Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[PF] How to associate attack macros to attack roll shortcuts? (repeating_attack_X)

Edited 1464483435
Hello! It might seem like an absolutely stupid question to a lot of you but... for some reason I really can't find the answer anywhere, and the way to do it is not really obvious! So, I just started using roll20 today but I can't manage to create a macro for that flail command I just created. I wanna create a roll command that I could use with %{selected | repeating_weapon_0_attack} for example. I understand it's probably done by associating that custom attack I created with repeating_weapon_0_attack for instance, but I just can't manage to do it. How do I associate those two, to be able to use the macro easily by simply rolling one of those? Sorry if the question is stupid. Thanks!

Edited 1464490757
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Welcome to the table Citan, Depending on which type of macro you are trying to make, the way to reference this repeating field is slightly different. Regardless of which macro you use though, you aren't going to reference the buttons listed across the top. You're going to reference the button in each repeating section (if you hover your mouse over them, you can see exactly what each one is called (useful for figuring out what number to replace the 'X' with below. Abilities (added under the abilities and attributes tab) Putting @{repeating_weapon_$X_attack-roll} in an ability will reference the correct repeating section. Global Macros (added under the settings tab of the chat window) As above, but now you need some way to identify which character's repeating section you're referencing, so something like this will work: @{selected|repeating_weapon_$X_attack-roll} You can also replace the $X section with the repeating sections actual ID (find this in the sections details) if you don't want to have to worry about someone moving the sections around on you and screwing up your macro calls. -Scott Edit: Also, It looks like you're using the pathfinder (French language edition) sheet from the screenshot; is this correct? The advice above was based on the english pathfinder sheet (which it looks like has been updated more recently). If the french version is extremely behind on updates, it may still be back at the point where you could not activate the repeating sections from outside the sheet. If this is the case, the only way (which I did for nearly a year) is to essentially recreate the macro text in the macro that you are going to make. You will have to essentially put the calculations that go in the calculated fields of the sheet into the macro as these fields did not exist for any references from outside the sheet back at the older version.
Hello! Thanks for the answer! I'm not sure I understood everything. Am I supposed to see some name when hovering over the "dice" button of my custom Flail attack? Because I sure do see the name of every "dice" icon, for Melee, Distance, etc. or those shortcuts with repeating_weapon_0_Attack, etc. But I do not see anything when I hover over my custom Flail. Did you mean that I'm supposed to manually add @{repeating_weapon_$X_attack-roll} in the Macro section of my attack? Because that doesn't seem to work for me... I can only manage to make global macros so far but I have to type the whole code in again, when with every other little dice icon I can simply put the shortcut (%{Famfrit|Melee-Attack-Roll} for instance) and use it as I wish. Only for my custom attacks do I have to go check the little window and click on the dice icon everytime. It would be so much better with a macro... Also, about the French Pathfinder thingy, does it delete anything if you try to change it mid-game? My DM actually put only the sheets in French because he thought it would be better for one person in our group, but we ended up all looking up our information on English Pathfinder sites anyway (the official Paizo site most of the time) and we all only know most of our terms in English so it would be so much better if we could switch it. Only problem is, my DM told me he had to choose the sheets language when he created the game, and he doesn't know wether or not we might lose all of our data if we start changing our sheets' language. Can we simply change it without losing anything? We'd all be better off with English sheets anyway, and you say the most recent updates are on those ones anyway... Thanks! Citan

Edited 1464975368
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
You should see a name when you hover over the button that is in the repeating field (assuming it works like the english version). it should read something like @{repeating_weapon_$0_attack}. I personally prefer putting my macros referencing a characters abilities in to the abilities and attributes section of the journal entry (the third tab: bio, character sheet, abilities and attributes ) if you did that, then you would just put @{repeating_weapon_$0_attack} into a new ability and name it whatever you'd like. May have to put selected| at the start.   Ah, just switched my debug game to the pathfinder french sheet. It looks like it hasn't been updated in a while and is still back at where the main pathfinder sheet was a year or more ago. I don't think there is a way to directly reference the attack with @{} or %{}. What I used to do, before the pathfinder sheet allowed those, was to make custom macros in the abilities and attributes tab of the character's journal entry that pretty much remade the macro for a given attack. The problem being that you can't reference anything in the attack itself as those fields don't exist from the macro's perspective, which is very annoying. I know that roll20 is starting to roll out translation support, but you'd have to ask one of the sheet authors like Chris B or Vince how that is coming for the pathfinder sheet; I'd say shift over to the base version if you can though.

Edited 1465066157
I think we'd all wanna switch to the English version but according to our DM (never tried to DM myself) we actually need to choose the language of the sheets when we create the game. Now we're already 6 feet deep inside the game so we can't afford to delete everything. Do you think we can switch the language of the sheets without deleting the whole game or deleting everyone's sheets? (We're 5, with 2 people having an Eidolon so it'd be super annoying to restart it all) Thanks for checking all that for me by the way! Appreciate it :) Tried to mess around with Attributes and Abilities tab, namely by copying the Macro code and put it in the "Abilities : +Add" thingy but half of the variables aren't even here so I'd have to add those again Q.Q
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Citan, I believe the French version is using an older version of the current PF sheet.  The date on the sheet is 10/9/15'.   I think you could use an English copy of the html and css from github from the same time period without problems.(compatible English version: html   css  )  Or better yet, you might try going with the latest version.  Too many features and changes to list.  Any macros that use repeating attributes will need to be adjusted to include "$X" where x is the row number, or use the rows id.  This was a roll20 change.  Of course I would make a backup of the campaign and test with it first.  ;-P

Edited 1465080662
Hi! I don't really think we have macros using repeating attributes, but the thing is, I myself even tried to create a test game with the French Pathfinder sheets (on purpose) to try to switch it but I can't find that option anywhere. Is there even a way to change all of the sheets in roll20 in the middle of a game? Our DM already did a lot so... (also how do you backup a campagin?) Thanks :D

Edited 1465081108
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Yep, go to game settings, scroll down till you find the sheet section. There's a drop down to select whatever sheet. I've switched from the standard pathfinder to the simple and back again without problems. Also, I've swapped from the English to the French and back again for my macro check a few posts up without a problem. Tbackup a campaign, just copy it and select everything for copying. Edited 6/4/16 1757 CST

Edited 1465104793
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Make sure you are the GM and use the  Game Settings page. Backup/copy campaign: choose Copy Game Change sheet:  choose a Characters Sheet Template. 
Hello there! Just here to thank you both for your advices, it works perfect :D All we had to do is to change to the updated English sheets and everything works by itself lol (and the added Spellbook is just AWESOME) You helped me out a lot :D Cheers! Citan
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Good to hear