Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Die Rolls Incorect

I was trying to roll first 2d6 on exploding and then 8d6 on exploding so I could see each individual die.  When I was rolling 2d6 I got a range of 2 to 6d6 and when i was trying to roll 8d6 it ranged from 8 to 12d6 every time.  More often than not it was over the number of dice i was looking for.
1466432089
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
what syntax were you using? The exploding dice can themselves explode, so it sounds like you were getting additional explosions
I used the generic option when you click on the dice symbol.  It came up, I chose the number of dice and clicked the explode button.
What is the behaviour that you were expecting? If you roll exploding dice a bunch of times, you'll inevitably come across scenarios where a 'chain' of explosions occur. If you would like to place an upper bound on the sum of exploding dice, you could do so using a keep/drop function . e.g. /r {8d6, 60 + 0d0}kl1
I was expecting to roll 8d6 and see the individual rolls and not get 12d6 instead.
1467105699

Edited 1467105984
It sounds like, when you rolled [[ 8d6! ]], you got 4 explosions. I recommend checking out the Exploding Dice section of the Roll20 Wiki; there's even a dice roller that you can /roll 8d6! within and see that it's not uncommon for 4 or more explosions to occur.
Is my understanding of the exploding incorrect.  I was thinking all it did when rolling 8d6 would show the individual rolls and not just the sum total.
Compounding Dice do sum the exploded dice; Exploding Dice do not. Is it possible that you're confusing Compounding Dice for Exploding Dice ? If you don't think this is the case, it might be helpful if you posted the roll expressions you've been referring to.