Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Roll20 Update 7/13: Library Rework

Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi Rollers, We’re excited to roll out a major overhaul to Your Library. Our goal with this revamp was to offer better organizational tools, support mass editing of assets, and lay the groundwork for better integration down the road. Here’s what to expect: Folder structure for your library, nestable down to five levels just like the journal folders. Quick access to your purchased content in an organized fashion. Make copies of your purchased and uploaded assets as many times as you want to sort and organize in your folder structure to best suit your needs. Preview assets by mousing over them. Pop-out folder view for mass tagging, deleting, and moving of assets from folder to folder. Things you can expect to do: Copy entire sets or individual assets from your purchased Premium Assets to your library for organization and extra search tagging. Alphabetically sort folders. Filter Recent Uploads to only show assets that aren’t already in Your Library. Bulk Delete images from your Recent Uploads to free up Library space. (Warning, this can’t be undone) Select all items in a folder and add or remove a tag from each. Search Your Library, the Marketplace, and the Web with a single search. Let us know what you think. Important Note on Recent Uploads (READ THIS CAREFULLY) if you delete a Recent Upload, you are really deleting it! That means if it is used in a game it will stop working! So be sure that you don't delete things you might want to keep around. You can copy and delete things as often as you want in your folder structure but if you delete it from Recent Uploads the asset will be gone for good.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ye-ha, let the hours of organising begin!! #geekheaven
I don't appear to be able to add anything to my library anymore - or at least if I can, I no longer see where I am able to do this. Trying to get things set up for my game this weekend but I can't add a custom map to my library. Sadness. 
Where can we see how much data is in our library?
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
You can drag any number of things onto the tabletop and they'll be automatically included in your library under Recent Uploads:
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
SkyCaptainXIII said: Where can we see how much data is in our library? <a href="https://app.roll20.net/account/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/account/</a> =&gt; Storage Quota
You are a gentleman and a scholar, Steve K. Thank you!

Edited 1468426390
How do you delete items from your Recent Uploads? When right clicking those items, it doesn't bring up the expected menu. EDIT: Never mind, figured out what was intended -- single clicking on a 'recent upload' item. Though I do would appreciate the ability to simply right click without expanding the 'folder view' of your recent uploads. That aside, cool update!
Steve K. said: SkyCaptainXIII said: Where can we see how much data is in our library? <a href="https://app.roll20.net/account/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/account/</a> =&gt; Storage Quota Any way to get this information added at the top of the art library in game?

Edited 1468429007
Maybe my opinion will change after a bit of use, but this new format feels clumsier even when doing common tasks. I feel like I'm fighting the arrangement rather than flowing with it. At first glance it *appears* as if there is better organization (certainly of the premium stuff), but the UI and ebb of it all doesn't feel that way as I use it more. For example, searching for something in my own library causes a jumble of premium items and a jumble of results from Google to appear, and I'm often left waiting to see the results of my own content between these other elements. Elements that I'm usually not interested in seeing as it is.&nbsp;Why aren't results from my own library the very first thing I see when, you know, searching my library? I know why, and so do you. Irritating . With search, I have to mouse over to get a decent view of the results?&nbsp;Why can't I control the display size of results, and even set whether I want premium and/or web items (or even my own content) to appear when I search by default?&nbsp; Adding items to my library is now completed by dragging them to the tabletop? &nbsp;Dragging them to the tabletop is not intuitive and not always desirable. You've already had one user asking how to upload at all. Clicking the "Add" button and expecting to be able to choose what I want to do--upload images, create folders, etc.--is what the mind naturally reaches for, and is probably what most people expect. Seems a flub by whomever does your UI. Again, this is just a cursory experience with it, albeit a moderately irritating one. Doesn't feel like a great improvement to me so far.
What happened to having favorited items on the library? I can't see any of my previously favorite items now Actually, I can't seem to find any way to favorite items from the web, was that functionality removed? I can "copy to library" the free items from the store, but I can't do that with any assets from the web. Gonna be honest I don't really see any advantages to this change, specially making the items really small and forcing me to mouse over every single item to see what it is.
Will there be a way to upload from within the game again for small screen users not easily able to use 2 windows?
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Grimtina said: Will there be a way to upload from within the game again for small screen users not easily able to use 2 windows? You mean like a window pop-up that lets you browse to files to upload? That's something we will likely add in the next few weeks.&nbsp;
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I'm probably being thick, but the folder system does not work for me. It allowed me to put one asset in the folder, and I can't add anything else to that folder. Also, I've got a weird random tag that is added to the one asset that I do have in a folder. It looks a lot like an object ID.

Edited 1468444142
Ravenknight
KS Backer
So much graphic to sort... I got my weekend cut out for me. XD ...I do miss my favorite items though. Will this feature return? Also I want to be able to filter out marketplace and google hits when browsing my own library.&nbsp;

Edited 1468444067
How do you upload images to this (ie: tokens saved to your computer)? Edit: Solved my issue :)
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Ravenknight said: So much graphic to sort... I got my weekend cut out for me. XD ...I do miss my favorite items though. Will this feature return? Also I want to be able to filter out marketplace and google hits when browsing my own library.&nbsp; Better searching filters is something we're discussing.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Scott C. said: I'm probably being thick, but the folder system does not work for me. It allowed me to put one asset in the folder, and I can't add anything else to that folder. Also, I've got a weird random tag that is added to the one asset that I do have in a folder. It looks a lot like an object ID. Scott do you think you could take a screen shot and PM it to me or email it to <a href="mailto:steve@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">steve@roll20.net</a>
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Sure, I'll do that when I get home tonight.
Steve K. said: Grimtina said: Will there be a way to upload from within the game again for small screen users not easily able to use 2 windows? You mean like a window pop-up that lets you browse to files to upload? That's something we will likely add in the next few weeks.&nbsp; Yes! Superb, that'll solve all probs I ever had then :-)
Scott C. said: I'm probably being thick, but the folder system does not work for me. It allowed me to put one asset in the folder, and I can't add anything else to that folder. Also, I've got a weird random tag that is added to the one asset that I do have in a folder. It looks a lot like an object ID. Same here, nor to any other folders after I did that.
how do we delete an item that is no longer in the recently uploaded section?

Edited 1468452745
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Vincent R. said: how do we delete an item that is no longer in the recently uploaded section? You can right click (context-click) any item in your library to delete it; folders, images, assets. You can mass delete seleted items from the pop-out when you click on an asset.
How does one upload a new .jpg or .png to the website?
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Kuffo K. said: How does one upload a new .jpg or .png to the website?
I may be just having a tough time getting used to the new system and change always takes time to get used to but this new way of uploading files and looking at your library of previous uploaded assets feels awkward to me. Dragging images onto the "table" so that they are uploaded seems out of left field compared to the old system where I was simply asked if I wanted to upload files when I went to "add". Still trying to figure out the rest, like how to look at all my previous images I uploaded and whatnot but overall this doesn't come off as an improvement yet. Time will tell though I guess :/
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Gunner P. said: I may be just having a tough time getting used to the new system and change always takes time to get used to but this new way of uploading files and looking at your library of previous uploaded assets feels awkward to me. Dragging images onto the "table" so that they are uploaded seems out of left field compared to the old system where I was simply asked if I wanted to upload files when I went to "add". Still trying to figure out the rest, like how to look at all my previous images I uploaded and whatnot but overall this doesn't come off as an improvement yet. Time will tell though I guess :/ The dragging directly onto the field to upload is not new. That functionality has always been there. I do agree that it is weird that they removed a feature for an upgrade though In other notes: @Steve K. I figured out what my problem with moving to folders was. i was grabbing the name instead of the handle on the item. Forgot that it works like the journal does now. I am still seeing that weird ID like tag though. Here's a screenshot of some of my assets, the left and right ones are in the folder, the middle one is not. (also since I can now add to folders, I can confirm this tag is an effect of being in a folder.
How do you actually put things in folders? When I drag an icon into a folder or subfolder, it just goes next to it, not inside.

Edited 1468464294
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Scott C. said: Gunner P. said: I may be just having a tough time getting used to the new system and change always takes time to get used to but this new way of uploading files and looking at your library of previous uploaded assets feels awkward to me. Dragging images onto the "table" so that they are uploaded seems out of left field compared to the old system where I was simply asked if I wanted to upload files when I went to "add". Still trying to figure out the rest, like how to look at all my previous images I uploaded and whatnot but overall this doesn't come off as an improvement yet. Time will tell though I guess :/ The dragging directly onto the field to upload is not new. That functionality has always been there. I do agree that it is weird that they removed a feature for an upgrade though In other notes: @Steve K. I figured out what my problem with moving to folders was. i was grabbing the name instead of the handle on the item. Forgot that it works like the journal does now. I am still seeing that weird ID like tag though. Here's a screenshot of some of my assets, the left and right ones are in the folder, the middle one is not. (also since I can now add to folders, I can confirm this tag is an effect of being in a folder. The weird ID starting with an "f|" is a way the folders are searchable and part of how the folder structure works. The view you're looking at is going to be phased out once all of that functionality is in the app. You can ignore that tag. If you delete it, your item will stop being in that folder. File browsing to upload is a feature we intend to add in the next few weeks.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
It works just like the journal folders, make sure your folders are expanded before you try moving them into a folder.
I'm not going to lie, this seems really clunky and a huge time-eater when trying to upload things and search for a token without preparation. Naturally everyone wants to be prepared before a game, with all your tokens and maps where you want them, but if I want to upload something, I'm going to have a separate tab for it, and then likely have to refresh my current page in order to even find it in the new token search column. I do like the ability to put them in folders, and doing the drag and drop directly to the map is kind of nice, the update seemed preemptive to me.&nbsp; All in all, I think it has it's pros and cons and I'll see how it works out in the future. I think my only major complaint once I get past the hoops I have to jump through in order to upload is how TINY the previews are in the token search box. I know I can hover my mouse over them to make it larger, but I lose the ability to search at a glance. Either way, keep it up devs, change is change and I look forward to seeing how it turns out.
+1 to the previews being too small. Who cares that it's called DnD_token_Asset#40.PNG? Why does that take up half the screen. Having a really hard time putting images onto the map. I posted this video elsewhere but thought I would do it here too.&nbsp; <a href="http://screencast.com/t/yru4ViyCv" rel="nofollow">http://screencast.com/t/yru4ViyCv</a>
oh and i can't remove my folders in the art library

Edited 1468480884
Just wanna say, this is an amazing update i really really love how streamlined everything is, however i really liked being able to see the Everything images larger and more visible, Now i was just wondering if there was a way to have it less condensed, or if a toggle was ever an option in the future? Previews are definately too small, and dragging everything images are far more difficult to add to the map and actually has gotten clunkier. So using all the roll20 assets has been made much easier, however everything not in their assets actually has been made worse
Images from the web, how do we import them into the game? Or are you forcing us to eat up our own storage in the game?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Derinax said: Images from the web, how do we import them into the game? Or are you forcing us to eat up our own storage in the game? Simply drag and drop them from the search (by their name) as before:
Ziechael said: Derinax said: Images from the web, how do we import them into the game? Or are you forcing us to eat up our own storage in the game? Simply drag and drop them from the search (by their name) as before: Ah, you're grabbing the link, I was trying to grab the image itself. ok

Edited 1468510264
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Edit: Moved to a Bug Report thread.

Edited 1468515888
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
While I'm not quite as unhappy with the new system as others are. I do actually think this will be better in the long run once people's huge backlog of unorganized assets are put in order. The thing that I am very confused by is that there is no folder system in the out of game library. This would seem like a feature that should have been implemented across the board rather than only in game. Additonal note: The inability to edit or view tags in game is also an example of implementation that could have been improved. Essentially, I'd like to see the out of game library and the in game library function identically, with any functionality that is exclusive to one atm being carried over to the other.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Scott C. said: Additonal note: The inability to edit or view tags in game is also an example of implementation that could have been improved. Essentially, I'd like to see the out of game library and the in game library function identically. You can edit tags by clicking on the asset, opening the pop-out folder view. Clicking on the asset's tags and adding, editing, or removing them there. You can also mass add or delete tags to everything in a folder all from inside the app.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
There was an error where certain users were not getting their previously "starred" web search images in their Recent Uploads. We pushed out a bugfix this morning to hopefully resolve this issue. Let us know if that's still a problem.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
We've heard your feedback on the search images defaulting to the list view being too small for many users. We're investigating different search options to allow the user to set the search settings that work best for them.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Steve K. said: Scott C. said: Additonal note: The inability to edit or view tags in game is also an example of implementation that could have been improved. Essentially, I'd like to see the out of game library and the in game library function identically. You can edit tags by clicking on the asset, opening the pop-out folder view. Clicking on the asset's tags and adding, editing, or removing them there. You can also mass add or delete tags to everything in a folder all from inside the app. Ah, so you can, although the tags need to be more accessible (especially since they were pretty much our only organizational option up to this point)
As far as we know, after the bugfix this morning all assets that you previously uploaded/tagged/starred should now be appearing either under the Premium Assets section (in the cast of Marketplace packs, Pro sets, etc.) or the Your Library section (in the case of uploads and web search tags). If you are still missing items from your library that you had before, please let us know. In addition, all of these items should be showing up in the search results when you perform a search for a keyword. Again, if that's not happening, let us know. As Steve said, we're taking feedback into consideration and will be making a few adjustments and adding some more options regarding the actual layout/functionality of the new system, but I just want to make sure we aren't missing any issues that are keeping people from accessing things they already had access to before.
can confirm im still unable to find favorited/starred items i saved to my library before the update in the search while in the VTT, i can find my uploaded items fine however. though i am relieved to know that was a bug and not something implemented intentionally ^^
I also confirm that the update did nothing to fix this issue! I still can't get anything from my library to show up when i type in the tags name. It still gives me stuff from the web and not my library! Please give us the old one back!

Edited 1468522579
So I have all of my favorited items I believe. &nbsp;The issue I am now facing is putting stuff into folders. &nbsp;I put a couple of items into one folder, worked fine. &nbsp;Then I became brave and put a bunch of town maps into a folder. &nbsp;Now I no longer have any other folders showing. &nbsp;This is just kinda frustrating. Edit: and when I do make a folder open the popup to put stuff into nothing is shown under the town drop down item on the art library section. &nbsp;I can only get to the item if I open a pop up that shows all of the items in the "folder" and there is folder with the name I used, double click that and it is in there. &nbsp;&nbsp;
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
We just rolled out a couple of polishes. There is now a direct upload assets button for file browsing uploads.&nbsp; We also have made it so dragging an asset by it's&nbsp;organizational&nbsp;handle (the thing under the picture when you mouse over the item) is now able to be dropped&nbsp;on the tabletop to add the asset to your page. This should cut down on the confusion of how to add assets from your library into your games. Let us know what you think or if you run into any issues with these new features.

Edited 1468529866
Will there be a way to add web content to your library in the future? Also, for the folder view window, having a way of going up a level while in the view would be a very useful feature.&nbsp;

Edited 1468533716
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
Dongus Maximus said: can confirm im still unable to find favorited/starred items i saved to my library before the update in the search while in the VTT, i can find my uploaded items fine however. though i am relieved to know that was a bug and not something implemented intentionally ^^ Brian A. said: I also confirm that the update did nothing to fix this issue! I still can't get anything from my library to show up when i type in the tags name. It still gives me stuff from the web and not my library! Please give us the old one back! Can you give us some specific examples so I can take a look? Like, what you're typing the search box and what you're expecting to find but aren't finding (specifically, what "type" of content it was (something you uploaded, something starred from a web search, etc.) and what the name of item was or a brief description so we can take a look and hopefully find it).
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
I accidentally replied in the wrong thread ( here ), but I still&nbsp;(4pm Mountain) am not seeing the same results in my search in-game vs what I see when I search my images under marketplace/my images. I used the search term boar which brings up 4 results in "My Library" if I go in under the Marketplace/My Library tab, but if I search in game, I only get 2 results from in My Library: the two missing results were ones I had found in "From the Web" previously and starred. Note that you can see the first of the 'missing' images showing up in the 'From the Web' section (third one down) but it's not showing up as one of my collected images in the in-game search.