Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Interest in D&D Next?

I am a long-time gamer. Like some of the folks around here, I started with the original D&D red box and then advanced to 2e. I've run and played a lot of old school games including TORG, RIFTS, VtG, and Twilight 2000. More recently, I've gotten into game design and indie games -- Riddle of Steel, Universalis, Dogs in the Vineyard. But all that seems like a life-time ago. I haven't done much since 2007. But! I've recently discovered my old books and an itch to play that I haven't felt since...well, 2007. I'm poking around D&D Next and I must admit that I am more than a little intrigued. So, I'm curious if anyone has any interest in trying a few sessions in a custom world I've built. I'll take up to 5 players. You're quintuplets -- very unusual. Brothers (and possibly sisters) who live in the town of Limthyre. Their father is a fisherman and the mother died in childbirth. They generally help out with the business, but business has been slow lately, so they have been taking other odd jobs around the city. I'll pre-gen the characters, but you can suggest alterations once you claim one of the siblings as your own. We can start with a couple of sessions and then expand it to tackle a larger campaign if there is interest. Here's the pitch: The characters live in the great City-State of Limthyre at a critical turning point in the nation's history. Thousands of refugees threaten to riot, rumors of the Dark Plague are taking hold in the city, and the deep catacombs beneath the city are, once again, active. The City-State is run by the Academy of Saint Ignatius. It's a university-church whose reach stretches beyond the City State of Limthyre, but Limthyre is its home -- where Saint Ignatius actually lives. The refugee camp has been around for years, but the last three months have seen its size nearly tripled. The Academy has done what they can to help. Some claim they are not doing enough -- others too much. Others, still, want to see the camp torched and all refugees killed on sight. Within the city walls, death is virtually unheard of. The understanding of human biology combined with the power of magical healing, the Academy has learned many ways to cure people of many illnesses, including regrowing lost limbs and even reversing the aging process -- for the right tithe, of course. The rumors of the Black Plague are spreading like wildfire. People know people who saw a refugee with the plague. Someone even claims to know someone who knows an actually Citizen with the plague. And many are starting to believe that the Academy is powerless to stop the spread of the Plague. To make matters worse, the catacombs beneath the city, are showing signs of life. For hundreds of years, various wards and protection spells have kept evil at bay, but more than a few people have gone missing in the last few weeks. Howling can be heard echoing through the sewers and tunnels beneath the city. And this is where our adventure starts: Five fishmonger sons return home one evening to find their father taken to bed, his day's work undone. He is coughing up a black, oily substance. Is it the Dark Plague? Something worse? Can the Academy Hospital help? Do you dare tell the Academy? If you're interested, respond here or email me at <a href="mailto:rickcecil@gmail.com" rel="nofollow">rickcecil@gmail.com</a>. We'll do this on roll20.net and will try it with video+voice. I'm thinking we'll game one night a week (I'll throw out Mondays or Tuesdays as a suggestion, but feel free to suggest other days.) We'll start around 7:30 or 8p Central Standard Time. I can go until about 11:30 or midnight. Thanks! Rick
Hmmm you peeked my interest.
Very interesting story I would love to play. Mons-thurs work well for me cant really do other days. Hope to hear from you
I could give it a try.
I really wish I could play in this game ... I like where D&D Next is going.
Love the response. Sounds like we have at least three folks interested. I have someone else that might join us, too. Would y'all be able to start the week of the 24th or the week of the 31st?
I could do either or its really up to the rest of the group to decide when we play. I have a few questions though. Is video really required? I can do voice np but I dont have a camera hope this is not a problem. Also how would we go about making our characters and such?
C4D, I'm going to pre-gen the characters and you guys can choose. I figure that will just be the easiest way to get it started. Ideally, too, I'd get an hour-long session with folks individually before the game starts to iron out the character and make stat and background adjustments as needed. If you have special requests, do let me know. Everyone is human, but all classes are fair game. The Cleric is the most troublesome for me right now -- but that's a setting issue that I think I can work out. So if there's something of interest that you want to play, do let me know. Thanks!
I'm not familiar, but I spose I would be up. Can you just let me know what I need as far as resources?
Hi Patrick. What do you mean by resources? You can download the D&D Next play test rules here: <a href="https://www.wizards.com/DnD/DnDNext.aspx" rel="nofollow">https://www.wizards.com/DnD/DnDNext.aspx</a> A microphone is needed. A webcam is ideal, but not critical. I think roll20 provides functionality for die rolling, so no dice needed. I'm still working out the character sheets. Not 100% sure if roll20 provides ability for that or not. Will let you know once those are setup.
hey rickcecil, if theres any space left in the group i would love to join. the story sounds really great and i think it would be fun to role play in it as well. let me know if theres any space and i can start next week too :)
So, it i spooking like Thursday would be the best day for me. How does next Thursday look to folks? We can get review characters and do some story setup...and if there is time, we can start the first story. I'd like to start around 7:30p ct and no later than 7:45. Email me at <a href="mailto:rickcecil@gmail.com" rel="nofollow">rickcecil@gmail.com</a> and I will get you the link for the campaign in roll20.
hhhhmmmmmmmmm ive been playing D&D 3.5 for a few years i think this might give me the ideas for a great start in my own campaign any room left?
If its possible could we meet on an early date to introduce/review characters if you can not I understand. Also the roll 20 ingame voice/video is very buggy for me at least is it possible to host voice and video on skype instead?
Abe C, I still have room left. Only two players have confirmed their interest in the game, so I have three slots remaining. If you're interested, shoot me an email at <a href="mailto:rickcecil@gmail.com" rel="nofollow">rickcecil@gmail.com</a> and I will add you to the campaign. You will need to download and accept the TOS from WoTC before we play. <a href="https://www.wizards.com/DnD/DnDNext.aspx" rel="nofollow">https://www.wizards.com/DnD/DnDNext.aspx</a> Also, C4D, if the roll20 stuff is buggy, we can either try a hangout or we can do Skype. I'll sort that out before we begin. We will probably spend most of the time next Thursday working on Characters. We can also sort things out via email, too. If a live session is needed before next Thursday, I am open to that, too.
Hey, folks. I have three people confirmed. There are two more slots available. If you're interested, shoot me an email at <a href="mailto:rickcecil@gmail.com" rel="nofollow">rickcecil@gmail.com</a> and I will add you to the campaign. You will need to download and accept the TOS from WoTC before we play. <a href="https://www.wizards.com/DnD/DnDNext.aspx" rel="nofollow">https://www.wizards.com/DnD/DnDNext.aspx</a> I am working on characters, now. The earlier you get in, the more choice of character you have. -R
Is this still going on?
Sure is, C4d. You should have gotten a couple of emails from me last night. I have 4 players confirmed -- and a 5th on the way. First day will be 12/27 at 7:30p.