Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[5e shaped] Can't Roll initiative

When my group tried to roll Initiativ they got "You attempted to use a roll command looking for the value of a selected token, but no tokens are selected." Or nothing happens at all.. And then I went into another Group I have.. and there was no issue rolling initiativ.. and the setup was the same. Anyone got any ideas what could be wrong?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Is the initiative setup to be a token macro? This one from a game I'm setting up: /w gm Initiative [[1d6 + @{selected|DEXbonus} [DEXbonus] &{tracker}]] The {selected|DEXbonus} requires the player to have clicked on the token. What does your problem macro look like?
The setup I've used on both groups (5e by the way) was adding a token to a character sheet.. and then have them pressing the token, going into the character sheet and press on roll initiative.. When I used "/w gm Initiative [[1d6 + @{selected|DEXbonus} [DEXbonus] &{tracker}]]" while having a token clicked it gives the error message : "No attribute was found for @{selected|DEXbonus}"  Got no clue why it works on one group and not the other
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Jarek Grimlock said: When I used "/w gm Initiative [[1d6 + @{selected|DEXbonus} [DEXbonus] &{tracker}]]" while having a token clicked it gives the error message : "No attribute was found for @{selected|DEXbonus}"  That macro I showed is setup specifically for my sheet which is probably not the one you are using as I have customized mine and it is not a 5e sheet. Can you post your macro that is on your sheet or is it built into it? If it is built into it, you should be able to click the button to get the error then press the arrow key up to have the macro show in the chat box where you can copy it then paste it here. Jarek Grimlock said: When my group tried to roll Initiativ they got " You attempted to use a roll command looking for the value of a selected token, but no tokens are selected. " This indicates for some reason, no token was selected for the roll but you stated Jarek Grimlock said: The setup I've used on both groups (5e by the way) was adding a token to a character sheet.. and then have them pressing the token, going into the character sheet and press on roll initiative.. Which has me puzzled. Let's walk through some of the setup. Selected your token and edited it to have it  represent character (your sheet) along with any other stuff you wanted the token to have then saved it. Now you open your sheet into edit mode and save the selected token as  default . With that setup there should not be any problems with the proper macro. Which 5e sheet are you trying to use?
Pat S. said: Can you post your macro that is on your sheet or is it built into it? If it is built into it, you should be able to click the button to get the error then press the arrow key up to have the macro show in the chat box where you can copy it then paste it here. Jarek Grimlock said: The setup I've used on both groups (5e by the way) was adding a token to a character sheet.. and then have them pressing the token, going into the character sheet and press on roll initiative.. Which has me puzzled. Let's walk through some of the setup. Selected your token and edited it to have it  represent character (your sheet) along with any other stuff you wanted the token to have then saved it. Now you open your sheet into edit mode and save the selected token as  default . With that setup there should not be any problems with the proper macro. Which 5e sheet are you trying to use? I use 5th Edition (Shaped).. And I used exactly as you said just now, but no roll... and now I don't even get any error message.. And when I check with a roll here is what I get from pressing up arrow.. "Rolling d20+(3+2+0)+(0)+0 =(12)+(3+2+0)+(0)+0" This is from a Ranger with 3 in dex modifier and a ring that gives her +2 in initiative Got no clue how to get the specific variables but those are the values... And that is from the group that works
I got it working by going to Settings in the Character Sheet itself... and there I found : "Initiative Roll adds the selected token to the tracker (Remove for tablets) " with the choices "Send to Tracker" or "Don't" In the group where it works they are still on "Send to tracker" but as soon as I put the group that it doesn't work on to "Don't" that group also works
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Strange. I'm going to move this over to the sheet forum so that the author of the sheet can take a peek. I will be editing the thread title also.
A while ago, someone had a very similar issue. Ultimately to fix it, he had to switch sheets.  Like went from the 5e -> shaped to fix it.  Made no sense. Have your GM make a copy of the campaign (copy over everything); change the character sheet to the other one.  then change back. MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS IN A COPY, high chance it wont work, but it might.
I've had the same thing happen recently. Not a big deal as i usually just put in an Initiative Macro of my own, or else use an API. But the players were distressed enough about it that we had to stop for a while and try to figure it out.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
This has been working for months if not years with nothing changing so I'm unsure what would cause these issues. You must have a token selected for it to roll. Otherwise you can use the settings page to turn that off.