Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Add Trig Calculations to Ruler

Idea: Add Trig Calculations to the Ruler when you Hold down a modifier key (i.e. spacebar, shift, etc.). The angle and distance in the x, and y directions should display when dragging the ruler out while the modifier key is being pressed. Background: We play our game on a non-gridded surface in a 3D space. Adding Trig Calculations to the measurements tool would allow us an easy graphical way to calculate the distance traveled in 3D space easier than going to a third party online tool or breaking out the calculators ourselves. I understand that in most systems this is not really a concern, but it would be a neat additional feature for those who might have need. I could not find a suggestion for this on the forum so please forgive me if this has already been suggested.
I agree that this would be nice, along with a full in game calculator. In the mean time, try using an Excel type program, the Pythagorean Theorem, can solve all distance problems. I also always have an excel type program open when I play these games. I have a setup to calculate 3-D distances quickly. I have one box for elevation difference, and another for top down distance (say A1 and A2), in A3 I would put "=SQRT(A1^2+A2^2)". Excel and Apache Open Office are great programs, I've found quite a few times I need some calculations made that I can setup quickly with it. Mine also has an experience calculator, and quick health calculator for creating characters past level 1, among others.
I have a few players able to fly alot in my games and us of building rooftops. being able to better show elevation and distance in elevation would help better immersion. 
Perhaps not pretty, but a possible macro fix for the short-term. I use it to calculate the distance to hit a flying object (basic trig): &{template:5e-shaped} {{title=Ranged Attack}} {{text_big=Range to hit: [[round([[?{height}*?{height} + ?{distance}*?{distance}]]**0.5)]] feet}} The first bit is just formatting to the sheet I use. When run it asks for the height (B-C) and the distance (A-B) and calculates the range (A-C). This is rounded to the nearest foot, but it's accurate enough for what I use it for. The result is displayed in the chat window. There is some info here which suggests some fixes for height display, but it requires access to the API.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .