Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Update 3/8: Reorder Repeating Section Rows, Overhauled F/X Tool, bug fixes and more!

Edited 1457535282
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
We're pleased to release a new update to Main today. Without further ado, here's the highlights: Improved F/X Tool We've been hard at work on re-working the F/X Tool. This is something that we created back in the day as a "cool experiment," and until now we haven't had a chance to really get it to the point that it was super-useful. But today that changes! In today's update, you'll find a plethora of additional F/X options that you can use, including multiple color schemes for some. In addition, some of the F/X (such as, for example, Beam), now allow you to click-and-drag to determine the direction that the effect will travel -- perfect for firing a magical spell! You can also now add your own custom effects, and share the code that powers those effects with other users. For more information on the new features, read our updated Wiki page:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Custom_FX" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Custom_FX</a> Finally, we've added more robust support for the F/X Tool to the macro system, including support for custom FX by name. Custom FX names cannot have spaces or "-" characters in them. /fx &lt;type-color&gt; &lt;target.id&gt; &lt;destination.id&gt; The id's can be set manually if you know them, but more likely you'll want to dynamically select them with @{selected|token_id} or @{target|token_id} /fx beam-acid @{selected|token_id} @{target|token_id} If a destination isn't set but one is required for an aimed effect, the agency overlay will appear allowing you to aim the effect. If no target is set, the fx will assume the selected token is the target. If no token is selected it will throw an error. (Note that the F/X Tool is a feature that is only available to Pro users.) Re-Order Repeating Section Rows Now when you click the Modify button on a repeating section, you'll find that in addition to the already-existing trash can icon for deleting a row, there is a handy move icon on the left-hand side. You can click and drag on this move icon to move the rows in the repeating section around as you wish. This is made possible by the changes we've made in the past couple of months where we switched to repeating rows having a randomly-assigned, unique ID. So now even if you re-order the rows your existing macros, buttons that you have dragged onto your quick bar, etc. will continue to function. Note that nth-based macros (such as "repeating_spells_$0" for the "first row") will work with this as well -- so if you move a new row to the first position, it will now be the $0th row, etc. API Support for F/X Tool There's now support in the API for the F/X Tool, via two new functions: spawnFx(x, y, type, pageid): Spawns a brief effect at the location at x,y of type. If you omit the pageid or pass 'undefined', then the page the players are currently on ('playerpageid' in the Campaign object) will be used by default. Type should be a string and be one of the following: beam-color bomb-color breath-color bubbling-color burn-color burst-color explode-color glow-color missile-color nova-color splatter-color Where "color" in the above ones that contain that word is one of: acid blood charm death fire frost holy magic slime smoke water spawnFxBetweenPoints(point1, point2, type, pageid): Works the same as spawnFx, but instead of a single point you pass in two points, in the format {x: 100, y: 100}. For example: spawnFXBetweenPoints({x: 100, y: 100}, {x: 400, y: 400}, "burn-acid"); The effect will "travel" between the two points for effects that support that (the same ones that allow agency on the client side). Note that you can also use the above "type" names with the "/fx &lt;effectname&gt;" macro command. API Support for GM Page There is a new property in the API for the Player object called "_lastpage". This read-only property contains the current page that a player last viewed as a GM. So basically, you can access this property to know what page a GM is looking at currently. Note that if the GM has joined the game as a player, this property may be "out of date" since the page a player is viewing is set by either "playerpageid" on the Campaign object or "playerspecificpages" on the Campaign object (depending on what the GM has chosen to do in-game). Repeating Section Events and Attribute Sheetworkers can now listen for a change event of a special attribute that is modified whenever a repeating section is re-ordered. on("change:_reporder_repeating_&lt;sectionname&gt;"); You can also request the "_reporder_repeating_sectionname" attribute with getAttrs() to get a list of all the IDs in the section that have been ordered. However note that this may not include the full listing of all IDs in a section. Any IDs not in the list that are in the section are assumed to come after the ordered IDs in lexographic order. The API can also access this attribute using findObjs({_type: "attribute", name: "_reporder_repeating_&lt;sectionname&gt;"}); Bug Fixes and Miscellaneous You can now use gradients in the CSS for the background-image property when using /direct commands via the API. You can also now make use of the background-size property as well. Fixed a bug (hopefully) which would sometimes cause the Jukebox to stop playing tracks for some players when there are more than 4 players in a game and you are using a Jukebox Playlist. When you re-join the game as a GM, we will now attempt to put you back on the last page you were viewing as the GM, rather than the page the players are on.
Jefe
Pro
Compendium Curator
Awesome
nice. is it possible as well to make something permanent or with a timestamp lets say 5mins or so?
Gold
Forum Champion
Thanks for the update on the updates. The special effects looks fun to play with.
The custom fx for explosion says to use explosion-color but this does not work, rather the correct method (at the moment at least) is explode-color
Oz said: The custom fx for explosion says to use explosion-color but this does not work, rather the correct method (at the moment at least) is explode-color Fixed, thanks!

Edited 1457542047
Coal Powered Puppet
Pro
Sheet Author
For those interested, aftr playing around with the fx stuff, adding them to a button is easy. &nbsp;Adding them to a template requires /fx beam-acid @{selected|token_id} @{target|token_id} to be placed in front of the calls for the &nbsp;template. &nbsp;For example: &lt;button type='roll' name="roll_spell_attack" /fx @{fx_type}-@{fx_color} @{selected|token_id} @{target|token_id} &{template:spell} &nbsp;{{character= @{character_name} }} {{spell= @{spell_name} }}...' Works pretty good. &nbsp;Still tinkering. &nbsp;Working on putting the splatter-blood into the targetted token attacks&nbsp; And my players will love the reordering of the repeatable sections. &nbsp; ...and now its not working. &nbsp;So, nevermind.
Related to the F/X bit: how would I go about telling the button to use the token attached to the character without selecting it or targeting it? &nbsp;Say, a fireball centered on the casting token?
Don't believe you can get a token_id from a macro without actually selecting or targeting th token. As for adding the /fx command to the button rolls, you need to add an escaped carriage return to the macro. \n maybe? I'm not sure. A little googling might help.

Edited 1457544846
Coal Powered Puppet said: Related to the F/X bit: how would I go about telling the button to use the token attached to the character without selecting it or targeting it? &nbsp;Say, a fireball centered on the casting token? Not that I am aware from the testing I have done. Since it needs at least a source id to trigger, without an script I don't know of a way get the ID as multiple tokens could represent the same token. For people using the fx command, here are some things from my test. A quick test all FX macro /fx ?{Type|Beam,beam|Bomb,bomb|Breath,breath|Bubbling,bubbling|Burn,burn|Burst,burst|Explosion,explode|Glow,glow|Missile,missile|Nova,nova|Spatter,splatter}-?{Color|Acid,acid|Blood,blood|Charm,charm|Death,death|Fire,fire|Frost,frost|Holy,holy|Magic,magic|Slime,slime|Smoke,smoke|Water,water} @{target|Source|token_id} @{target|Destination|token_id} A quick blood splatter macro /fx splatter-blood @{target|token_id} @{selected|token_id} Note: Once the targeting issue is fixed, you can use /fx splatter-blood @{target|token_id} To set the direction every time, the first one always splatters towards the attacker. When adding to macros - Make sure the call is either at the beginning or at the end with a new line/ For example, using the 5th community sheet, %{selected|MeleeAttack1} /fx splatter-blood @{target|token_id} @{selected|token_id} Will note work, however %{selected|MeleeAttack1} /fx splatter-blood @{target|token_id} @{selected|token_id} does work, so put the fx at the end of the macro on a new line or start.
HoneyBadger said: Don't believe you can get a token_id from a macro without actually selecting or targeting th token. As for adding the /fx command to the button rolls, you need to add an escaped carriage return to the macro. \n maybe? I'm not sure. A little googling might help. HoneyBadger:&nbsp; Tired the "/n" and "\n" things. &nbsp;No joy for me, but that might just mean I was using them wrong. &nbsp;Cool new (to me) avatar image! Oz: I will try this out after a bit. &nbsp;Thanks for the input. &nbsp;It was weird because it worked some of the time, but not others. &nbsp;Sometimes the template would fire, sometimes just the fx, and rarely, both. &nbsp; Also, you can have the selected token be the target as well (everyone likely knows this, but I discovered it so I am basking in my intellect) by using: /fx type-color @{selected|token_id} @{selected|token_id} This also works for using the @{taget|token_id}&nbsp;@{taget|token_id}. &nbsp;This helps with explosions and other fx's that don't use direction and range.
Oz: I will try this out after a bit. &nbsp;Thanks for the input. &nbsp;It was weird because it worked some of the time, but not others. &nbsp;Sometimes the template would fire, sometimes just the fx, and rarely, both. &nbsp; Also, you can have the selected token be the target as well (everyone likely knows this, but I discovered it so I am basking in my intellect) by using: /fx type-color @{selected|token_id} @{selected|token_id} This also works for using the @{taget|token_id}&nbsp;@{taget|token_id}. &nbsp;This helps with explosions and other fx's that don't use direction and range. I had it work at the start but it may be best to always include it at the bottom on a new line to see if that always works, worth test at least. As for using one selected token for both or one target for both, you don't need to even input a second id in the macro. You can just use something like /fx type-color @{selected|token_id} For non targeting ones. If used on a targeting FX, you get the line draw aiming overlay but it&nbsp; doesn't work atm.
Wes
Sheet Author
@CPP&nbsp; The newline escape that I have used in button values built into a sheet is: &lt;button type="roll" value="&{template:myTemplate}{{ foo }}\\n@{fx_command}" /&gt; Where fx_command is a attribute that you save in the attributes of your character journal or define in your sheet html.
Adding the //n and fx after the template did not work, buuuuuut...adding the fx and then the template works great. &nbsp;Thanks!
Cool stuff, I use the macros but they always show the beam from left to right. How do you change that?&nbsp;
robert c. said: Cool stuff, I use the macros but they always show the beam from left to right. How do you change that?&nbsp; It should only do that if you are using the same token for both target and destination. Try /fx beam-fire @{selected|token_id} @{target|token_id} For going from a selected token to a targeted token, or /fx beam-fire @{target|Source|token_id} @{target|Destination|token_id} for a beam between two targeted tokens.
Is the /fx function available to PRO subscription players or only GM's? If the Pro subscription GM hosts a game, do the players gain access?
Mark G. said: Is the /fx function available to PRO subscription players or only GM's? If the Pro subscription GM hosts a game, do the players gain access? Yes the whole F/X Tool system (including the macro command) is currently only available to Pro users.&nbsp; If a Pro subscription GM creates the game then everyone in the game has access to it.

Edited 1457754997
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm getting some weirdness with using the overlay to aim the fx using the chat command. As illustrated below, I've selected a token as my source, then entered the command "/fx breath-death", but the vector for aiming the effect is coming from somewhere that is not the source token. It does aim the effect in the correct direction of the vector from the selected token though. Also, using it normally through the fx tool or from macros works fine. Can't wait to play around with this in the API. :)
Stephen L. said: I'm getting some weirdness with using the overlay to aim the fx using the chat command. As illustrated below, I've selected a token as my source, then entered the command "/fx breath-death", but the vector for aiming the effect is coming from somewhere that is not the source token. It does aim the effect in the correct direction of the vector from the selected token though. Also, using it normally through the fx tool or from macros works fine. Can't wait to play around with this in the API. :) I have reported this in the bug forums and they said they were looking into it.&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3079307/new-fx-m" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3079307/new-fx-m</a>... It is realted to token/screen postion that offsets the start point of the line tool. Use the fx tool or use another token as the target for the macro to get a proper direction currently.
Is it possible to make the effects last longer? For instance,if I wanted to create a bubbling pool of acid that continued to bubble? Or would I just need the command to be repeated on loop?
Custom FX? Can it be used for other effects or is there a way to see the varying ways to use it?&nbsp;

Edited 1457890532
Saevar L. "Liquid-Sonic" said: Custom FX? Can it be used for other effects or is there a way to see the varying ways to use it?&nbsp; Macro Format: /fx effect-color&nbsp; &lt;sourceTokenID&gt;&nbsp; &lt;destinationTokenID&gt; NOTE: Not all effects require ( or even work with ) both a source and destination.&nbsp; Some just use Destination ID's ex:&nbsp; /fx beam-acid @{selected|token_id} @{target|token_id}&nbsp; will create and acid-colored beam effect from the selected token towards then target token. Effect Color beam bomb breath bubbling burn burst explode glow missile nova splatter acid blood charm death fire frost holy magic slime smoke water &nbsp; These are the prebuilt options provided for all PRO subscribers be they player or GM.&nbsp; PRO GM's can create their own custom effects with the GM Effects tool by modifying the parameters of one of the existing effects. API writers as well can tweak the parameters of the effects as well

Edited 1457967379
That all being said; I would absolutely LOVE it, if there was an effect to animate an arrow.&nbsp; Some kind of simple 2px wide trajectory to show the path of a projectile. (crappy MS Paint example - Click it) I spun it to show an arc, but a straight light would actually also be super useful for determining Cover in many systems.

Edited 1458200704
Sam
Plus
How can you have 2 or more Destination targets? Different examples would be: shooting 2 beams from selected token (origin/you) to target tokens... also Multiple tokens that are target by explosions. Edit: I figured it out- /fx burn-smoke @{target|Target1|token_id} @{target|Me|token_id} /fx burn-smoke @{target|Target2|token_id} @{target|Me|token_id} /fx burn-smoke @{target|Target3|token_id} @{target|Me|token_id} /fx burn-smoke @{target|Target4|token_id} @{target|Me|token_id}
This is AMAZING. I love it!!
I'm a new Pro subscriber. I have the FX Tool in the toolbar but can't get any effects regardless of whether I have tokens selected or not. Is this related to my inability to run WebGL on my system according to Chrome's info?
Dokroth (R. Perry) said: I'm a new Pro subscriber. I have the FX Tool in the toolbar but can't get any effects regardless of whether I have tokens selected or not. Is this related to my inability to run WebGL on my system according to Chrome's info? Yes I think so, it does rely on WebGL to do the effects. Why does your browser not support WebGL? If you paste your system info here I'll take a look.
Riley D., thanks for the quick reply.&nbsp; I just installed Firefox, enabled it's WebGL (before enabling, NO, it would not work on Firefox), and everything works fine. Although I've went through various attempts to enable WebGL on Google Chrome I still have no luck. Therefore, I'll just use Firefox for Roll20 from now on.
Just saying here that I've recently started to toy around with the new special effects and that they are awesome, but I was really hoping for an lightning / electric effect. Any chance of adding that any soon? Thanks :D
Silvyre
Forum Champion
JVMMs , you could try your hand at creating such an effect using the Custom FX Tool .