Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Are you a Christian gamer?

I'm a Christian and I'm looking to start a Christian rpg group! Have one player already would love to add more. Sometimes as a Christian you get judged for gaming and it's lame! Would love to have a group of fellow Christ followers to game with!
I have to say, I'm not much of a religious man anymore in the traditional sense, but I did grow up Catholic. I know how this goes, and I think it's a cool idea you have.
Raised by Jehovah's witnesses so yeah I get ya. Sounds cool! 
Oh that must've been brutal then Bambi.
My husband runs a lot of games.. Iron kingdoms, Pathfinders, NWoD and more.. 
I\ll be willingto join yah in this endevor.
I would be interested in finding a group to play with.   I am a newbie but what differences would there be in a Christian game?
If he's up for running pf lemme know 

Edited 1466656850
My dad is a preacher so i was raised as a preachers son could I possibly take part in this?
I am a Christian and would be happy to join if the hours work out.
Madhatter said: Sometimes as a Christian you get judged for gaming and it's lame! Are you talking about being judged by the Roll20 gaming community or the Christian community? Jack Chick's Dark Dungeons really put a lot of gamers on the defensive, and we are still getting past the asinine sentiment that, "Roleplaying games make you commit suicide/kill people/will send you straight to Hell." If you feel you have been discriminated against, is the correct approach really to form an exclusive group based on religion so that you can discriminate against others that are not of that religion? I would like to think we are all here for one purpose and can all get along, whatever our race/religion/gender. I hope you all find the game you are looking for and enjoy your experience on Roll20. It might be beneficial for that group to be of all backgrounds. It never hurts to learn from people different than ourselves.

Edited 1466692005
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
In the 1980s I kicked off a roleplaying games club at a university and quickly learned there was a movement to demonize Dungeons & Dragons. &nbsp;Someone passed me the Jack Chick tract and my jaw dropped. &nbsp;It was asinine, and the tract got very popular among gamers themselves and of course didn't have the intended effect. &nbsp;I later learned the hysteria follows a common pattern that affects every new trend. &nbsp;It even affected chess 1,000 years earlier (when Muslims discovered the game in Persia, they thought it was immoral for talk about killing the king, and so miniature chess-sets, sheepishly smuggled around in men's turbans, became a thing for about 100 years). The first religious anti-D&D tracts were by the Rev. John Cotter and another by the Rev. John S. Torrell, who was so crazy he thought supermarkets taint food every which way they can, and special groceries exist only for Conspiracy members which sell healthy, untainted fruits and vegetables. &nbsp;Certainly part of the tinfoil-hat crowd. So what was the final verdict? &nbsp;A colossal red-herring of an issue, and one which even led to child-abuse of D&D-playing teens as I talked around and networked. &nbsp;The Christian activists were mendacious and were using butchered rulebook quotes with ellipsis marks (...) to claim it was players, not characters, encouraged to fight and kill. &nbsp;Secular liars existed as well, like the makers of the 1991 TV movies HONOR THY MOTHER and CRUEL DOUBT (co-starring a &nbsp;young Gwyneth Paltrow) visibly forging artwork on the cover or into the real Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook. &nbsp;Since when does our culture allow LYING about the contents of what was already a million best-selling book? &nbsp;Are we that far gone that we trample on literacy and say to the masses that reality is what TV says it is, never mind examining D&D for yourselves? D&D is blameless, it has no immorality any more than acting in a Gilbert and Sullivan play "The Mikado" will make you a follower of Shintoism. &nbsp;If you want to form a separate Christian group, that may only have merit in setting a "movie rating" for your games, which I can guess is PG with heavy restrictions. &nbsp;There have been one or two explicitly Christian tabletop RPGs made, like DRAGONRAID, but the best you can say about the rules is they are derivative, and even then some other person, with some other form of Christian beliefs, sharply condemned those games too! &nbsp;There's just no pleasing some people. The 80s "controversy" against Dungeons & Dragons was covered by Michael Stackpole here: <a href="http://www.rpgstudies.net/stackpole/pulling_report.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.rpgstudies.net/stackpole/pulling_report.html</a>
Nice input Pierre, I'll have to read that link later. I enjoy reading articles on the topic, it's certainly an interesting philosophical topic to read about. But in defense Dustin, I don't believe at all that this is something meant to be secularized at all in the slightest. I believe it's more along the lines of comfort levels. I've played with both ends of the spectrum when it comes to religion, and I've found it's a matter of feeling comfortable with the group and game. For instance, using myself as an example here, I'm former military, and as such have developed the habit of cursing. I don't deny it, there's nothing about it for me to deny. At minimum I curse 15-20 times a day, it's just my speech pattern. Some people aren't comfortable with that. And I do use phrases that those who are religious find offensive because they take the Lord's name in vain. That certainly makes some people uncomfortable. Then when it comes to the game itself, there's always topics or subject matter that can affect the group. Once again, myself as reference, I'm about to run a game that deals heavily with the seven sins. While that may be fine with gamers who are religious, there's a lot of undertones to that would make people uncomfortable, such that of wrath bringing on mass killings or lust and the endless possibilities that lead to dark desires so to speak. Hence why I always give a disclaimer to those that I run a game for. If it deals with subject matter that makes people uncomfortable, then they can choose if they want to play, but I'm not going to force them to play because it's not my right to make them go through something that makes them uncomfortable not as a character, but as a person. That's just my two cents. Not trying to turn this into a debate, just giving a view point from my experiences is all.
No debate here sir, and no judgement. Just making an observation about how something like this can be percieved. Best of luck.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Hi, guys. Let's keep this thread on-topic and focus on putting together a group. Thanks!
What times/days are you thinking of? &nbsp;I'm interested, but live in Eastern Europe, so my time zone is GMT+ 3
I have that old DragonRaid game. &nbsp;Was wondering if anyone else even heard about it or even tried or wanted to try it.
My apologies Silvyre. I only intended to help keep wrong impressions out of the way. I like the amount of interest going on though!
I'd be interested to play. &nbsp;I'm pretty new though. &nbsp;But I am definitely looking for a clean game. &nbsp;I have to admit, it doesn't really matter to me if I play with non-christians as long as they are good folks and keep their language clean. &nbsp;Warning though, I'm Mormon! &nbsp;Some people won't believe we're Christians no matter how much I say otherwise. &nbsp;So I thought I'd better state that up front. &nbsp;:) &nbsp;I'm looking for some D&D 5E on Tuesday nights after 7pm CST.
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Interested in helping coordinate as well as DM on occasion. I'm an experienced DM in all Dungeons and Dragons editions. Currently DMing and playing in 5th edition.&nbsp;
I'm interest as well. What gaming system are we thinking?&nbsp;
I've run and played AD&D and Dungeon World, and would be willing to run either one, if the times were right. &nbsp;I'd need to do it at around 8:30 PM GMT +3 (that would be 1:30 EST in the US).
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Anything moving on this? I really want to help set this up. If the op is no longer interested, I may be willing to set up this campaign. Here are the basics for it... 5th edition D&D in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting.&nbsp; All of the characters are part of a large adventuring company/guild in a major city; more than likely Waterdeep. Each character may also be a part of other factions within the city. DMs use google calendar to manage session scheduling. Next upcoming sessions are shown in the Roll20 schedule. 5 seats are available per session.&nbsp; Players show up a bit early reserving their seats. Once 4 players are in, the session begins. Players may have multiple characters within the guild. All characters begin at 1st level and use moderated statistics (point buy ability scores and average hit points). Potential for role-playing politcal PVP between factions exists. This game has the potential (with enough DMs) to be ongoing throughout the week allowing players to conveniently log in to join the action. We are currently doing this with my campaign on a smaller scale of about 12 players. It is a lot of fun!
Sounds interesting. &nbsp;I don't know 5e, so I couldn't DM, but I can play. &nbsp;What about time/time zone?
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
We would be using the universal GMT for time zone as we currently have players in four different time zones. Tomorrow, we play at 22:00 GMT for about 4-6 hours. I am going to talk to my players tomorrow about doing this with our current campaign. Btw, I learned today that this sort of play-style isn't new and is called Westmarches.&nbsp;
That sounds great, but it's too late for me - I'm in GMT+3. &nbsp;Let me know if you start something a bit earlier (about GMT 18:30 would be a good start time).
If y'all are still planning on doing this, I would be willing to join. I'm still pretty new to RPGs,
I would love to get involved if there is space.
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
There hasn't really been anything set up yet. I have been waiting to hear back from the OP. If we don't hear back soon, then it will be up to us to set something up. I would be willing to help do that. Let's give it one week at most.
Keep me in mind, if you plan running things at different times.
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Well, I think we waited long enough for the OP to get the opportunity to moderate this.&nbsp; So let's get this thing started. I would be willing to create the campaign. However I am currently using 70% of my storage as a Plus member.&nbsp; I have the campaign created for my group and all I would have to do is copy it. There is already enough material to play to 5th level.&nbsp; I would need to upgrade to a Pro member and am willing to do so if I can be guaranteed that other players are willing to donate towards the $9.99 per month cost. Donations towards Marketplace art will also be up to the group. We could incorporate low campaign dues to cover these costs as welI since everyone will get to benefit from the available content. I currently own 5 sets. I can provide at least one map per month detailed with adventure information that is easy for any DM to run. Thoughts? Suggestions? To get started, we will need at least one DM per 5 players. So reply to this thread with "Player" if you are not interested in DMing or "DM" if you are. I will invite 5 "Players" in order for every "DM".&nbsp;
DM - if my time zone allows - I'm in GMT+3
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Awesome... sent you an invite. Will promote you to DM soon. You will get to schedule your own games as DM. Now we just need at least 5 players to get things rolling. I would like to get things set up to host the first game as soon as the first week of September if not sooner.
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
We are up and going and have two DMs so far. We are keeping a 1 DM to 5 Player ratio. We have room for two more players at the moment. Apply here... Gamers for Christ
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Only Plus and Pro subscribers can make their games visible to the public ; by default a link such as <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1234567/s" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1234567/s</a> ... is only visible to players already in the game. The best way to handle this situation is to create a Looking for Group listing ; even if you do not enable it for viewing in the LFG Directory you can share the link with others and have a separate Listing Discussion forum just for those potentially interested in your game. As a bonus, anyone who posts to your game's Listing Discussion forum will have a big blue button by their username and all a GM has to is click 'Invite to Game' and an invitation will be sent their way. I hope this helps, happy gaming! :)
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
GenKitty said: Only Plus and Pro subscribers can make their games visible to the public ; by default a link such as <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1234567/s" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1234567/s</a> ... is only visible to players already in the game. The best way to handle this situation is to create a Looking for Group listing ; even if you do not enable it for viewing in the LFG Directory you can share the link with others and have a separate Listing Discussion forum just for those potentially interested in your game. As a bonus, anyone who posts to your game's Listing Discussion forum will have a big blue button by their username and all a GM has to is click 'Invite to Game' and an invitation will be sent their way. I hope this helps, happy gaming! :) Thank you! Much appreciated!