Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Me and a friend looking to play some D&D 5e

Edited 1467077669
Hi As the title says, me and  Atticus O'Sullivan are looking for a GM to play some games with, or be part of a campaign. We are both experienced with 5e and all the official material out there (my friend is on the news pages for the next things to be released, and often tweeting the game designers e.g Jeremy Crawford, for rule clarifications etc). He is 29 and I am 35, both male living in the UK (time zone GMT) We would like to play through Out of the Abyss, or some fun homebrew you have concocted. But we find it hard to get into games we know we will enjoy. Usually due to a lack of experience on the GM's behalf. We all know new GM's come and go. The time needed to run a GOOD game is fairly high, and young or people will lack of drive soon crumble under the pressure. We also always ask a list of questions to make recruiting us simpler. But most of the time GM's don't even bother to read them and ask questions back to us. Once again showing the lazy attitudes we know will flake eventually on the game. We are dedicated players willing to put time and effort into a game being run by a GM. You want a detailed background we will do that. You want some NPCs named and places in that backstory, you got it. You want some character hooks that actually make sense and aren't just "I fight for vengeance" or "I'm out to steal stuff" no problem. I make tokens, and have already got one for each monster in the MM that i'm willing to pass over to make your life simpler. Have character tokens as well (probably way to many, as there is over 500 by now), also a few villagers for some NPC's. The questions we ask (and no doubt most of you have seen us posting before and have read them) are to show the sort of play style or just information we would like to know before joining games. We want to know if your using some home brew rule not in the book. Way say you want to keep it hidden until players join, only to have half or more of them leave due to this list of silly rules added that players don't want to use, or is just so GM vs player there isn't a point to playing the game? Its just as much the players game as it is the GM's, and a GOOD GM will take the time to ask players questions, and are willing to change things that makes it fun for everyone. For the most part we have had good responses from people we have played with. Liking are character ideas the detail we show in how we make them come to life. I enjoy putting on voices and mannerisms that make my characters stand out from the crowd, new players tend to love and laugh along with what we do to make the game more role play friendly over hack and slash. We like a good mix 50/50 maybe going 10% ether way. We do like to get immerse in are role play but massively understand combat is needed hence the 50/50. Here are the questions we ask (copy and pasted from a document). As you can see on are 1st two questions we even say to not invite us as politely as possible. This is to save are time and others. Questions for DM Okay. Below you will find a list of Detailed questions, you may or may not have already posted the information for some in your campaign description. If so ignore those. The reason I ask these is that I know what sort of game I am looking for and sometimes there is not enough information provided to know if I will enjoy myself in your campaign. This is no slight on you as a GM, its just personal preference. 1. Do you and all your players roll on roll20 and not in real life? (If real life rolling, ignore my post please) I know we all like the feel of dice in are hands but to make sure no fudging or just down right cheating is being done all Combat rolls should be on the site for all to see. This site has perfect sheets for NPC's and monsters, feel free to use them to make life easier on yourself and others. 2. Is this a theater of the mind style game or will there be maps for combat at least? If this is theater of the mind then please ignore my post as every single DM that does not use maps that I have played with does not give adequate descriptions normally leading to screwing over the group. 3. What sheets are you using for your games? and is SRD turn on for quick spell fill out?I proffer Shaped v2 with the SRD turned on. 4. Is there any House/Variant rules we all should be aware of before applying, such as, Slow Natural Healing, Injures/Crit table, Disarm, Overrun, Shove Aside and Tumble etc as i like to play with rules as written by Wizards of The Coast. Although I do like the Flanking optional rule. 5. What chat system do you use for your game? I have Skype, Teamspeak and Discord. Will get others if needed other than google hangouts. 6. Are you using any all of the official rules or just the PHB. Such as Elemental Evil Players Companion, Sword Coast Adventurers Guide. Or tester things like Unearthed Arcana material. I would rather no home brew things got added that didn't have players approval as well as GM. 7. What is the start level for the player characters and is there any bonus gold/items? 8. What Stats are you using for characters creation? e.g rolling, standard, point-buy (Prefer standard or point-buy but will roll now and then) 9. What world is your campaign based in and are there any changes in lore for your world? I ask as if there is something huge has been changed, like Drow are not cursed and followers of the spider queen in your world. That's something character from that world would know and players need to know before picking that race or writing a backstory. 10. Is this a short or long term campaign and what is the expected finish level for the group? 11. Are you allowing evil characters in the group. I'm not a fan of most evil players as they tend towards inner fighting, theft and general disruption to the campaign. Also not a fan of someone making a character to steal from the group or world with no consequences. 12 . How long are your sessions? I normally allocate 4-5 hour's when I apply for a game and i'm ok with it running longer. We are both adults and are fine with not making it into groups that are looking for less experienced players but we would like to play more games with like minded people, and if someone out there is willing to have us, send us a PM. Currently free Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri GMT 7-11pm for game start times. Thanks for reading :)
Hello, Rosefirefly -- I enjoyed this thorough and well thought-out post. If you happen to find a DM, (and I don't mean to invite myself) but I do hope that we could play sometime in the future together if you happen to need more players for whatever campaign you may be a part of. Would you be against me using your questions as a template for my future DM inquiries? 
Feel free bud. These are what me and my friend find some campaign/game posts lack. I like a nice story post added to someones LFG thread as much as the next guy. But when they fail to add any details questions need asking :) Use them to your hearts content.
Thank you! Also, if you and your friend have Skype, feel free to add me! I have a few people from this site added so we can all keep in touch and share ideas/campaigns and find players/DMs for our games! My username on there is thecolortwelve. Again, thank you for allowing me to use these questions for my own inquiries.
Maybe I should have had a more snappy title :P seems like a huge lack of responses 
The ref to player ratio is insane....  Ive been forced out of my comfortable player seat because of it and believe me when i say it was under protest.
Yea I understand that. Was hoping now roll20con was finally over more GM's would be about. And in case people didn't clearly understand "Currently free Mon, Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri GMT 7-11pm for game start times." Is just referring to what times I would like a game to start at. Not game finishing as well. So it can start at any hour in that bracket and go on for 4 or more hours, or whatever the GM has planned.
Fingers still crossed for some GM responses/interest. PM any questions you have or post on here. I can be (moderately) flexible and most of my questions are just that, inquiries on what your games are like. Yes I am a stickler for rules, but thats just because I want no cheaters, as they never make games fun for GM's or there other team members.
Are you asking whether the DM makes all his rolls public, or do you just want all the players to show their rolls?
That question I will reword to apply to all players and GM if it's not clear. When I first wrote that, it was only to the GM. But everyone should be rolling combat clear for all to see. We know some things need to be hidden, hence only specified combat at least.
Reworded that first question for ya  Brian M Now lets hope some GM's actually read and respond :P

Edited 1465582454
Still would like to join an Out of the Abyss game if one is out there starting up. Or even join a ongoing one as I have started 2 before they collapsed and never got far.
Still interested and hoping for more feedback

Edited 1466794019
Redone these questions a touch in the hope it helps clear up anything that people got confused on.           ================================================================================================== 3. What sheets are you using for your games? and is SRD turn on for quick spell fill out? I proffer Shaped v4 with the SRD turned on. These are these the  Sheets your using? 4. Are there any home-brew rules or optional rules being used in your game? If so please can you list them. I ask this because I have had a DM drop in rules just to kill players for there own enjoyment. Example of DM vs Player Here! 5. What chat system do you use for your game? I have Skype, Teamspeak and Discord. Will get others if needed other than google hangouts as i'm not a fan and had bad experiences. 6. Are you using any/all of the official rules or just the PHB. Such as Elemental Evil Players Companion, Sword Coast Adventurers Guide. Or tester things like Unearthed Arcana material. I would rather no home brew things got added that didn't have players approval as well as GM. As some people allow broken things e.g This         ================================================================================================= Hoping to hear some more feedback and any potential GM's. If you need to ask me anything (or  Atticus O'Sullivan ) feel free to hit me up with a PM or respond on here.
Had some nice messages and removed Monday from my list of free days. Keep them coming. I can easily do 1 or 2 more games in the week and still have some free days for TV, Family and maybe that social life us gamers don't normally do much of lmao
Been a week, games come and go :) My Fridays seem to be booked (for the moment) and my Mondays are free once more.
Are you able to play during the "graveyard shift"?

Edited 1467978736
Depends on what time zone your on about. We are on the GMT. So if your times match up with us due to the difference. I know I  can play late into the night, if your on about starting within the times I linked at the end of the original post.