Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

The One Ring - Of Hobbits and Dark Woods - Introduction

I have a love for this new game, The One Ring, except for the dicing mechanics -but, I'll get to that, later-, and I have been trying to find a tabletop or Play-by-Forum group since I first started collecting the game more than a year ago.&nbsp; I now have every book in my collection, and have pre-ordered Riders of Rohan, and will pick up the Adventurer's Companion as soon as I am able, and I have read them all.&nbsp; Anyway, if you're reading this, whether you're a fan of Tolkien or not, whether you know The One Ring or not, I invite you to shoot a character concept to me at <a href="mailto:fieranor_lm@gmail.com" rel="nofollow">fieranor_lm@gmail.com</a> and let's see about getting a game, together.&nbsp; If you don't have a character, take a look at Signal Fires in this forum area; this was a game I was to run in November of 2015 for Aethercon IV, but only one player signed up, and he's still waiting for a good game of The One Ring.&nbsp; So, those characters are up for your use; simply tell me if there is one you would like to play among the group, and we'll try to set you up. Now, as for changes in the game... not many.&nbsp; First, the Moderate Target Number in the natural game is 14; however, since that has to be rolled on one twelve-sided die, and the only way to achieve that Moderate TN is by rolling 12, which is ludicrous in my opinion, I have changed the Moderate TN to 10, and I allow all characters to pick up all but a few skills for which they might have training in their culture.&nbsp; The change is this... if you don't pick up the skill through character generation, but it's trained for your culture, you get to roll the Feat Die (1D12) plus one Success Die (1D6), though the 6 on the Success Die only represents a 6 in this case, not a Tengwar Rune.&nbsp; Those who are trained, with at least one Rank in a skill, treat the Success Die as normal.&nbsp; I also do not limit players to gaining up to three Advancement Points per skill class per session; you will earn AP and XP based on your success rolls and the drama taking place in the game.&nbsp; There may be more changes down the road, but these are the most important. What I would like to do is have a bi-weekly play schedule; because of the un-predictable nature of when I will be teaching classes, for my job, the only predictable night I have is Saturday.&nbsp; My intent is to begin on Saturday the 14th of May, 2016, at 6:30pm Pacific Standard Time.&nbsp; We can talk about all manner of subjects at that time, such as the best play time to play for all of us, collectively, whether we should run two, three, or four days per month, etc., once we're rolling.
I have posted basic character generation for the game, by culture.&nbsp; In The One Ring, character generation is done by selecting the culture you wish to be a part of, then selecting a Background and a Calling for that character and, finally, recording every statistic, characteristic, skill and trait as required in the construction instructions.&nbsp; Please ensure you read each paragraph, in order and completely before making any choices. For every weapon skill you gain, your character may possess one of those weapons or not, as you see fit; for Daggers, if you're carrying one, it's 0 Encumbrance, but two would cost you 1, and another two would cost an additional full point of Encumbrance.&nbsp; There are no half-points. You may select one set of armor, one helm, and one shield, as you see fit.&nbsp; Remember, however, that your Encumbrance directly affects your character's available Endurance (in this game, that is basically Hit Points), so carrying too much stuff may see you short of points to resist the effects of combat, of blighted areas, and of the world in general. Following are the various cultures available to begin with in my game; as you traverse the world other cultures will become available to you, such as the Dunadan Ranger, High Elves of Rivendell, Dunlendings, and Rohirrim.&nbsp; Please feel free to right-click and save as... one or more of the following links, select your Culture, Calling, Background, skills, traits, Favored Attributes, etc., write your choices into an email to me at <a href="mailto:fieranor_lm@gmail.com" rel="nofollow">fieranor_lm@gmail.com</a> , and I'll make and upload your character sheet; I do not know how to edit sheets for the one change I have made, so I will upload my home-brew character sheet.&nbsp; These are all in PDF format, meaning you would need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader, a free program, from adobe.com.&nbsp; If you do not wish to use PDF format files, please email me at the address, above, and I can either email or upload and send a link back so you can have the Word document, instead; note, the Word doc is quite large for all of these, over ten megabytes each. Bardings of the Dale-lands - The people of King Bard of Dale and the lands between Esgaroth and Dorwinion. Beornings - The people of Beorn the Skin-changer of the middle Anduin Vales. Dwarves of Erebor - The people of Dain Ironfoot, King Under the Mountain. Elves of Mirkwood - The Sylan folk of the High Elf-king Thranduil of the wood formerly known as Greenwood the Great, now called Mirkwood. Hobbits of the Anduin Vales - The Wild Half-folk of Gladden Fields and the southern Anduin Vales. Hobbits of the Shire - The kind hearted gentle folk from west of the Misty Mountains. Men of the Lake - Those who live on the large wood-city of Esgaroth, where much of the commerce for this region flows, as do the adventurers. Woodmen of Mountain Hall - The hardy folk of Hartfast, son of Hartmut, of the fortress city of Firienseld at the foot of the Misty Mountains. Woodmen of Wilderland - The direct kin of those in Mountain Hall, under the protection of Radagast the Brown, in middle and southern Mirkwood. Weapons and Armor list. In the next post, I will begin placing the various Virtues and Rewards available for you to choose from when you select which is going to be rated at two, Wisdom or Valor, and which at one.
Once you and I have completed your character, and s/he is uploaded, I would ask you to read the starting paragraphs, in the Introductory Description of this game, and then write an introduction for your character into the tavern, for which I will start a new thread, here, and everyone can read, but that you will also present as we begin the game.&nbsp; The introduction should include eye, hair, and skin color, if visible, any tattoo's, scars, or markings on the character's face or hands -anything visible-, the manner in which they are dressed, how they stand, what level of confidence they portray, real or for the benefit of others, etc.&nbsp; You are not required to read it word-for-word and, in fact, you might just have a list of bullet points, or whatever manner in which you keep/take notes and/or write, and all I ask is a verbal presentation, whether you read aloud or go a step further.&nbsp; You are also not required to give your character's name up-front, though you are welcome to, if you prefer; eventually, it WILL be known, but the manner in which you introduce your character to the others is up to you. When you post the description of your character, also post some background, if you will, how your character grew up, are their parents alive or dead and why, what do they do if they're not dead, does your character have siblings, how close are you, are they dead, what do they do if they're not, what made you become an adventurer, or were you just looking for work and this seemed like a decent gig, etc.&nbsp; You are not required to post any background that could be used as meta-knowledge against your character, or yourself.&nbsp; Though I welcome drama, I'm also truly hoping for some comedic effects, as well, please?&nbsp; Some things others in your group are going to find out quickly, while other things will color only your role-playing abilities and actions for your character; so, use some discretion, but liven it up if you're able. I don't like players who use their characters to batter or bully other characters; you are playing in a cooperative game that is supposed to be a positive experience for all.&nbsp; Please leave the drama, the cyberpunk-ish bravado, and your anger behind you when you come to play this game.&nbsp; I haven't played a truly cooperative, non-anger-based-competitive game in so long, I've sort of forgotten what it's like.&nbsp; I won't penalize you if you play a bully or some manner of jackass, otherwise, unless the actions you take or the words you speak would naturally impose that penalty on you, such as angering a crowd in a town-hall by taunting them all to angry action; then, you better look out.
REWARDS FOR THE ONE RING -==REWARDS==- Rewards (aka Qualities) are based on the Valor of your character and are, generally, some manner of physical reward.&nbsp; You may have a total of six (6) ranks in Valor, but may only begin to gain Rewards at second rank.&nbsp; The rules for each of the Rewards, general and cultural, are listed below... GENERAL QUALITIES These can be acquired by anyone in the game... (Wild Hobbit Qualities) Cunning Make (armor, helmet, or shield) : This piece of equipment is lighter and less cumbersome. Reduce the Encumbrance of the item by 2, to a maximum of 0. This can be selected up to three times per defensive item you wish to improve. Close-fitting (armor or helmet) : This piece of equipment is tougher to suffer a Piercing Blow while wearing. Increase the Protection of this item by 1. This can be selected up to three times per defensive item you wish to improve. Reinforced (shield, unique) : Your shield now makes it easier to parry blows. Increase the Parry of this shield by 1, and the shield cannot be smashed. This can be selected only once, but can be applied to any type of shield. Grievous (weapon, unique) : Your weapon now inflicts more harm. Increase the Damage of this weapon by 2, and for two-handed weapons this bonus is for using either single or double handed. This can be selected only once, but can be applied to any type of weapon. Keen (weapon, unique) : Your weapon now has an easier time causing Piercing Blows. Decrease the weapon's Edge rating by 1; a weapon with an Edge of 12 (Gandalf's Rune) is reduced to 10. This can be selected only once, but can be applied to any type of weapon. Fell (weapon, unique) : Your weapon now has an easier time causing a Piercing Blow through armor. Increase the weapon's Injury rating by 2. This can be selected only once, but can be applied to any type of weapon. BARDING QUALITIES These can be acquired by Bardings in the game... Dalish Longbow (Great Bow): The Bowyers of Dale used prodigiously tall and powerful staves of fine yew wood to make bows for their King's men. When you roll a 12 (Gandalf's Rune) on the Feat die using a Dalish Longbow, the target rolls the Feat die twice, taking the worst result for their Protection test. Spear of King Bladorthin (Spear): The Dwarves of the Mountain forged these spears for a king who lived before the Dragon came. Their thrice-forged heads never lose their keenness, and their shafts are inlaid with gold. When making a ranged attack with this weapon, roll the Feat die twice and take the best result. Tower Shield (Great Shield): The soldiers of Girion, Lord of Dale, carried great shields that were so tall that it was said a grown man could completely hide behind them. When using this shield, you get +3 to your Parry against ranged weapons. BEORNING QUALITIES These can be acquired by Beornings in the game... Giant-slaying Spear (Great Spear) : This is an unusually long Great Spear made of ash wood, once used only from horseback. When attacking creatures larger than Human, add +4 to the damage rating. Noble Armor (Leather Shirt or Corslet) : Craftsmen of old labored long on these coats of leather, shaping and decorating them specially. When wearing this armor at an Encounter you gain one free Encounter bonus dice. You also gain +3 when calculating Tolerance for the Encounter. Splitting Axe (Axe or Great Axe) : A Beorning Splitting Axe has a wedge-shaped head, capable of rending armor with its strokes, a hold-over from a time when a North-man needed a weapon capable of piercing the skin of a Dragon. If you roll a 12 (Gandalf's Rune) on the Feat Die when using this weapon, the target rolls one success die less on any Protection test. DWARF OF EREBOR QUALITIES These can be acquired by Dwarves of Erebor in the game... Axe of the Azanulbizar (Great Axe) : Every Dwarf that survived the Battle of Azanulbizar returned from the battlefield heavily laden with axes from all who died that day and whose bodies were burned in the pyre. When attacking an enemy with a attribute level of 7 or less, with this weapon, if you roll a 12 (Gandalf's Rune) on the Feat die, your opponent is made Weary for the remainder of combat. Dwarf-wrought Hauberk (Mail Armor) : The Dwarves of the Mountain make great coats of ringed steel armor, but still do not match the work of the armorers before Smaug. When wearing this armor and paying one Hope to invoke an attribute bonus for a Protection test, you also add your favored Body rating as a bonus. Helm of Awe (Helm) : Dwarven heroes of old wore great helms with visors crafted into hideous shapes, to better confuse and dismay an enemy looking on them. When wearing this helm and making an Awe test, rolls the Feat die twice and takes the best result. ELVES OF MIRKWOOD QUALITIES These can be acquired by the Elves of Mirkwood in the game... Bitter Spear (Spear) : Made in Dol Guldur from the Ash-wood of the once-proud Elven Stronghold of Gondolin. A roll of two sixes when attacking with this spear allows you to add 4 to your Injury rating. Spearman's Shield (Buckler) : These leaf-shaped bucklers are smaller than most others, but Elven spearmen learned long ago this buckler was essential in the fight. The Parry bonus of this buckler is granted, even when you're using a two-handed weapon. Woodland Bow (Bow) : Silvan Elves prefer smaller bows to those favored by many folk of the North, especially as they are less obstructive in Mirkwood, and fast to bend and release. You are allowed to make a second Opening Volley, and may make an Opening Volley when none would normally be allowed (unless you are surprised). HOBBITS OF THE SHIRE QUALITIES (See General Qualities, above, for Qualities available to the Hobbits of the Anduin Vales) These can be acquired by Hobbits of the Shire in the game... Bow of the North Downs (Bow) : An ancient story tells about a Company of Hobbits going to aid the King of the North Downs in battle; none returned, but a great number of very strong bows were recovered and are preserved to this day. When making a ranged attack with this bow, add either 3 or your Valor, whichever is higher, to your to-hit roll. King's Blade (Short Sword) : Every so often, country Hobbits find ancient swords in various places, and since their origin can never be found, they are known as 'King's Blades.' Rolling a great or better success and expending a Hope point allows for the inflicting of an automatic Piercing Blow. Lucky Armor (Armor) : Suits of armor are prized ornaments in the Shire, and the best of them can still be put to use, if an adventurous Hobbit demonstrates that he deserves it. If hit by a Piercing Blow, the wearer gets to roll the Protection Feat die twice, taking the best result. MEN OF THE LAKE QUALITIES These can be acquired by the Men of Lake-town in the game... Brazen Armor (Mail Armor) : Men-folk of the East favor suits of armor made of overlapping brass plates or composed of small scales arranged in a mesh, like the scales on a fish or the feathers of birds. Many of these suits hang yet on the walls of the great hall of Lake-town, waiting for the worthy to wear them. You gain an additional Success die for Protection tests against blunt or edged melee weapons, and one Success die less for arrows and spears, or other types of directly penetrating attacks. Keening Bog-stone : Some of the most rare and unusual possessions of any Lake-town household are these tiny, pigeon-egg sized and shaped black whetstones with green vein-like structures found ingrained in them. These are found where fishermen leave certain iron-tools behind; when they return, these Bog-stone's are in their place, in the Long Marshes. When carrying this stone on a necklace around your neck or in a pouch, it vibrates and emits a soft wailing sound when a creature of Shadow is nearby. Additionally, the first attack on such a creature forces that creature to lose a point of Hate. Serpent Scimitar (Sword) : Exotic blades from the far South are highly sought-after collector's items to the wealthier merchants of Lake-town. Most of these are useless, made of damasked iron for ceremonial use, with lacquered hilts and scabbards with colored stones. Others, however, are of the most superior craftsmanship, and deadly in the hands of a skilled fighter. When attacking with this weapon, the target's Parry rating bonus from any carried shield is ignored. WOODMEN OF MOUNTAIN HALL & OF WILDERLAND QUALITIES These can be acquired by the Woodmen of Wilderland and Mountain Hall in the game... Bearded-axe (Long-hafted Axe) : The most sought-after axes have a wide 'bearded' head, many with carven runes on them; this longer blade bites into shields, and the hooked ends can be used to disarm opposition. If you attack with this weapon, a great or better success allows you to choose whether you will do damage OR disarm your opponent, instead. Feathered Armor (Armor) : Radagast has blessed certain suits of armor with his cunning, and they do not make sound when worn, whether made from animal skins or rings of steel. When rolling Stealth while wearing this armor, roll the Feat die twice and keep the best result. Shepherds-bow (Bow or Great Bow) : All bows proving to be powerful are treasured by the Woodmen and are called 'Shepherds-bow', because they are typically used to protect herds of various animals from the Eagles of the Misty Mountains, and other predators. If you roll a great or better success, you inflict more damage equal to your basic Heart rating.
VIRTUES FOR THE ONE RING -==VIRTUES==- Virtues (aka Masteries) are based on the Wisdom of your character and are, generally, some manner of mental or spiritual enhancement. You may have a total of six (6) ranks in Wisdom, but may only begin to gain Masteries at second rank. The rules for each of the Masteries, general and cultural, are listed below... GENERAL MASTERIES These can be acquired by anyone in the game... Confidence : You have a tough spirit, but you see a bright future. Raise your maximum Hope by 2. If your Hope is not at max when you select this Virtue, it is reset to maximum. Dour-handed : When using ranged weapons, your aim is very sure. Increase ranged damage by 1. Expertise : You've practiced a skill until it's as natural as breathing. Choose a skill, either Common or Weapon, new or existing, and add +3 to it. This may only be done once per skill. Fell-handed : You put all of your strength into your blows. Increase melee damage by 1. Gifted : You have honed an inborn talent. Raise an Attribute of your choice by +1. Resilient : Your determination and stamina are strong because of hardship and toil. Raise your maximum Endurance by 2. If your remaining Endurance is not at 0 (zero) when you select this Virtue, it is reset to maximum. BARDING MASTERIES These can be acquired by Bardings in the game... Birthright : You are a rightful heir to an illustrious household that was powerful in the city of Dale. To many, your family history and fortune destine you for greatness, as they did your ancestors. Your Standard of Living is raised from Prosperous to Rich, and your Standing does not decrease at home during the year-end Fellowship phase. If you take a Wound during play that would otherwise kill you, choose between the following, instead: You die, and if you decide to play a direct descendant, they inherit the Birthright Virtue as an additional Cultural Blessing ( free ), or You are saved by some miraculous circumstance, but your Standing is set to 0, as you're presumed dead by your own folk. It would take some manner of extraordinary work to prove otherwise, and then you can begin building your Standing, again. If you come to this decision a second time, and your Standing is not at 2 or better, locally, your character must die, giving their birthright to a direct descendant, as above. Fierce Shot : You have learnt to bend your bow so fiercely that you hear its string crack like a whip when it sends an arrow flying. When using your bow, your Ranged Damage is +3 on a Great result or better. King's Men : The former glory of the proud hosts of Dale has been restored by King Bard, and so too the martial discipline that once made the city powerful, lest it be caught unprepared by assailants. Raise your maximum Endurance by 3. As well, the cost of raising your weapon ranks is 1 Experience Point less at each level. Swordmaster : A skilled Warrior can use his sword to deflect blows that would otherwise have hit their mark. You know how to fight defensively using your weapon to full advantage. When fighting in a Defensive stance, you gain a bonus to your Parry equal to your sword's Encumbrance rating. Woeful Foresight : Following Smaug's destruction of the last Esgaroth, some citizen's of Dale seem to have developed a sort of foresight. The future is always gloomy and uncertain, though sometimes you feel a sense of foreboding to warn you of impending trouble. Raise your maximum Hope by 1. As well, once every Adventuring Phase, you can invoke this foresight to gain potential vital information concerning anything negative that may happen, soon; if there is no negative information, the LoreMaster is to award the player an additional Experience Point. This can look like a hazy vision, a recurring or enigmatic dream, or a cryptic message borne by a talking bird. BEORNING MASTERIES These can be acquired by Beornings in the game... Brothers to Bears : You've learned to heed the call of an ancient animal heritage. When the full moon is out, no sound escapes your ears, as the night speaks to you in the language of the Wild. Raise your maximum Endurance by 3, and at night you see and hear better than under the light of the sun, enjoying your base appropriate attribute for a perception-related skill, as if you had spent a Hope point. Night-goer : At night you may slip into a dream-like state, leaving your physical body in spirit form to haunt the tracks made by animals across Wilderland. You may spend a point of Hope to explore an area within three days travel, until you are awakened at sunrise. Your spirit-form is that of a full-grown bear which is visible to others, and leaves tracks in the ground. You may accomplish anything in your spirit-bear form as you normally would, though anything that would cost you Endurance wakes you up. On wakening, any Endurance hit you take is immediately transferred to your physical body. Skin-coat : Tales say that a Warrior's own courage will turn steel and iron better than the smith's hammer-work. When hit by a Piercing Blow in combat, you can reduce your Endurance by a number of points to also reduce the Injury Rating of the weapon you will need to overcome. Great Strength : If you remain free while fighting, you can use your strength and nimbleness. If the total Encumbrance of your carried gear is equal to or less than 12, when in close quarters, you receive a +3 to your Parry score. Twice-baked Honey Cakes : The honey-cakes of the Beornings are legendary among travellers. The Dale-men's Crams, as they're called, can carry men far on journeys, and you know how how to make them. Raise your company's Fellowship rating 1 point for the Adventuring Phase. As well, all of your Fatigue test difficulties are reduced by your Wisdom rank. EREBOR DWARVES MASTERIES These can be acquired by the Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain in the game... Broken Spells : You've learned some long-remembered fragments of old spells, some of which require you to work runic inscriptions, usually in stone or metal, or sometimes in wood. There are three actual spells you can learn: Secrecy , Prohibition and Exclusion , and Opening and Shutting . Each of the three spells is separate, and may only be chosen when you choose to increase Wisdom by a new rank. Spells of Opening and Shutting :&nbsp; This fragment must be spoken when near a door or gate, to magically lock it, or recited backwards to unlock it. This will not work to unlock a door locked under a particular word, but may work if the same type of magic was used. Spells of Prohibition and Exclusion :&nbsp; This runic inscription is placed normally on gates or doors, to protect the area from intruders. You would carve these signs on a rock, or tree bark of a tree in the perimeter of your camp, and you will be wakened if an unwanted and/or dangerous guest breaks that perimeter. Spells of Secrecy :&nbsp; These are carved on a concealed door, personal hiding spot or object, making it entirely unnoticed unless someone is seeking it, specifically. The runes are invisible to the untrained eye as long as they remain magically active; these can only be seen when the spell is broken. The object must be suspected, and even then an extraordinary success is required to find it, unless the searcher is a Dwarf, in which case a simple success will do. Durin's Way : You know how to fight underground, tactically, using your terrain to your advantage, giving you a bonus to Parry of +3. Old Hatred :&nbsp; Old Hatred: When you face Orcs, you feel the strength of your ancestor's flowing hotly in your veins. When fighting Orcs in melee combat, add +3 or your Valor rating. Ravens of the Mountain :&nbsp; These birds are long-lived, speak the common tongue, are wise, and you have befriended one. They have helped the Dwarves countless times, gathering information, sending messages for your folk, and more. Your raven friend is never far away from you, and you may call on them for aid in a matter of minutes. The raven is normally eager to help, but if you try to get them to do something that is unusual or unnecessarily dangerous, you will test their faithfulness and must roll an Arduous Courtesy test. Though a raven never asks for anything in return, doing too much over a short period of time will make them begin to feel entitled to some manner of compensation. It may take a raven some time, depending on distance, message length, or weight carried, to complete an assignment. The following list gives you some possible errands you might give your winged ally, but does not limit your inventiveness: Bring Tidings : Raven's are always aware of what's taking place in the wild, and always eager to report. Carry Messages : Messages are delivered via a network of other ravens. Investigate : The raven will go to seek information, though where the investigation takes it, the bird must naturally be able to go. Carry Food : The raven may be asked to bring food or a small amount of liquid, if it is within one day's flight, and can be taken easily enough. The Stiff Neck of Dwarves : Dwarves are considered to be unyielding and stubborn, and their natural inclination against the taint of Shadow makes them stronger. You add a number equal to your current Shadow score to all your Common Skill -NOT Weapon Skill- rolls. ELVES OF MIRKWOOD MASTERIES These can be acquired by Elves of Mirkwood in the game... Deadly Archer : Most members of your kin possess a natural talent for hitting the mark when using their bows. Your arrows tend to more easily find their targets, through your uncanny precision. When invoking an attribute bonus on a ranged attack using a bow, you gain an additional base Heart score. Elvish Dreams :&nbsp; You actually recover your strength by engaging in tasks such as walking, rowing a boat, or other light repetitive tasks. At the end of the day of activity, you recover a number of Endurance points equal to your Wisdom rank. Shadow-bane : Your people have suffered many years fighting against the Shadow, that even the passing of centuries of time cannot quell. When fighting Forward against a servant of the Shadow, add one Success die to all of your attack rolls (max of 6 total dice). The Call of Mirkwood : You believe you and your race should be able to enjoy life to the fullest, as long as Mirkwood and the world endure. You know the price of this, fading into living memory, one who lingers in the shadows of the trees; for now, though you are able to use this fading to your advantage, so others may not see you if you choose to not be seen. You may spend a Hope point to have an automatic success at Stealth; also, when you make a roll using a Movement or Survival group skill, you ignore being Weary. You are, however, treated as a wild and willful creature, not trustworthy; so, for the purpose of determining Tolerance for an Encounter with other Elves of Mirkwood, you are treated as though you have a Valor and Wisdom of 1. The Speakers : You know how to communicate with almost everything, from grass, stone, and water, to any living being. For example, you can hear the stones of a path whisper who trod on it recently, or you may sing to soothe a disquieted animal. Which skill you use (such as Riddle , Song , or Insight ) depends on what you are trying to accomplish to communicate. Wood-elf Magic : You are mastering what mortals might call 'Elf-magic'. Of three 'spells' available, you gain Stinging Arrow, first, and then each subsequent 'spell', below, when you increase your Valor, and spend an Experience Point, again. These 'spells' are outlined, below... Stinging Arrow : You can make an arrow flicker as if with a magical fire, making it fly true. When you spend a point of Hope and fire an arrow, you may determine whether to allow the arrow to fly twice its range, OR if the arrow will automatically be a Piercing Blow. Elf-lights : You can make a torch or lamp burn with a special flame that attracts all mortals nearby. You may spend a point of Hope to light a torch or lamp. Any speaking mortal creature must try to get near the flame, or spend a point of Hope (or Hate if a minion of the Shadow) to ignore the effect. You may snuff out the light at will, even from a distance, or you may cause it to flare brightly to blind and confuse your enemies. Enchanted Sleep: Having used an Elf-light to attract an unwary victim, you can enchant him into slumber. The first living creature entering the area with an attribute level less than 6 falls immediately into an enchanted sleep. HOBBITS OF THE SHIRE & WILD HOBBITS MASTERIES These can be acquired by Hobbits of the Shire or Wild Hobbits of Anduin Vales in the game... Art of Disappearing : You know how to turn away from the attention of others, sometimes unconsciously anticipating the need to disappear. If you have the opportunity to hide or escape in a crowd, in a shadowy corner, a thick patch of undergrowth, you can take it, based on the LoreMaster's discretion. Though you remain in the area, you are unseen by interlopers, as if you actually disappeared in mid-air, though you may reveal yourself at any time by stepping out of your hiding place. Brave At A Pinch : One of the Wise once said that you have to put a Hobbit in a tight place before you find out what is in them, though they tend to avoid tight places. When spending a point of Hope to invoke an Attribute bonus, you also cancel any penalties for being Weary for that action. Fair Shot : You've excelled at all sorts of throwing games, and you are exceptionally accurate, enough so you roll the Feat Die twice and take the best result when making a ranged attack. Tough in the Fiber : With a prolonged rest in a safe place, you recover Endurance at a higher pace, whether you are hurt or simply tired. If Wounded, and it's not been treated, you recover 2 points; if you are nursing a treated Wound, you recover 4. If you are uninjured, you recover 3 + your favored Heart rating. When traveling, not in a safe place, you recover as normal. Small Folk : You know how to use your slight stature to your advantage in a fight. When being attacked in close combat by a creature larger than you, your basic Parry rating is calculated using your favored Wits score, rather than base. Outside of combat, you gain the 'Small' Trait, and can invoke it normally. MEN OF THE LAKE MASTERIES These can be acquired by Men of the Lake in the game... Bowman of the Guild : You've demonstrated talent with ranged weapons that has made you worthy to join the Bowmen's Guild of Esgaroth, an honorable association of the best archer's of Lake-town. Your Standing among the cultures of Men is raised by 1 point. Also, when you spend a point of Hope, you automatically upgrade the quality of a successful attack by one level, turning a regular success into a great success, and a great success into an extraordinary one. Merchant Prince: Your family's fortune is rising the more the trade routes open, for new and existing markets, and as a result you are allowed to have a servant along with you for your next endeavor, from the following list ~ (see page 29 of the Lake-town Sourcebook for details of each) : Page, Physician, Porter, or Scrivener. Except for the Physician, this is normally a boy-servant, often a minor relative of modest ambition; regardless, this individual is a servant, not a fighter. Shield-fighting : You can wield a shield like the boatmen of Esgaroth when they repel boarders. If fighting using a shield, when you successfully hit an enemy roll the Feat Die, again and, on an 8+ you inflict an additional loss of Endurance equal to your Damage rating plus the Encumbrance value of the Shield you are using. Trader's Savvy : You've lived long enough to know that pleasant words are always received better than harsh ones when dealing with strangers. When about to play out an Encounter, you may attempt to raise its Tolerance by making a roll of Song , Courtesy , or Riddle against a TN of 14. On a successful roll, add +1 to the Tolerance, or a +2 on a great success, or a +3 on an extraordinary success. Water Legs : You have learned how to move appropriately on a boat, as a Lake-man, and now you can exploit your superior balance. When being attacked, you may spend a bonus Success dice to gain +3 to your Parry score. However, when fighting on a boat, you receive one free Combat advantage bonus die during Onset of Combat. WOODMEN OF MOUNTAIN HALL & WILDERLAND These can be acquired by Woodmen of both Wilderland and Mountain Hall in the game... A Hunter's Resolve : You have become a relentless and indefatigable hunter. Once per day, spend a point of Hope to recover Endurance equal to your favored Heart rating. Herbal Remedies : Mirkwood is shunned by many, but its eaves are still good for herbs, and you are learning the ancient craft of making salves and remedies from elders and wise-women. You have learned which herbs qualify as Fragrant Weeds when you first select this virtue; later, by taking this Virtue, again, and spending an Experience Point, you may collect Poison Remedies as well. Fragrant Weeds ~ You have a habit of chewing herbs and roots that are said to bring vigor back. When your Endurance drops below your Fatigue score for the first time, you are not yet considered Weary. You only become Weary when your Endurance drops, again. Poison Remedies ~ You can prepare a drink that, when ingested, can despoil the effects of Spider-poison, or a salve to neutralize the action of Orc-poison. To do this, spend a point of Hope and roll Craft vs. a TN of 16 to make either of these happen. Hound of Mirkwood : Your people have always loved raising Hounds; great, long-jawed dogs, stronger than wolves. While your Hound lives, raise your maximum Hope by 2 points; however, this comes at a price. If in battle, and an attack aimed at you produces an 11 on the Feat Die (Sauron's Eye), the blow automatically Wounds the Hound; you may prevent this by taking the automatic Wound on yourself. A Wounded Hound is automatically out of combat for the remainder of it, and can only return to your side on a successful Healing roll against a TN of 16. If you fail, the Hound will remain with you, but is not able to perform in combat, and cannot rejoin you in that capacity until the next Fellowship Phase. When first selecting this Virtue, you gain the Support of your Hound, with one activity: Awe , Awareness , Explore or Hunting . You may train your Hound in additional skills to support you, but you have to take the virtue again, and spend an Experience Point, each time you train a new skill. When making a roll for your dog, you roll the Feat die twice, and keep the best result. Harass Enemy ~ You may spend a Fellowship phase and 2 Experience Points to teach your Hound to harass an opponent when fighting in close quarters, putting your opponent in a state where they're considered to be Weary. Protect ~ You may spend a Fellowship phase and 1 Experience Point to teach your Hound to harass your enemies at range while you withdraw to use a ranged weapon. Your Hound would fight, as if it were a Companion, in a Close-Combat position while you are in your Rearward position, except instead of only being able to defend against twice their number, they can fight up to three times. Natural Watchfulness : Whether traveling, exploring, or even resting, the behavior of animals can communicate much to those who know how to interpret the signs. The sudden silence of a bird, the distant rumbling of a beast in flight, or a spooked Hart can all tell about impending danger, or coming changes in your environment. When outside, all successful Awareness rolls are upgraded by one success level. Additionally, once per day you can make an Explore check with a target of 14 to gather information regarding the surrounding area, as if you were observing it from a good vantage point. River Blooded : A secret was recently revealed to you - that you have a River-maiden in your lineage; you are the second generation from that union. Whenever you roll Athletics as related to any boating or swimming, you automatically succeed. When anywhere near the Dusky River, and you spend a point of Hope on any Attribute bonus, you gain the Favored rating, regardless of whether the skill is Favored or not. Finally, you also understand the speech of the Black Herons that live on the banks or the Dusky River. Staunching Song : You've been taught a song from the earliest days of your life, and it's taught only to the worthiest members of your clan. At the end of a fight, roll Song against TN 14 to recover an additional number of Endurance points equal to your Wisdom rating, twice Wisdom for a great success, or three times Wisdom for an extraordinary success. Also, if you have been Wounded your injury is considered to have been treated. You may also spend a point of Hope to make a Wound as if treated for another member of your Company.
After performing quite a bit of research, it appears our game will require the use of two places, the forums I have already built ( <a href="http://www.wolvesau.net/wh/fantasy/viewforum.php?f" rel="nofollow">http://www.wolvesau.net/wh/fantasy/viewforum.php?f</a>... ), which means you will require an account, if you do not already have one, and here at Roll 20.&nbsp; I welcome lurkers, though you should not require an account for that.&nbsp; I will be allowing dice rolls from the roller of your choice, though my preferred is found at ( <a href="https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm" rel="nofollow">https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm</a> ), and I'd like to get to know your preferred, as well.&nbsp; Most narrative work will be done at my forums, though combat, scenes that require placement, scenes that require greater explanation, etc., will be done here on Roll 20. The reason I've chosen to do this is that we have at least two players who are overseas and two players who are East Coast US, so getting together to role-play will present challenges easily overcome by using the Turn Tracker here on Roll 20, and my forums.&nbsp; Once I have players set up, here, for the game, I will invite them to register at the other forums, as well.&nbsp; I have some updating to do at the other forums, to the latest version of phpBB, for the sake of safety and security, and I intend to accomplish that this coming weekend, and/or the following week. Stay tuned, more to come.
Invitations have gone out to all current players for Roll 20, now, and I will be opening the forums for new registrations, and sending out invitation emails there, soon.&nbsp; After all registrations for the present group are completed, I will send out the plan for getting our game started.