Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

2-13-2016: The Color Animal Inn Welcomes All! (Newbie friendly, Open-door, One-Shot Live Streaming Thing) (Pathfinder system)

So, here's what's the thing, what it is, is: The Color Animal Inn is my attempt to create a 'game' that anyone can join, on a semi-regular basis. The campaign I have set up includes a large number of complicated interactions between character sheets, macros, token actions, and API scripts. This all works together to make a very, very simple interface, suitable for even the newest newbie to use quickly, easily, and intuitively. NO GAMING KNOWLEDGE IS REQUIRED I will be recording these sessions and livestreaming them over YouTube, as a sort of podcast type of thing that I hope will become popular. Each session will be couched in the idea that participants are visiting a bar, where they can meet one another and discuss various topics of interest. The first part of each session will feature my making a link to the game available to the general public, through these forums. Any Roll20 member who wishes to do so may join, until the 'bar' reaches maximum capacity (I'm thinking 6-8 people.) During this period, those present are invited to discuss whatever gaming-related topics they wish. In addition, I will be doing various things to help new players, and sometimes old players. Mostly the topics will be fluid, but sometimes I'll have something special I'll wish to demonstrate. For example, I might show new players how to make their characters, or I might show experienced Roll20 GMs a method I've discovered for creating detailed macros for their game. Whatever people want to chat about, we're gonna chat about. The second part of each session will begin when there are at least 4 participants who want to play, generally one to two hours after the doors open. Using characters they've created during this session, characters they'd like to import into this game, or an ever-growing selection of pregenerated characters, everyone who wishes to will get to play. The participants will then get to do a VERY random, free-form style of role-playing and combat, with exploration, puzzles, traps, monsters, and of course treasure! Using my vast array of random tables, random dungeon generators, random treasure charts, and Roll20s own system, there's no telling what might happen. And since I encourage the participants to make up significant portions of the story, even I won't know what's going to happen! These sessions can end up being anywhere from serious to silly, depending on the moods of the participants, and every group will be different. Sound like fun? Want to be part of this? Great, here's all you have to do! Rule 1: Don't be a jerk. I'm the only jerk allowed in this particular tavern, and I've already tried kicking myself out. Don't make me boot you, too. Rule 2: If you obey Rule 1, I don't need a Rule 2. Gameplay will occur on Roll20, and will be recorded. Voice contact will take place through Skype, or possibly Google Hangouts. You do NOT need to have a microphone, although it is highly recommended. Although you do not need to talk, you DO need to be able to hear the rest of us talking; you're welcome to respond entirely in text, if needed. You are welcome to broadcast video, as long as you don't make me go back and edit anything later! You are NOT required to do so. The entire session will be recorded as well as being broadcast live across YouTube, meaning that anything done within the program needs to meet YouTube's terms of service. Vulgar language is allowed, within reason. Racism, homophobia, hate speech, and anything like that is not, and anyone displaying such actions will be lucky to get a single warning. You can find prevous episodes of The Color Animal Inn here , or by searching for Phnord Prephect on YouTube. Links to the game will be provided openly on the day of the event, shortly before the webcast begins. These links will change on a regular basis to ensure a variety of participants get the chance to be part of the occasion. Those who post in the notification thread (ie: this one) will receive their invitations approximately one hour earlier, thus giving them priority and some time to discuss their needs with me, the GM. The next event is scheduled for: Saturday, February 13, 2016, at approximately 4pm Central. Those with VIP invitations will receive their backstage passes approximately one hour earlier. *GAME LINK WILL BE POSTED HERE WHEN THE INN OPENS* (and it will be erased when it ends) -Phnord
Well aren't you posting a little early. IF you're perfectly fine with having me for a third game in a row, I'd LOVE to join for this coming game.
You can count me in.
I'm down for another game. :D
qwerty4132 said: Well aren't you posting a little early.  Why, yes. Yes I am. I post at irregular and unpredictable times to ensure a healthy chance for anyone to join. qwerty4132 said:  IF you're perfectly fine with having me for a third game in a row, I'd LOVE to join for this coming game. I am indeed fine with that. The Color Animal Inn operates on a first-come, first-served basis. Sort of. To an absolute maximum of eight. Current VIP List: qwerty4132 (returning) Brandon L (returning) Matt / Nani (returning) -Phnord (GMing)
Count me in again
I'm new to D&D but I have role played before just fine. I may also stream this on twitch if that would be fine. Regardless, if I would be accepted lemme know. I'm unsure what character I'm gonna use tho. I'll figure that out b4 the game
I'd like in as well, time for Xander to practice his scythe skills 
Sounds like a blast, I'd like to join as well.
Tsu wants to play too... Never played this kind of games before, but always wanted to.. Tsu promises to be nice!!
NOTICE: THE SIGN UP SHEET IS FULL! Current VIP List: qwerty4132 (returning) Brandon L (returning) Matt / Nani (returning) David (returning) Passafist (NEW) Nick P (returning) Diana  E (NEW) Tsubaki N (NEW) Note for new players: there are several pre-generated characters you may use. This is the quickest and easiest way for new players to get into the game. If you'd rather make your own character, here are some guidelines: Use ONLY the rules found on this page: The Pathfinder Reference Document . There is a secondary source of information, which contains a lot of other good stuff, but also some 3rd party stuff mixed in (which I do not allow.) If the linked page has a direct link to something, I pretty much allow it. Two exceptions: I do not like gunslingers or alchemists in my games, for reasons. I also reserve the right to veto anything else I don't like. This doesn't happen very often. For stats, you can use the 25-point buy method, or use the in-game dieroller (4d6, drop lowest, assign as desired). If the latter, wait to do so until game time. Characters are now being played at level 3, with advancement whenever I decide it's time. Since the players just got L3 (game-before-)last game, it may be a while before they see L4. Obviously, you may mix and match levels if you desire (ie: 1 level of fighter, 2 levels of rogue, or whatever.) You will get one melee weapon, one ranged weapon, and one set of armor 'free', and of the three, one may be masterwork quality. You will get 3,000 gold in addition, to purchase other adventuring gear (torches, rope, potions, etc.) You will also pick two  Traits  to help flesh your character out. If you are new to gaming, there will be plenty of time to do all this on the day of, with myself and the other players there to help. The in-game character sheets and macros take care of all the hard work, once they are properly filled out with relevant information. -Phnord
Man this filled up fast! I hope that the newcomers will enjoy the weird and awesomeness that is the Color Animal Inn. 
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I've been warning people that this game fills fast when I point them to the game.
@Pat S. Well stop pointing them to the game then!
Of course, turns out I could have played. Wah. 
Ryldor said: Of course, turns out I could have played. Wah.  Three hour warning... we'll see who shows up and who doesn't
Pat S. said: I've been warning people that this game fills fast when I point them to the game. John M. said: @Pat S. Well stop pointing them to the game then! @Pat S: Never stop doing that! Free publicity, I'll take all I can get!
I'm definitely showing up.
I'll also definitely be there.
VIP Passes are going out now. See y'all there! -Phnord