Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Blacklist Games

The filter system is certainly useful, but it's by no means perfect. Even with everything filtered correctly, there are still games that squeeze through the cracks of the search filter and keep showing up. I still see loads of "Looking for plays and a DM", games that are text only, games where the max players is 500 or just games that I know I don't want to play. I would LOVE the ability to add specific games to a blacklist so they they don't show up in the search results, it would make finding games much easier and reduce the clutter I'm getting while I search.
I think that adding specific games to a blocklist would have very short-lived benefits if any. Perhaps a better option would be to add players to a blacklist preventing their games from showing up in the looking for game list.
Robert said: I think that adding specific games to a blocklist would have very short-lived benefits if any. Perhaps a better option would be to add players to a blacklist preventing their games from showing up in the looking for game list. I think you're misinterpretation my reasoning for wanting to add games to a blacklist. It's not because of any specific person involved in the game that I want to avoid, it's because I want the ability to cultivate my search results better. Games that are Looking for GM, games with over 7 players (including the GM), game description pages that are just the name of the system with description text like "We'll decide what we're playing once we have players, but who knows?! Adventure awaits!", these are games that I would like to be able to just hide forever from my search results. Yes, I know that even if I could hide them, more would just pop up and it would be a never ending battle. That's why I'd also like a more robust search filter system that let's me exclude games that are looking for GMs, have a setting that's like "only show games with max players of X amount". change the audio/visual from a dropdown menu to check boxes, give an alternative to the "starting at approximately" text box that just let's me pick between two ranges, rather than just a single time +/- 3 hours. Currently whenever I search for games, I always get about 2-4 pages of results, with maybe 5 games that actually fit the criteria I'm looking for. I would like to not manually filter all those results everytime I want to play and I think the ideas I've listed above would go a long way towards that.
Perhaps there should be a time limit for how long a game can remain listed until it needs to be renewed. Perhaps a time limit of one week before it has to be renewed is a good standard. This will remove games that are left open and are also full and not accepting players. There's there's also another similar conversation on this thread.&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4606956/slug%7D" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4606956/slug%7D</a>
Robert said: Perhaps there should be a time limit for how long a game can remain listed until it needs to be renewed. Perhaps a time limit of one week before it has to be renewed is a good standard. This will remove games that are left open and are also full and not accepting players. There's there's also another similar conversation on this thread.&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4606956/slug%7D" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4606956/slug%7D</a> I think you're still missing my point. I'm not hoping I can get listings to disappear quicker, I'm hoping I can enable setting to never have to see them in the first place. While the game that's always listed because it always has an open slot is annoying, it's usually just that one single game, so it's not a huge priority. But the "Looking for DM" games, the "We need 16 players" games, the "I have no idea what I'm doing" games, those are numerous, and the first 2 could be hidden with simple filters, the last one would require a blacklist because it's subjective. For instance, if I go to look for D&D 5e games right now, there are 18 pages. If apply the current filters that I want, that brings it down to 3, but just looking at them I can see that a lot of them are garbage listings that I wouldn't want to play in. If I had the filters I listed above, I could probably get down to less than a page and not have to sort through all of this just to find a game.
Okay. I understand you. I was added my own advice however I did not respond to your post fully. Roll20 would benefit from having a filter to remove games that are over 6 players for sure and especially games that are over 20 or more, I've seen games that request upwards of 60 players, it's a big problem. There there aren't very many text only games that's through the cracks. There aren't very many games that are asking for GM's. So I think these last two problems aren't big enough to worry about.

Edited 1518487412
So remember I said that after applying my filters I have the number of pages down to 3? Well I just looked through those 3 pages, and 10 of the game listings are ones that are looking for a DMs (and that's just the voice only games, if I include Video and Text games in that, it's actually 13). There are also 7 text only games that aren't listed there because I have it set to voice only, but that also means I miss the 15 games that are listed as Voice & Video that I don't see because I can't set it to only ignore text only games.
Would you add a vote and idea to this thread?&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4606956/slug%7D" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4606956/slug%7D</a> Maybe we can vote for a positive change.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .