited to the width of the chat window, but it will always be as large as it can be. If you chat window is narrow, the image will be smaller. If you've got the full chat log open, the image is pretty much guaranteed to be full-size.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Barry said: Thanks Silvyre. &nbsp;As I haven't used a hosting websites before, do you have any recommendations or shall I just google one? Imgur is a popular (and stable) choice.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Silvyre said: Barry said: Thanks Silvyre. &nbsp;As I haven't used a hosting websites before, do you have any recommendations or shall I just google one? Imgur is a popular (and stable) choice. On the other hand, Imgur's TOS says: Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. If you do – and we will be the judge – or if you do anything illegal, in addition to any other legal rights we may have, we will ban you along with the site you're hotlinking from, delete all your images, report you to the authorities if necessary, and prevent you from viewing any images hosted on Imgur.com. We mean it. I know Imgur has blacklisted eBay, so it's impossible to use it to host images for your product descriptions. Imgur also recently blacklisted FimFiction.net, a My Little Pony fanfiction website, because people would use it to put images in their stories, or comments on stories. They seem to be really slow at enforcing their policy (eg, people using Imgur for eBay auction images for 2+ years before anything happened), but apparently they don't actually like people hotlinking their images, despite the fact that most Imgur users do exactly that with their service and nothing else.

Edited 1454991269
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Brian, would you recommend using github to host images used in character sheets? Maybe just keeping a copy in the sheet's folder perhaps?
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I put a copy of all the images on the sheets I've made in the GitHub repo, but GitHub is not actually designed to be an arbitrary CDN. (In fact, I think if you try to directly link to any GitHub file, it will be served as text/plain, which can screw up a browser's ability to present the file if it's not a text document.) GitHub Pages does allow you to use a GitHub account as a website deployment platform, but that's for your own stuff, not someone else's repo; I guess Riley could set it up but I'm not sure of all the implications that would entail. There are a couple third-party sites designed to act as a proxy for GitHub files so that they get served correctly, but I can't speak to how reliable they are or what pitfalls they may have. I would say it's a good idea to keep a copy of the images you've used with the repo, if nothing else to have a backup. I remember a couple months ago there was a sheet using a background image from some other website which went down or took down the image, and suddenly the character sheet with light text was unreadable, and nobody had a copy of the original background image! If a copy of the image had been in the repo, it could have been quickly uploaded to some other service and had the link in the sheet corrected to the new url. As for what host to actually use for images in character sheets, well... despite what I quoted above, I host the images in my sheets on Imgur. =)
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Couldn't you put them in your image library and use the link from there?
Wes
Sheet Author
I was wondering the same thing Aaron. I tire of seeing the warnings in the console log when I'm working on my character sheet. Perhaps I should try.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
The Aaron said: Couldn't you put them in your image library and use the link from there? Isn't this the method you used for some of your API images (!mark comes to mind)...
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Vince said: The Aaron said: Couldn't you put them in your image library and use the link from there? Isn't this the method you used for some of your API images (!mark comes to mind)... Yes; the API can only use images in a user's image library, but it doesn't have to be the library of the person running the script or even the owner of the campaign the script is running in.