Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

GuloxVrinn, at the Rusty Dragon, 12th of Kathona

Gulo walks towards Vrinn, bowing slightly "Guten Nacht, I have not properly introduced myself to you, I am Gulo, former soldier of the hobgoblin army and Lastwall." he stands at attention, waiting for the elves response.
Looking up from his dinner, Vrinn tilts his head slighty "So ye are. And... What do ye want, Gulo, former soldier of th' hobgoblin army an' Lastwall?"
Gulo is surprised, never before had he met an elf with such...it took him a moment to think of the word "Bravado" came to his mind. He continued his stony expression, double checking his unifrom "I would like to know more about the man I am trusting my life too, Herr Vrinnathollis."
Listening to the hobgoblin with an expressionless face, he slowly chews the chicken leg as Gulo check his uniform. An almost imperceptible shift in Vrinn's posture sees the chicken leg replaced with one of Gulo's pouches. "What's t' know?" he asks, rummaging through the pouch though only finding small round lead pellets "We all keep our secrets..." he begins, tossing the ammo pouch on the table in front of the goblinoid "...An' asides, if ye goin' t' be travellin' with us, keep in mind that ye ain't th' first. Every one else ends up dead or leavin'. Prove that ye'll stick around, and then we can do ye' li'l trust game." Having said is piece, he turns his attention back to his food, though visibly less relaxed now than earlier.
Gulo's eyes narrow, replacing his pouch as venom drips in his voice "I know your type Herr Vrinnathollis, wild and arrogant, you no doubt believe your skills put you above any kind of authority or judgement. Men such as kept alive by their allies and those who think otherwise always get themselves killed in the end. I will be frank elf I do not care about your petty fraternal discourse I care only about what you are like as a combatant." he looks Vriin up and down, noting the gleam of a dagger here and there "If I had to suspect you are close quarters fighter, you prefer to be flanking your enemy, alone if possible, I suspect you are not the type used to prolonged battles, but I could be wrong."
"Right... Th' day ye can tell how a man fights by lookin' at him as he's sittin' down eatin' supper is the day a giant marries a halfling." he says dryly, the expressionless mask over his face cracking slightly with a twitch on the corner of his mouth. "Now as I said, if'n ye wantin' t' be doin' whatever th' fock it is ye're wantin' t' be doin', then ye're th' one that has t' do whatever it is ye're doin' if'n ye're wantin' me t' be doin' whatever ye want me t' be doin'. O' course ye're gonna know about me, we're in th' town I live in, stories are abound. But if'n ye're wantin' me t' be knowin' about ye, then like I said, do whatever it is ye're wanting t' be doin' so's that ye can prove t' me that whatever it is ye're doing is worth me while in notin' that you're important enough t' care about whatever it is ye're doin'." With that, Vrinn stands, his food only half-eaten "Now if ye'll excuse me, some impolite company has made me lose me appetite" he claims as he makes his way to leave
"If you are quite finished making your deceleration then listen well Herr Vrinnathollis, for I do not enjoy repeating myself. Treat me with respect and I will treat you in turn, we are both men of considerable experience in our own rights and have nothing to prove to one another. When you are ready to stop acting like a petulant child and have a discussion of tactics come find me, I will be discussing it with the rest of the party, Guten Nacht Herr Vrinnathollis." and with that Gulo goes back to his stool by Synovia, his hand on his whip in case of retaiation.
Syn, watching the encounter, smirks as Gulo sits back down. "Well, that looks like it went well."
"I must admit he was not what I was expecting, the stand offish nature yes, but elves are more detached in he was, very odd." he sighs, taking out his pipe and taking a long drag, letting the smoke slowly escape his nostrils "It went as well as I could have hoped, all things considered I have learned much, thou I do worry about."
"What is it that worries you?"
"Tell me Synovia, is Herr Vrinnathollis always so rebellious?"
"More so sometimes."
Gulo's voice cold and matter a fact "A man like him cannot take orders or keep to plans that are not his own, such a man is a tolerable liability and at best and at worst will one day get you killed, either by his own hand or by your enemies"
Synovia, thinking back to the "rage pool incedent" does not meet Gulo's gaze as she says "I have had the same feeling a few times myself."
Gulo smashes his fist on the table, his fiery eyes boring into Synovia "A leader meets reality head on, staring at the ground like a punished child, it shows doubt and weakness to all who can see you!" he takes a drag of his pipe once again, never taking his eyes off Synovia "But it is good you recognize the situation with Herr Vrinnathollis, the better question is what to do with such a man."
"There was an incident with Vrinn in which I had to nearly kill him. It is something that, though necessary, I am not proud of, and Gulo, if you speak to me in such a manner again, I will knock you on your ass. "
The ghost of a smile flits on Gulo's lips for an instant "You establish a Status Quo of how I am to act in your presence, threatening me with violence should I act out of line. Very good Synovia, you are learning the skills you will need for the future. As for Herr Vrinnathollis I would not reccomend killing him, he is far too skilled a soldier to lose. Better you explain to him that, as a group, we must work as a single entity body and mind if we are to succeed in our goals, and that his goals can be incorporated into the group's goals. Teach him with violence if need be, and you should have plan of how to kill him, if ever need to."
"Well, to be fair, he was not in control of himself at the time. He stuck his hands into a pool of pure rage after being warned not to and then tried to kill me and left me no choice."
"All the more reason you must be firm with Herr Vrinnathollis, men like him are not trained easily. He is like Roxrez, she too thought she didn't have to listen to others, but I broke of her that and now I, along with Herr Grady, are molding her into an idea guard!"
"For the most part, as long as there is treasurer to be had,  Vrinn is on board. As far as training him to be anything, he needs tohave some modicum of respect for someone other than himself, and he does not. So, I will work with what I have."
Gulo sighs "What I would do to teach Herr Vrinnathollis respect...is not acceptable in human society, but for a less violent method I find humility is the best method, set him up in a situation where he will succeed if he listens, when he does not and he fails he learn the value of listening."