Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

The map sticks to a side

This is really annoying, I'm trying to make a map in roll20 and its always done this and its always been but look it refuses to let me zoom out for perspective. And it makes things well its just annoying and after years of dealing with it waiting for it to be fixed I've finally got fed up with it. Fix it. Now.   . . . Please.
Gold
Forum Champion
What zoom % level are you on, Devlin? (Found under the magnifying glass icon on the left toolbar). &nbsp;Based on the slider at the top-right in your screenshot it looks like you are not zoomed quite all the way out there. All-the-way-zoomed-out is 10% on the magnifying glass tool drop-down, Roll20 doesn't get any smaller than 10% but that should be far enough out to make your Page with that few-Units size (25x30?) into a little box within the grey-hatch background. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Toolbox_Overview" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Toolbox_Overview</a>
You aren't understanding. Its 25 by 25, that bottom part of the map you see there doesn't actually exist. It just insists on having either the top or bottom stretch out like that.
Gold
Forum Champion
I understand. If you zoom out more, it should cease to have the appearance of extra border squares, and will begin to appear to float as a square 25x25 map in the middle of the grey-hatch background. Example screenshot (this is at 30% zoom on my monitor, might need a smaller zoom level like 10% or 20% if you have a lower resolution screen),
If I zoom all the way out it works but then its too tiny. Also I can't actually use the magnifying glass I have to use the slider. When I try the magnifying glass the drop down vanishes when I hover my mouse on it. I'm on the dev server by the way.

Edited 1469464623
Gold
Forum Champion
Alternately, I've found you get a lot more freedom of Panning around the page if you make the Roll20 Page much larger than your intended Map, and put your Map somewhere in the middle of the Page. Create margins for yourself, giving a lot more flexibility in scrolling any direction. In your situation I would like to recommend trying this method. Example screenshot of this, 25x25 map area inside a 220x180 page at 30% zoom, giving you lots of extra margins so that nothing is appearing to stretch or float, and you won't even see the grey-hatch background unless you scroll far to either side. In this technique you set your own background color in the Page Settings.
Gold
Forum Champion
Devlin M. said: If I zoom all the way out it works but then its too tiny. Also I can't actually use the magnifying glass I have to use the slider. When I try the magnifying glass the drop down vanishes when I hover my mouse on it. I'm on the dev server by the way. Sorry about the trouble with magnifying glass on Dev server. If you would like I will provide troubleshooting steps for that here, or please start a new thread in Bug Reports for specifically that issue.
I already have a work around actually I zoom up close, draw a single yellow line through the bottom row of blocks then zoom back out so I can get my desired perspective. I'm not posting this because I want a work around, I'm posting this because I want a "We'll be sure to add this into the next round of bug fixes! Thanks for supporting roll20!"
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hey Devlin, I feel your pain. I have also had this issue, and it's super frustrating. I do not have time to try and fix it now, I have a ton of other things on my plate, but I have officially created a bug ticket and will take a look at it next time I have some free time.
Thanks