Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Gerald Rothschild

Some thing we might consider. If Gerald is coming back as the Chief Engineer, we might want to hire him early on retainer for 2 very important details. 1 he can over see the construction of our new baby. And 2 he can start doing research on our pre-Magee goodies. He could do this at first with the help of Izek as he knows Darrian and has some idea of what hes looking at, at least to a small  point. Even if we cant use them, knowing what they are and how they work will increase the value of them by orders of magnitude. I believe that The Darrians would pay a fortune for the 3 items and even more if there is a instruction manual for them  and they don't need to do the research them selves. Gerald has Engineering 3 and a EDU of 13 giving a + 3 but only an int of 8(unlees he went to the Darrian home world then he would have an int of 11. hahah All in all he would be able to at least come up with some ideas as to whats, what with the items.
Regarding # 1 - Oversight of starship construction requires Trade (space construction).  Yes, I know that there is a High Guard Skill for such, but I haven't included it in the available skills; just as I have not included Engineering (cybernetics) and Engineering (psi technology) and Ironmongering.  Engineering can however make sure that certain systems are seated and connected properly, conduct calibrations and test-fire and such.  But the overall ship requires Trade (space construction) in Pakkrat's Traveller Universe.  This is one of the reasons, that Gevaudan took the time on the way to the Darrian Confederation to study that skill, so he could be a starship architect himself. #2  Pre-Maghiz technology is researchable.  Being hindered by a precursor dialect of the Darrian language imposes a -DM penalty, even with Izek's help unless Izek has the Language or Linquistics Skill.  Translator software can help a little as well.  The system we will use is cumulative Effect of rolls added up over time of research and trial and error.  A roll requires a week of dedicated work to attempt headway towards more Effect.  Though the first piece has been identified, there is more work in applying the Hyperspace Map to more subsectors than just Darrian subsector and its surrounding subsectors. Gerald is indeed a valuable asset to an Engineering crew.  With that Education trait, he will be the assurance we need to avoid misjumps or inaccurate jumps, especially if he is patient and takes one or two time bands with his rolls.  As a Referee, I'm more worried about the future Astrogator and the Pilot.  Gev was unique in that he could do both and almost simultaneously with his Ship Systems Integration, Piloting Heightener cybernetics assisted by his 'Gator laptop. Remember that we have had to sell the Ares , the Sword of Ares and Spear of Ares Cutters, thus the three major components to this Pre-Maghiz technology are sitting in an unused barn at Argentill Vineyards until we can move them to the Athena upon completion, unless we take some time to research them there on the estate of Marquis Sebastien Maddox.  Then there's security of the modules to think about.
I think we’d want to do a few test-flights in a smaller test-ship first, same as with the previous artifact.
It might be a good time for Gerald to learn Trade (space construction). It would be in line with his skill set.
VIC, does Gerald have Trade 1+? If he does, and Trade(space construction) is like Gun Combat, Gerald would have a 0 in it by default. That is unless Pakkrat decides that Trade(S C) is a seperate skill altogether. 
Sadly.... Unlike other skills with specialties, levels in the Trade skill do not grant the ability to use other specialties at skill level 0. Each specialty must be learned individually. Someone with a Trade skill of 0 has a general grasp of working for a living but little experience beyond the most menial jobs.
Oh well, I tried to make it so Gerald could start earlier, but looks like the Core Rules had other ideas.

Edited 1469166546
HE can learn it as its being constructed, and he can act as quality control of almost every system on the ship as he is as good with ships as you guys are with guns. It will take him about 23 weeks to get Trade (space construction) 1, although i suspect it might be slightly longer.
How good is he at fishing for bugs? Charoux would appreciate a weekly bug report...
Admin 3 Physical Science Electronics 2, mechanic 2, manoeuvre Drive 3, Jump drive 3, Electronics 2, Life support 2, power 3 and Space craft 2. I'm sure he had Computer 1 and Com's 1, but that might have changed during swap over. But yer, hes able to over see quite a lot of the ships construction and be trained to assist with the final fit out and inspection, he should be able to fininsh his training if he in 23-24 weeks leaving him able to cover see in full the last 6 months of its build. If he had access to the type of library we are planing for our new ship the time spent would be halved i believe.
The library is some thing we all might take advantage of while on planet. If available.