Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Keep Portland Weird - Mage: The Ascension M20 - General Interest Check

This is a general interest check/the beginnings of collecting payers for a Mage the Ascension 20th Anniversary game.  I am looking to run a classic city-based game that is semi-sandbox.  I would like players who can get into exploring what it is to live their character's lives as Mages just as much as they can enjoy a conflict with the denizens of the World of Darkness.  I have a slightly more real-world feel game in mind that is just as likely to involve going to a city council meeting to convince folks to save a neighborhood as it is magickal battles against Hit Marks every five minutes. I would like to run regular shorter games, maybe about 3 hours a pop every other week and sometimes a week in between depending on availability.  I am leaning towards weeknights currently.  I like to run for smaller groups (3 to 5 max), but am inclined to collect a few extra members to keep each session full and insulate against drop outs.  I am also fine with players sitting sessions out.  I hope to run these as brief short stories within the broader setting, some of which link together into longer arcs, but not every story needs to be about the same group of mages. I plan to try and get this rolling in the next 2 to 4 weeks (not a huge rush).  Let me know if you're interested.  I plan to place it in Portland (based on a PbP game I run), and I am going to focus it around the Cascade Campus of Portland Community College primarily.  Here is a little intro blurb for the game: Portland, Oregon. I could think of worse cities to live in. Portland is for dreamers and artists, a place where creative minds and believers of things most don’t believe congregate. I’ll take that any day over the greedy prosperity of Seattle. We can sometimes even work our subtler arts out in the open and the Black Hats and Mirror Shades are often too busy sipping local roasted beans or malted barley to notice or care. Portland has relatively mild crime, free of the violent poverty and the mother-effing vampire psychopaths of a place like Detroit. Yeah, it’s a pretty nice town. Of course, it’s not that effing nice. Portland is full of BS. A once beautifully weird burg, the city is now overrun by yuppy hipsters touting their fashionable naturalism as thick as a sheet of velum. Sure, the nature hikes are nice until some mad wolf-man tears your head off for peeing on his ancestor’s something or other. It may look like we don’t have the corrupt and controlling bureaucracy that other cities have, but some days I might prefer a politician who seems as shady as he is instead of one that will shoot you a Birkenstocked-smile and shake your hand at a rainy BBQ just to turn around and sell your neighborhood to the latest wealthy developer in the name of sterilized progress and kicking the heroin attics out. The city is changing. She’s losing her soul, and while the symptoms may not be as overtly ugly as in some other places, they are still unsavory and they are there. To make matters worse we the young of the Traditions have lost our masters, lost behind the Avatar Storm, stuck in the Horizon, all while the Rouge Council and Control call for renewed aggression between the Techno-idiocy and ourselves. Through it all we have to make some kind of life, some kind of stable peace, and if we want to keep our Awakened-Souls, above all we have got to Keep Portland Weird .

Edited 1464035548
Zac C.
KS Backer
Oh my, someone wants to run M20. I'd be down to play depending on when this is. Good luck on getting players
My only question would be...  voice or text?
Voice
Definite interest, if the group is mature enough and the time of the week fits (that's a big if , mind). I've got lots of WoD experience, although it's mostly pre-20th anniversary. Kind of grizzled, here - I got into games with Mark R*H and Steven Wieck, back in the day. Looking forward to hearing where this is going.
FYI I have one taker for sure already and a IRL buddy is likely going to join. If anyone is seriously interested, I have the game posted as an actual listing.  Strangely when I search for it I can't find it, but one person as requested to join already so it must be out there somewhere...
Having searched the LFG listings manually (well, the first 12 pages of them) and not having found your game: could you pm a link to the campaign? Depending on people accidentally finding it is not going to bode well for getting the best possible selection of players.
I may be interested depending on when you plan on running it.
Definitely interested, but when do you plan to run it? Time? Timezone?

Edited 1464099214
Hrmmm...  I'm new to this site, so I don't know why some folks seem able to find my listing and others not...  I will try to look into that. EDIT: I would just post the link here, but I think I read in the forum guidelines that that is a vulgar effect. My plan to run this in probably a 7:30 to 10:30ish Mountain Time slot, weeknights (some flexibility on day), trying to average every other weekly at a minimum (though as mentioned there may be a somewhat rolling cast of PCs so missing occasionally is no big deal).
Mystery solved! I was just being dumb and not checking the "mature, 18+" box.  So, if you search on the LFG page for World of Darkness games and click to yes, include mature 18+ games, you should find it (Keep Portland Weird).  It is one near the top.
As a Portland native, I approve of this theme. :D
Sunwugong said: My plan to run this in probably a 7:30 to 10:30ish Mountain Time slot, weeknights (some flexibility on day), trying to average every other weekly at a minimum (though as mentioned there may be a somewhat rolling cast of PCs so missing occasionally is no big deal). Ah. Well, nevermind then :(
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Sunwugong said: EDIT: I would just post the link here, but I think I read in the forum guidelines that that is a vulgar effect. You can always post LFG directory links ! :)  Just make sure you're posting the link to the LFG entry and not a link to the game itself, because until you get a paid account AND make the game accessible to the public only players in the game can access the game link.
Today I received a request to chat on skype concerning game details by a potential player (name escapes me now... maybe it was Amy?).  Being at work however I delayed until later, but I guess it turns out once you read a message they just disappear?  Anyway, if I'm talking about you, please resend.  Sorry, new to this platform and still kicking the tires a bit.
That time works great for me (But can't do Wednesdays or Thursdays.), and I'd love to play. I posted a message in your LFG forum too.