Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Newbie Seeking to Learn

Edited 1470882445
Hi, I am a totally new to tabletop roleplaying games and while I've watch Geek & Sundry on Youtube constantly, Ive never had the courage to go to a real D&D event at my local comic book shop. Mostly because I didn't want to end up, awkwardly, being the only girl at the event. Hopefully someone would have the patience and want to help me learn how to play D&D or other games on Roll20? Days/Times Available :: Timezone CT Weekdays:   M,T,W,Th,F, - 6pm-11pm Sat Sunday - 10am-8pm / 10pm-3am Games Interested In Genres Interested In D&D (3.5 & 5e) WoD Exalted Mutants and Masterminds All Flesh Must Be Eaten Pokemon Tabletop United Most likely any others I can be introduced too that involve the genres I am interested in Apocalyptic Zombies Post Apocalyptic Horror Superhero Fantasy Supernatural Vampires Werewolfs ...etc

Edited 1469838488
Plenty of people here on Roll20 are willing to help introduce new players to role playing games. To help GMs who might have space for you in their games, you should state if there are specific days/times when you're available to play, as well as what time zone you're in. Also, if there's any specific editions of D&D you're interested in, or other game systems & genres you might be interested in trying. Good luck!

Edited 1469838975
MG
Plus
Good points Brett. &nbsp;I am running a Night's Black Agents scenario in about 30 minutes 6PM PDT and could use 2 or 3 players if you're interested in Criminal VS Vampires set in 1950s Memphis. &nbsp;New Players are welcomed and I run a subset of the rules so it's easy to learn and you only need to roll a single D6 :) &nbsp;If you're interested let me know and I'll send you an invite link but more info here: &nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/50804/nights-bl" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/50804/nights-bl</a>...
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If you're looking for some help with using Roll20's virtual tabletop for running any sort of game, the interactive tutorial is a great guide for new users:&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/editor/tutorial/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/editor/tutorial/</a>
Brett E. said: Plenty of people here on Roll20 are willing to help introduce new players to role playing games. To help GMs who might have space for you in their games, you should state if there are specific days/times when you're available to play, as well as what time zone you're in. Also, if there's any specific editions of D&D you're interested in, or other game systems & genres you might be interested in trying. Good luck! I'll be sure to put that information up on my first post. Thanks for the advice Brett! Stephen L. said: If you're looking for some help with using Roll20's virtual tabletop for running any sort of game, the interactive tutorial is a great guide for new users:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/editor/tutorial/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/editor/tutorial/</a> Thanks for the suggestion! I spent the entire night going over that tutorial (which is the reason I'm replying to you guys so late) but was still confused as to how to actually play a game. Thus, I retreated to Youtube to watch some Roll20 videos on roleplaying games like Star Wars and D&D.&nbsp;
I'm in the exact same situation as you, although I know an ex-colleague who will DM a game which I will join on Thursday. Here are the steps I followed so far: Go through the entire Roll20 tutorial (don't worry if some of the stuff is complicated or doesn't make sense, it's mostly for DMs) Choose a game (in my case, D&D 5th edition) Get the player handbook, it teaches you everything you need to know about the game (D&D 5E player's handbook is about 320 pages, but you don't have to read all the skills and spells that you're not interested in, so I'd say a 150-page read maybe) Create a character (even if you haven't found a group yet), it took me around 5 hours I'm also looking for a D&D 5E group in Europe, to play on Monday to Wednesday evening, or at any time during the weekends. @DarksideQueen if you wanna spend some time learning some D&D together, or you find a group that accepts more beginners, please send me a message :)
I would say that before you spend money on a system that you might not even enjoy, maybe check out systems that don't need such financial investment (which in turn might make you hesitant to then try out any other systems). As it happens (you probably knew this was coming) I am currently running a campaign that is coming up on its second official session (aside from character creation). Unfortunately one of my players did not show up and hasn't communicated with me since last Saturday so we are looking for a replacement. The system is Dungeon World which is not in your preferred systems, but basically its a fantasy system that is a bit more fiction-first (what would your character do in this situation instead of 'let me look at my character sheet') - in my humble opinion. We play Saturdays for at least 4 hours. If you would like to read more about the campaign itself and everything around it, please don't hesitate to check out the listing (&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/52393/dw-two-wo" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/52393/dw-two-wo</a>... ) or contact me via pm.
Hail to thee, DarksideQueen! My name is Caj and i've been DMing Dungeons & Dragons for decades, However, i have falling in love with "13th Age," created by the designers of D&D 3e and D&D 4e. It's very similar to D&D, in that is a d20 fantasy table top RPG, with some fun differences. One of the things i do is run one-shot adventures, which is basically a stand-alone adventure completed in one night, from start to finish. It's great for players new to the game, as i walk you through character creation, provide all the resources so you don't have to purchase anything first, and teach you the game as we play, so you don't have to worry about memorizing things before you start. Also, because it's a one-shot, you don't have to commit to a long term campaign. You can try it out to see if you like it first. Send me a PM if this sounds interesting to you. I love running the one-shots and introducing new players to the genre. Whatever you decide, enjoy, fun, be well, and fight safe! --C.
Send me a PM. I'm looking to start something aimed at new players such as yourself. The system would be Pathfinder, and I have no issues teaching someone with little to no experience.
Updated the front page~
Hello there! I love working with newer players and was planning a possible 5e game for weekdays or Saturday or running a scifi game, depending on interest is by the new players. Pm me if you'd like more details.
DarksideQueen said: Hi, I am a totally new to tabletop roleplaying games and while I've watch Geek & Sundry on Youtube constantly, Ive never had the courage to go to a real D&D event at my local comic book shop. Mostly because I didn't want to end up, awkwardly, being the only girl at the event. Hopefully someone would have the patience and want to help me learn how to play D&D or other games on Roll20? Days/Times Available :: Timezone CT Weekdays: &nbsp; M,T,W,Th,F, - 6pm-11pm Sat Sunday - 10am-8pm / 10pm-3am Games Interested In Genres Interested In D&D (3.5 & 5e) WoD Exalted Mutants and Masterminds All Flesh Must Be Eaten Pokemon Tabletop United Most likely any others I can be introduced too that involve the genres I am interested in Apocalyptic Zombies Post Apocalyptic Horror Superhero Fantasy Supernatural Vampires Werewolfs ...etc Updated~
I have a game of DnD 3.5 starting with a prep session Tomorrow (Friday) 7pm est. There should be another female player already on the roster. Adding you would bring us up to 5. Let me know if you're interested.
I'm currently involved in an Exalted game with a female GM and one open player slot. It's on Fridays and unfortunately starts one hour earlier than your availability. Feel free to check it out&nbsp; here if you're flexible.

Edited 1471099456
I got a D&D 5e campaign every Wed night at 7:00pm EST. (6:00pm CST) Soon planning to move it to Friday nights though. Send me a PM if you're interested and want more details.
E. A. said: I'm currently involved in an Exalted game with a female GM and one open player slot. It's on Fridays and unfortunately starts one hour earlier than your availability. Feel free to check it out&nbsp; here if you're flexible. Already invested in an Exalted Game with a group of friends but thanks for the invite!
DarksideQueen said: DarksideQueen said: Hi, I am a totally new to tabletop roleplaying games and while I've watch Geek & Sundry on Youtube constantly, Ive never had the courage to go to a real D&D event at my local comic book shop. Mostly because I didn't want to end up, awkwardly, being the only girl at the event. Hopefully someone would have the patience and want to help me learn how to play D&D or other games on Roll20? Days/Times Available :: Timezone CT Weekdays: &nbsp; M,T,W,Th,F, - 6pm-11pm Sat Sunday - 10am-8pm / 10pm-3am Games Interested In Genres Interested In D&D (3.5 & 5e) WoD Exalted Mutants and Masterminds All Flesh Must Be Eaten Pokemon Tabletop United Most likely any others I can be introduced too that involve the genres I am interested in Apocalyptic Zombies Post Apocalyptic Horror Superhero Fantasy Supernatural Vampires Werewolfs ...etc Updated~