Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[interest check] RWBY Mutants & Masterminds

Edited 1472100886
I have recently been introduced to the Mutants and Masterminds system, and was wondering if there was an interest in a RWBY game.  Pros:  Vast experience in RPGs Familiar with RWBY lore Creative  Cons: Tired of GMing :(
I do love M&M, and haven't gotten too much of an opportunity to play it very much.  My knowledge of RWBY is very little, though some quick googling gives me a bit of feel for it.  I've actually been meaning to do a Bleach game using M&M, and RWBY and Bleach seem to have at least a little bit in common genre-wise.  And, I could, of course, watch a few episodes.   So, I'm interested, at least, time and schedules permitting.  I'm in US Central time, although my schedule can get a bit hectic.  If you don't mind, could you say what in particular attracts you to the RWBY setting?  My guess is some combination of high action, impressive abilities, and super cool monsters (the last one being great fun from a GM perspective).  
Much like bleach, the high action setting is a big part of it. However If we are putting bleach beside it, its more investigative about solving what exactly is going on. The abilities of the character is less of a factor. While they are still impressive, they are limited to a Degree.  If I had to choose one thing it would be how essential teamwork is to overcome the crazy cool monsters.  I hope that helps
Hello there! I'm throwing in my interest as well.  Here's some questions for you guys. What do you think would be a suitable power-level for this game? What kind of house-ruling would be indeed in order for a sembalance to capture what's shown on the show? 
It does.  I think I grok the basic idea of the game/setting, at least.  re:  House Rules, I have a few that I just use in general for M&M.  But, given what Sponicus said, I could easily imagine a kind of teamwork-based power stunting/countering mechanic that could easily be worked in, maybe making that more of a thing.  I actually kind of think teamwork is an underused element in the game as it is.
So true, and its pretty easy to make the semblances.
PL 9-11 seems to be the common PLs in the builds on the ATT that I just glanced at.  The important thing is to peg how PCs are supposed to stack up against "mundane" things like guns and whatever that exist in the setting.  That, and to make your life easier adapting stats for things.   I'm spectacularly busy at the moment.  For the next few weeks at least.  And, I'm utterly unfamiliar with the RWBY lore.  But, they have a wiki, etc.  If it'd be helpful, though, I could probably run an M&M one-shot or two just as a meet and greet and also to help out with system familiarity.  I'm also happy to help out with some house rules and stuff like that with M&M.  I'm reasonably plugged into those sorts of things.   You guys wanna schedule a skype chat or something equivalent sometime?
I'm interested, depending on what day / time you end up playing in, I'm fairly familiar with the RWBY setting (even made up my own team) and I'm also fairly familiar with the RWBY setting, having seen all the episodes up to this point 
That sounds like a fun idea, currently I just helped stat out some stuff for a friends MM game, and really all it came down to was how much above human average you wanna make them. Cause a 0 mod means its a 50 / 50 shot for the average human to accomplish something DC 10.   In his game they are running PL 8 and some really absurd powers are running amok, such as regeneration and fire auras in a setting where someones who is considered a prodigy in the show has the power to control magnetism and displays the equivalent power of Move Object 5 restricted to metal... In hind sight she is like magneto meets Achilles lol

Edited 1471628272
Sponicus said: That sounds like a fun idea, currently I just helped stat out some stuff for a friends MM game, and really all it came down to was how much above human average you wanna make them. Cause a 0 mod means its a 50 / 50 shot for the average human to accomplish something DC 10.   In his game they are running PL 8 and some really absurd powers are running amok, such as regeneration and fire auras in a setting where someones who is considered a prodigy in the show has the power to control magnetism and displays the equivalent power of Move Object 5 restricted to metal... In hind sight she is like magneto meets Achilles lol I would say the average RWBY character is PL 8 or PL 9 
Well as far as availability im free pretty much any time. I work 4 hours a day, sleep maybe 7 hours n the rest is pretty mucb free

Edited 1471629799
I'll gladly defer to your guys' assessment of PL. &nbsp;I found these builds online after a quick search, for what it's worth: &nbsp; <a href="http://roninarmy.com/threads/2816-Builds-of-The-Ma" rel="nofollow">http://roninarmy.com/threads/2816-Builds-of-The-Ma</a>... It's a bit important to keep PL separate from "power" in a lot of senses. &nbsp;Batman, Wolverine, and Lady Shiva are all fairly high PL (11-12ish), but can't throw tanks. &nbsp;By contrast, you could have a PL 3 person who can run the speed of light. &nbsp;He just lacks combat ability. &nbsp; This is only semi-relevant to this campaign setting, probably. &nbsp;But, my usual operating procedure is to use a couple of benchmarks to figure out where I want the PCs to be. &nbsp;Since I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel, I usually look at how I want them to fair against a group of street thugs and something tougher, like a SWAT Team (which is a good proxy for badass but conventional criminals), and work from there. &nbsp; That's a long-winded way of saying "gut check," though :). &nbsp; I could find an hour or so to chat this weekend, but no longer than that. &nbsp;I'm crushed with work for the next week or two. EDIT: &nbsp;I'm pretty busy, though it sounds like Sponicus is flexible. &nbsp;Every other Thursday could possibly work for me. &nbsp;Occasional weekends might, too, though I'm not sure. &nbsp;This is a rough time planning-wise for me (sorry!), just b/c it's the very beginning of a new semester.
&gt;&nbsp;I would say the average RWBY character is PL 8 or PL 9 Sounds fair enough to me. Especially since there's time to grow to PL 10.&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp;Every other Thursday could possibly work for me. I'm good for a Thursday game along with the occasional weekend one as well.&nbsp;
Alejandro L. said: &gt;&nbsp;I would say the average RWBY character is PL 8 or PL 9 Sounds fair enough to me. Especially since there's time to grow to PL 10.&nbsp; &gt;&nbsp;Every other Thursday could possibly work for me. I'm good for a Thursday game along with the occasional weekend one as well.&nbsp; Every Other Thursday works good for me as well.&nbsp;
Depending on what time on thursdays this may work
Sponicus said: Depending on what time on thursdays this may work What would work with you? We'll narrow it down bit by bit.&nbsp;

Edited 1471761992
Well im in Japan so my timeings are very interesting, I got another 6 months before I go back home. SO anything like 8PM EST - 12pm EST should be fine. I gotta leave for work after that, any earlier and I guarantee im still asleep unless its the only way to make this work
Idle curiosity, where in Japan? &nbsp;8 pm EST - 12 pm EST works perfectly fine for me. &nbsp;
Im located in Nagoya, I hope to hit up Tokyo before i leave
8pm EST works fine with me&nbsp;
I'm good for the the day and time as well.
That was almost magical how that 1 time slot worked for everyone XD
Sponicus said: That was almost magical how that 1 time slot worked for everyone XD This game was made to happen. It needs to happen. So, maybe it WILL happen?&nbsp;
Are we going to get a group together? or what?&nbsp;
I think were just waiting for it to be built and invites to go out, Skype; Ragos90
Do you guys have room for one more player? I have a lot of experience with the M&M system (although it is second edition) as a GM and a Player. I also LOVE the RWBY universe.
Sponicus, Nicholas, Alejandro, Cody, Alec..... Seems like enough people to field a team of four and a GM to me :)
Sponicus said: Sponicus, Nicholas, Alejandro, Cody, Alec..... Seems like enough people to field a team of four and a GM to me :) so you're not gming?&nbsp;
:/ i thought nick would be, however I guess this is something we should consider... who is interested in GMing?
Sponicus said: :/ i thought nick would be, however I guess this is something we should consider... who is interested in GMing? The dream is dead~ D:
Sponicus said: :/ i thought nick would be, however I guess this is something we should consider... who is interested in GMing? Nick admitted to not knowing anything about the RWBY universe, I'm too busy to gm&nbsp; Alejandro L. said: The dream is dead~ D: Pretty much&nbsp; Just for future reference, you should make it clear in your OP that you don't want to gm, and tag the thread LFGM, cause when I hear interest check I assume you are looking for players.&nbsp;
I had no idea if people even ran this hence interest check
Sponicus said: Cons: Tired of GMing :( &nbsp;&lt;---------
I would be more than happy to GM, but it should be noted that I have a rather odd style of play. Also, I would probably run second edition, as that is the book i have and the game i have experience playing

Edited 1472076901
Alec D. said: I would be more than happy to GM, but it should be noted that I have a rather odd style of play. Also, I would probably run second edition, as that is the book i have and the game i have experience playing An odd style of play?&nbsp; Please tell me more . Otherwise, the dream is alive again. :D
Alejandro L. said: Alec D. said: I would be more than happy to GM, but it should be noted that I have a rather odd style of play. Also, I would probably run second edition, as that is the book i have and the game i have experience playing An odd style of play?&nbsp; Please tell me more . Otherwise, the dream is alive again. :D I tend to avoid dice rolls for most social skills, I prefer a more organic play style. Also, I don't like to plan much story. I usually have an end goal in mind, a few scenarios and prompts, and some pre-made enemies(goons and villains). I prefer to let my players find there own way in a story. The rest I just pull from the top of my head.
Cody R. said: Nick admitted to not knowing anything about the RWBY universe, I'm too busy to gm&nbsp; Yeah. &nbsp;It'd be weird for me to run a game in a universe that literally the sum total of knowledge I have consists of 5 minutes on the wiki and the original teaser trailer. &nbsp; I did note that the OP said Sponicus wasn't super into GMing, but there was also the "too much free time." &nbsp;Sadly, my free time is very limited. &nbsp;It's nearly 9 o'clock here and I'm still working, and will be till ... Brooklyn, I suppose.&nbsp; I'm still potentially interested in something M&M-ish. &nbsp;Either RWBY or something else. &nbsp;Although my preference would be something a little different than the standard ye olde PL 10 crime busters (that's a soft preference, but one nonetheless). &nbsp; Alec, I think it'd be hard for me to go back to 2E at this point. &nbsp;Not that 2E is bad. &nbsp;Far from it. &nbsp;The small differences might just continually throw me off. &nbsp;For what it's worth the 3E srd is very complete. &nbsp;Beyond that, the more sandboxy type of gameplay strikes me as potentially interesting. &nbsp;The rolling stuff you talk about doesn't strike me as particularly idiosyncratic. &nbsp;I don't necessarily know how all that would sync up with the RWBY setting, but I know so little about it. &nbsp;
Alec D. said: Alejandro L. said: Alec D. said: I would be more than happy to GM, but it should be noted that I have a rather odd style of play. Also, I would probably run second edition, as that is the book i have and the game i have experience playing An odd style of play?&nbsp; Please tell me more . Otherwise, the dream is alive again. :D I tend to avoid dice rolls for most social skills, I prefer a more organic play style. Also, I don't like to plan much story. I usually have an end goal in mind, a few scenarios and prompts, and some pre-made enemies(goons and villains). I prefer to let my players find there own way in a story. The rest I just pull from the top of my head. That is something that has been popping up recently among the gaming groups I am already a part of, so I can get behind that style of GMing. ( As far as planning stories go, I know exactly what you mean.) Also I do want to apologize for any miscommunication on my end earlier in the thread, the sheer excitement for RWBY has clouded my ability to organize my thoughts.
Nicholas A. said: Alec, I think it'd be hard for me to go back to 2E at this point. &nbsp;Not that 2E is bad. &nbsp;Far from it. &nbsp;The small differences might just continually throw me off. &nbsp;For what it's worth the 3E srd is very complete. &nbsp;Beyond that, the more sandboxy type of gameplay strikes me as potentially interesting. &nbsp;The rolling stuff you talk about doesn't strike me as particularly idiosyncratic. &nbsp;I don't necessarily know how all that would sync up with the RWBY setting, but I know so little about it. &nbsp; I'm afraid I just don't have the 3E book. I do think the 2E rules are more than good enough for a RWBY campaign. Plus it my understanding that while some of the particular rules were changed for 3E, the core rules stayed relativly the same. (though I could be mistaken about that).
Heya! This looks interesting! My Skype is ferelonshaderoot. Message me when you can!